Whorn TV for everyone in the USA? Looking like it...

Note: this is rumor only, but the source has been reliable in the past re: Verizon programming and update changes w/me in the past.

Talked with one of my friends which handles Verizon FiOS installations and support down here in Texas (which, may I add, is such a choice service--very few qualms with their TV or internet service).

Apparently Verizon FiOS will be one of the first television providers to convert over to the Longwhorn Network. I said 'convert', because Verizon supposedly will be doing away with ESPN Classic and replacing it with the dreaded Longhorn Network.

Eventually, ESPN Classic itself will cease to exist (or will be converted into a type of show on all ESPN channels instead of being its own channel) and the channel will be converted to Bevo TV for everyone. This helps ESPN bypass problem carrier negotiations that aren't going well at all (save Verizon--they'll take anything--look for it on channel 320 in SD here in the next week), and it helps ESPN cut expenses (in a way...) from one of it's lowest performing networks.

Not saying it's going to happen exactly as such, but it appears that ESPN looking at using an end around to slip the channel in by re-purposing an existing channel that television providers have already contracted for and agreed to.

Take it for what you will, but I, for one, will be pissed if the Whorns not only kill the Big XII, but ESPN Classic to boot.

If this is true--replacing ESPN Classic with the Whorn Network--there will be a HUGE outcry. Rioting, bloodshed, mayhem. And that's just at my house.

Same here.

But when I think about it, I only stop down for ESPN Classic when Nebraska's on, and that's via DVR. Live content--we don't get to skip commercials and people typically don't time-shift.

I can't remember the last time I watched anything on that channel anyway. So, no big loss either way. I/we just better NOT be charged extra for it, though.

If you have it, you already are paying for it. Swapping one out for the other wont change that.

If they think classic is under-performing though how do they think changing it to a channel absolutely nobody outside of Texas cares about and even those in Texas don't care about enough to demand it be added to their cable lineups will do? That's why I find it a little unbelievable.

I can't remember the last time I watched anything on that channel anyway. So, no big loss either way. I/we just better NOT be charged extra for it, though.

I remember when I had it I always used to watch the game shows Stump the Shwab and 2 Minute Drill and I think there was one other one but I can't remember.

Dunno if carriers would be happy about that either. This is freaking hilarious.

As for DirecTV, spokesman Robert Mercer said that while discussions have taken place, "we have no plans right now to carry it. We understand Longhorn has other programming that may be of value to a small segment of our customers, but two UT football games do not constitute a network."

http://www.chron.com/sports/longhorns/article/A-limited-launch-for-Longhorn-Network-2141921.php

DirecTV spokesman Robert Mercer is a bad-ass.

speaking of nobody watching game day was in Austin this morning and there was nobody there! I only saw the last half hour but there were just a couple people chilling on a berm near by. Either school hasn't started or they are really fair weather fans there.

Dunno if carriers would be happy about that either. This is freaking hilarious.

As for DirecTV, spokesman Robert Mercer said that while discussions have taken place, "we have no plans right now to carry it. We understand Longhorn has other programming that may be of value to a small segment of our customers, but two UT football games do not constitute a network."

http://www.chron.com/sports/longhorns/article/A-limited-launch-for-Longhorn-Network-2141921.php

DirecTV spokesman Robert Mercer is a bad-ass.

I like this guy..... I wish ESPN wouldve thought the samething.