SEC says no to aTm

The SEC has decided not to extend an invitation to aTm to enter the SEC conference.

They are now at the mercy of

Texas and the Shorthorn Network.

Um, no. But I think the other 80 posts on this have illustrated why this is a false assumption.

Plus, between the ESPN/Big XII contract issues and the possibility of Missouri being the other school, the SEC probably wants to make it doubly clear they're not courting anyone from the Big XII *wink wink nudge nudge*.

Hadn't heard about the Big XII/ESPN contract stipulations until now, but if they're legit, it makes sense why there's a little bit of brake pumpin' going on.

As is stipulated in the Andy Staples article, A&M MUST apply FIRST before a formal invitation or vote can occur. (Same thing happened with y'all last year and B1G). A&M will make that request Tuesday. Everything is on pace. On Wednesday or Thursday, you will see heads all over the University of Texas and ESPN exploding, and it will be glorious. :)

As is stipulated in the Andy Staples article, A&M MUST apply FIRST before a formal invitation or vote can occur. (Same thing happened with y'all last year and B1G). A&M will make that request Tuesday. Everything is on pace. On Wednesday or Thursday, you will see heads all over the University of Texas and ESPN exploding, and it will be glorious. :)

Don't you worry about Texas, they will be fine. At least that's what they keep saying. :espnsucks::nutz

Let's all remember, A&M, along with all the remaining Big 12 teams, signed a 10 year contract to stay with the league. The SEC does not want any part of breaking that contract, its not their business. A&M must find a way out of it or settle up with a payment before they can move. Along with the process of applying and voting..this will happen.

Let's all remember, A&M, along with all the remaining Big 12 teams, signed a 10 year contract to stay with the league. The SEC does not want any part of breaking that contract, its not their business. A&M must find a way out of it or settle up with a payment before they can move. Along with the process of applying and voting..this will happen.

Actually, them leaving just voids the whole thing apparently since it'd be under 10 teams, and its an agreement with the conference not the schools at that point.

But...

[offtopic]

Here's my problem, this thread was moved to this forum, I understand it's other teams material and should be here, but 2 other threads were already started about it, we jumped on one had some discussion and a few hours later welcome thread linked by the moved-> symbol from the main forum where everyone goes and ignores all the other posted material in the other thread that was originally created in the correct forum. I guess to the main forum browsers it's not a rehash but some of us have been in the other sports forum discussing these things for weeks.

Now I won't claim that I can follow directions cause I noticed the sticky "no swearing" thing today. Totally sorry about that by the way, its just normal speech for me and I thought I was censoring myself with the asterisks.

But if that's the way it works we should all just create threads in the main forum around here, hope you'll move it to where it was supposed to be and we'll get twice the discussion while we pretend to just use one forum on this site.

Would merging the two bigger threads about this and deleting my... (same minute but not actually original) thread be hard? and if it is want me to code it so it is not anymore?

Sorry it's just a little irksome, discussing the same thing in 2-3 different threads on an actually good forum. After stopping trying to coach aggy fans going through the same meltdowns we went through last year on a forum with a 5 post limit (who knew texags sucked so bad? never bothered to try it until now).

[/offtopic]

SEC did not say 'no' to aTm. The SEC is basically covering their butts for any potential lawsuits that could come. Remember how the Big East sued the ACC when Boston College, VA Tech and Miami switched conferences? The SEC is trying to avoid that same type of mess.

aTm will kindly slide their application under the SEC's door, and the SEC will quickly approve. The SEC will then say they did not 'invite' anyone, and try to stay above any potential lawsuit.

Ya, I think this is all about covering their ass and avoiding tampering charges. I can't see the SEC leaving ATM swinging in the breeze, if they had qualms about accepting ATM I would think they'd worked it out BEFORE things got public.

SEC did not say 'no' to aTm. The SEC is basically covering their butts for any potential lawsuits that could come. Remember how the Big East sued the ACC when Boston College, VA Tech and Miami switched conferences? The SEC is trying to avoid that same type of mess.

aTm will kindly slide their application under the SEC's door, and the SEC will quickly approve. The SEC will then say they did not 'invite' anyone, and try to stay above any potential lawsuit.

Ya, I think this is all about covering their ass and avoiding tampering charges. I can't see the SEC leaving ATM swinging in the breeze, if they had qualms about accepting ATM I would think they'd worked it out BEFORE things got public.

Pretty much. TAM wouldn't have their meeting tomorrow so they can officially apply to the SEC without knowing whether or not they'd be accepted. They've probably already been "accepted" for several days at the very least.

A&M is still pretty likely SEC bound.

I think I saw that Texas alone has 46% of the population of all other SEC states...and it adds 2 Top-10 TV markets to the SEC. That is big money and exposure for the conference in TV revenue. A&M makes sense geographically, politically, financially, and CULTURALLY. A&M is an SEC culture school...much like I view UNL to be a B1G culture school.

Ahhh...but don't forget that $ Bill Byrne and their school President went on the offensive with that and said aTm never agreed to or signed anything regarding a 10-team Big XII. That was two or three months ago in the DMN paper--I'll see if I can find it.

If there's even a shred of truth to this statement, then the Big XII will be forced to settle with aTm for exit fees, not unlike what Nebraska did with the Big XII when the league was confident they were getting $20-30 million from us, and ultimately got approx. $9 million instead. :laughpound

So I wouldn't worry too much about that 10 year contract, especially since it's supposedly null and void once the conference dips below 10 teams.

Ahhh...but don't forget that $ Bill Byrne and their school President went on the offensive with that and said aTm never agreed to or signed anything regarding a 10-team Big XII. That was two or three months ago in the DMN paper--I'll see if I can find it.

If there's even a shred of truth to this statement, then the Big XII will be forced to settle with aTm for exit fees, not unlike what Nebraska did with the Big XII when the league was confident they were getting $20-30 million from us, and ultimately got approx. $9 million instead. :laughpound

So I wouldn't worry too much about that 10 year contract, especially since it's supposedly null and void once the conference dips below 10 teams.

I believe you are right. I remember reading that aTm would not sign the agreement, maybe in the OWH.

Sure hope so, bud. Sure hope so.

Sure hope so, bud. Sure hope so.

The aTm board voted yesterday that it is free to move out of the Big 12. So we are on track for them to make a request on Tuesday and be accepted on Wednesday or Thursday.