Freshmen running back trio creating excitement

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_f0fe1f62-2ccf-52a1-ac9e-114bc4f94e8f.html

So, Nebraska has three talented freshmen running backs, each one boasting breakaway speed and big-play capability.

Fast. Explosive. Agile.

That's how Jared Crick describes them.

"That's all you want in a back," the senior defensive tackle said.

Big Red faithful begin to salivate at the thought of Aaron Green turning the corner on an option pitch, Ameer Abdullah shedding a linebacker or Braylon Heard bursting between the tackles and outrunning a safety to the end zone.

Ron Brown sees the potential.

But he doesn't understand all the fuss.

Hey, didn't it always used to be this way?

"Back in the day, when we were running the football, we always had great I-backs. Are you kidding me?" said Brown, the veteran Nebraska assistant who's beginning his first year coaching running backs.

"We had a room full of great running backs. That was always the case. It's ‘we'-backs. We've got a bunch of good ones."

That was Brown's message to Abdullah, Green and Heard, the three true freshmen running backs who've been earning strong reviews in Nebraska's fall camp.

"Back in the day, when we were running the football, we always had great I-backs. Are you kidding me?" said Brown, the veteran Nebraska assistant who's beginning his first year coaching running backs."

Back in the day, when we were winning and we had an offense that really worked. Let's run the damn ball!

"Back in the day, when we were running the football, we always had great I-backs. Are you kidding me?" said Brown, the veteran Nebraska assistant who's beginning his first year coaching running backs."

Back in the day, when we were winning and we had an offense that really worked. Let's run the damn ball!

back in the day we had the best offensive line in football....

Not sure if this has been brought up any place else... but could you imagine if we ran the inverted wishbone or diamond formation with these three in the backfield and Burkhead taking the snaps?! Even Turner for that matter... not sure about anyone else but i wouldnt want to be the d coordinator of the opposing team

Yes, because Wisconsin has won so many bcs games and nc's with that mindset..running the ball 70/30, 80/20 or 90/10 works...

Yes, because Wisconsin has won so many bcs games and nc's with that mindset..running the ball 70/30, 80/20 or 90/10 works...

Wisconsin is a run heavy pro-style offense. There are worlds of difference between that and Osborne's offense of the 90's, which was very run heavy and came excruciatingly close to winning five straight national championships.