The Battle for NU

knapplc

The Battle For NU  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We, Nebraska, are NU. We have been NU all my life, 4-plus decades. We have branded NU across two dozen conference championships, five national championships, miscellaneous hundred dozen news articles covering our teams and who knows how many thousands of Nebraska publications.

We are NU.

For the last half-century, this has not been a question, it has not been in doubt and it has not been a problem.

But now that we're in the same conference, our new brethren seem intent on slapping us with the "NEB" label. Seems they're all so used to calling Northwestern "NU" that they're not changing.

Well, I won't have it. This cannot be. We cannot just give up our name simply because they were there first. We have a greater claim to this name, not Northwestern.

THIS should have been our first trophy game. The trophy can be simple - a wood pediment tall enough for a plaque on which will be inscribed the victor of each year's contest and the score, the winner gaining the right to be "NU" for the year. Atop the trophy we could place a nickel- or brass-plated NU, something simple. The trophy would travel, staying in Lincoln most of the time, and once or twice a century we'd let it vacation in Evanston, just so they'd know what it looks like.

I envision this becoming an annual war of words - genially so, of course - between the two schools. If no trophy is created, certainly the debate over the moniker will still rage on.

And in case anyone is under the impression that Northwestern is coming into their annual matchup against Nebraska feeling like an underdog, you'd better think again. Not only do they feel as if they can beat us now, there is talk that 1995 Northwestern Wildcats, who won the Big Ten and went to the Rose Bowl, may have been a better team than 1995 Nebraska.

I kid you not:

"Somewhere else" an argument is raging about 1995 Nebraska vs.1995 Northwestern. I think it's safe to say that Nebraska would have beaten NU the majority of times on a neutral field.

According to the Massey Ratings (used by the BCS), 1995 Northwestern had the 2nd best defense, 18th best offense and 4th toughest schedule. Very impressive, right?

Nebraska '95 ranked 1st in defense, 1st in offense and (guess what) 1st in strength of schedule (SOS).

The Howell Ratings (another rating system) ranks Nebraska 1st overall but rates Northwestern's schedule as the toughest (Nebraska's schedule rates 24th).

In other words, there is some debate about the strength of schedule, but is it enough to bridge the apparent gap between the 2 "Who Would be NUs"?

Using a simulation program, I ran 500 iterations of the NU vs. UNL matchup on a neutral field AND accounting for strength of schedule -- I used Howell's SOS, which favored NU. This program sees Nebraska as the overwhelming favorite, with the Huskers having won 95% of the time. The average final score was 33-13.

If you decide that SOS is a confound because the 2 computer rating systems disagree, look at the raw numbers:

Nebraska: Huskers PPG: 53.2, Opponent PPG: 14.5

Northwestern: 'Cats PPG: 25.9, Opponent PPG: 15.1

Northwestern scored fewer points per game and allowed more points per game than did UNL. If you accept that maybe NU's schedule was 1st and Nebraska's "only" 24th (though Massey disagrees), the offensive disparity is way too great for Northwestern to overcome.

Would anybody like me to run other simulations to end ridiculous arguments at "other places"?

That's a post from a Scout board. Not joking.

EDIT - added poll. Polls are so much fun.

• Fire 2

They are kinda like Kansas State... colors, Mascot wise and probably fan base size. Just most of them have a brain and some realistic perspective. That being said, I'm going to point you to the most ridiculous post I've ever seen regarding Nebraska joining the big ten. Please realize before hand that it is a troll (and if it is someone that actually went to Northwestern pray he doesn't actually work with numbers or finding logic in numbers anywhere important to the economy). Even if it is a troll, the fact that someone would go to the even small amount of trouble to "research" and manipulate numbers to try and support the conclusions he's drawn is both idiotic and kind of funny.

The post: PROOF: NOT enough FB TALENT to compete -- Nebraska

It is a link to a rivals forum, but its a free (to read) post.

We traded a team of purple wildcats that recruits almost exclusively juco kids for a team of purple wildcats that fields kids that will probably eventually be Lawyers or MBAs. Neither seem like something to be feared. I'm sure they'll have plenty of words, future Lawyers always do. What they'll learn pretty quickly is playing the real NU does not equate to playing Iowa and we will always have the overall scoreboard. Which ends every other argument as far as I am concerned.

The 95 Northwestern team that got housed in the Rose Bowl by an above average USC team that lost to Notre Dame and Penn St that year? That's hilarious.

The also lost to Miami.

Miami of Ohio.

At home.

But the debate "rages" whether they were good enough to beat us.

:facepalm:

I think Nebraska showed Northwestern who really deserves the "NU" title when we met in the 00' Alamo bowl game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18eM2DKC-y8

That year was silly, we should have been playing for a title. NW was so far overmatched in that game they didnt deserve to even be mentioned in the same sentence as NU.

Except we slept on OU and got rolled, and let's not even bring up the snow job in Manhattan.

Northwestern is almost always referred to as NW. I am not sure how many are planning a trip to Evanston next year but it makes a great getaway weekend. Stay in downtown Chicago and arrive Thursday evening. Tool around Chicago Friday. There's a ton to do in Chicago and great restaurants. Head up to Evanston for the game on Saturday. Just hope the game is early in the season and you get good weather. The stadium is less than a mile from the lake. I went in early November once. We had great weather on Friday then Saturday was miserable. Parking & traffic could be an issues so you need to plan ahead. Could always take the train from downtown.

The 95 Northwestern team that got housed in the Rose Bowl by an above average USC team that lost to Notre Dame and Penn St that year? That's hilarious.

The also lost to Miami.

Miami of Ohio.

At home.

But the debate "rages" whether they were good enough to beat us.

It was the first year they were relevant (read: not embarrassing) in years, coached by a crooked coach, and just not at all ready for the big time. That article is bleacher report worthy.

While I understand that there is a pride factor in claiming NU for both schools... a trophy rivalry, seriously?

Iowa's a border state and they have an over inflated sense of greatness, so it will be fun holding onto the somewhat lame but good intentioned attempt at a trophy for years at a time.

Do we really want to go about creating 'rivalries' with the teams that aren't perennial contenders for conference championships? Sure its fun to talk a little smack but I'm not 100% comfortable aiming for Iowa as much more then stepping stone on the way to championships. Northwestern would be worse. Not a team to be overlooked right now for sure, but definitely not a team that you want to be focused on as some sort of big event if you beat them.

Lets focus on keeping Michigan, MSU and Iowa out of championship games and beating tOSU, PSU, and Wisc in them, IMO, not manufacturing (more) rivalries against historically bad teams.

Yes, a trophy rivalry, really really. The first and foremost reason for doing it would be point out the stupidity of naming Iowa a "rival" because they happen to be on the other side of the river.

I would far rather battle for the "NU" moniker than for some hokey made up "rivalry."