The Battle for NU

knapplc

The Battle For NU  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would just like to say this. When has Nebraska EVER been referred to as "Nebraska University"? Aren't we the University of Nebraska? Northwestern has always gone by NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY.

Michigan is the University of Michigan...they go by UM, not MU.

I should just stay away, this is absolutely ridiculous. Who cares?!

• Fire 1

While I understand that there is a pride factor in claiming NU for both schools... a trophy rivalry, seriously?

Iowa's a border state and they have an over inflated sense of greatness, so it will be fun holding onto the somewhat lame but good intentioned attempt at a trophy for years at a time.

You just decribed Missouri, Kansas State and Colorado.

Iowa State and Kansas are border states but generally know their status in college football.

We had a trophy with Missouri.. that hardly anyone knew it existed. Guess we should have created meaningless trophies with Kansas State and Colorado too just to hold onto them for years at a time.

Trophies are dumb unless they have a reason to exist. There is no reason for a trophy with Iowa. There's a slight reason for one with Northwestern but no-one would care. There's a reason for one with Michigan and Penn State based on real history, but those also need to develop further.

Creating these "rivalries" and "Trophy Games" out of nothing just for the sake of having them is very, very lame.

I would just like to say this. When has Nebraska EVER been referred to as "Nebraska University"? Aren't we the University of Nebraska? Northwestern has always gone by NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY.

I believe their is a song that refers to us as that...can't put my finger on it though...something like 'Dear old Nebraska U' :)

• Fire 2

I believe their is a song that refers to us as that...can't put my finger on it though...something like 'Dear old Nebraska U' :)

I must be too young. I mean all it comes down to is someone being to lazy to type out "Nebraska" or "Northwestern"....I really can't say I have any pride toward the fact on what our abbreviation is. :dunno

To be honest I'm not as caught up in this as some people, but I'm not trying to insult or knock on the people that do care about it. It's just how I feel.

As far as trophy games are concerned, I'm not all that interested in the Battle for NU. I think that trophy games should be held between two teams that have a lot of history together or have a reason to want to beat the snot out of the other every year. Nebraska and Northwestern don't have a lot of current history nor bad blood other than the whole "NU" debate, and it's sort of mundane to me. Furthermore, they're in completely different stratospheres as far as history, tradition and player skill are concerned. That's not to say Northwestern doesn't have good players or isn't a good program, but Nebraska is better.

I must be too young. I mean all it comes down to is someone being to lazy to type out "Nebraska" or "Northwestern"....I really can't say I have any pride toward the fact on what our abbreviation is. :dunno

It's more than forums though - you'll have to stare at it all game because the abbreviations are next to the score. I'd rather it didn't say "NEB" They could label us both NU since we'll know the Huskers are the team w/ the bigger number next to their abbreviation - but I'm not sure ESPN/ABC would go for that.

While I understand that there is a pride factor in claiming NU for both schools... a trophy rivalry, seriously?

Iowa's a border state and they have an over inflated sense of greatness, so it will be fun holding onto the somewhat lame but good intentioned attempt at a trophy for years at a time.

You just decribed Missouri, Kansas State and Colorado.

Iowa State and Kansas are border states but generally know their status in college football.

We had a trophy with Missouri.. that hardly anyone knew it existed. Guess we should have created meaningless trophies with Kansas State and Colorado too just to hold onto them for years at a time.

Trophies are dumb unless they have a reason to exist. There is no reason for a trophy with Iowa. There's a slight reason for one with Northwestern but no-one would care. There's a reason for one with Michigan and Penn State based on real history, but those also need to develop further.

Creating these "rivalries" and "Trophy Games" out of nothing just for the sake of having them is very, very lame.

I'll admit I didn't know it existed. How I found out was playing college football by EA sports. I thought it was a made up trophy by EA sports so I had to google it to see if it was real or not. Since learning about the history of the bell, i've never seen it on the sideline during the game.

It really isn't that terribly important. Obviously the University hasn't done a very good job as branding us as NU - Northwestern's has (google). We would have the power to take NU easily if we wanted from a national branding standpoint but I think Harvey must like UNL.

Nebraska is fine for me - its just when I see articles and see NU I automatically think Nebraska and so does pretty much everyone outside of the Big Ten. NW just makes more sense but it's the University's fault that we don't use NU.

I was at that game in San Antonio. Happened to get tickets in a group of NWestern fans , who were pretty obnoxious the first part of the game. I guess evidently the NW players were also a little obnoxious , as Solich told his team to take the gloves off and we really put it to them after awhile. The NWestern fans were saying things like "send them back to the CornFields" at the start of the game. Of course when NU went WAY out in front , I replied within earshot " send them back to the slums" ! :corndance

I think Nebraska showed Northwestern who really deserves the "NU" title when we met in the 00' Alamo bowl game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18eM2DKC-y8

Regardless on what some (or most) think of the idea, I think the sentiment behind the Heroes game is a good one. I'm glad to support that idea. I can't get into the idea of this, though. Regardless of how you refer to it, most years this will be a blowout in our favor. Likely like Iowa State, Kansas State, Missouri, etc... teams you're used to beating, and fairly handily, but every once in a while, they'd step up and give you a game, and even win. Heck, Iowa State won against Tommie Frazier in his first year, so anything's possible. But I can't see developing this into that type of game. I think Michigan State, Michigan, Penn State, history with the last two, and the potential of the first... and even Wisconsin, though they're in the other division, because of the ties between the programs... but Northwestern... just nothing there for my money at this point.

What about Wisconsin, they cheer Go Big Red. That might get a little confusing.

WHAT!?!!??? Blasphemy! We cannot stand for this! Gimme a minute and I'll think of another trophy game name.

In the meantime, vote in the updated poll.

EDIT - you can vote in the updated poll by clicking "delete my vote," then voting on both options.