Official - A&M sends notice to Beebe, Big 12 that they are exploring options

knapplc

I did predict that Texas can grab an ex-SWC team any time they wanted; like when they get excluded from the BCSCG for not having played a conference champsionship game. However it appears that TCU would not join them even if invited.

TCU's got a good thing going, they are completely separate from the rest of the Texas drama and making their own name, so who could really blame them?

and yeah I agree 100%, They could add any of the other old SWC members that were left out of the big time when the SWC dissolved in a heartbeat. You're probably also right on the timetable, IF nobody besides A&M gets frustrated first. The likelyhood of Texas being the one getting screwed by not having a CCG is probably about 30%. OU will probably come to that realization first, especially if Texas doesn't rebound to "powerhouse" (and I use that term as loosely as possible) status this season or next. At that point it will basically depend on how stuck OU has made themselves, since the rumor is the pac12 has basically told them "Ohh great you're interested in joining us again? with Texas then? Ohh, well that wasn't an individual offer." After the big ten also turned down a 4 school big 12 package deal with OU/Kansas and two schools I don't remember seeing named (but had to be KSU and OSU).

Reports coming out that A&M could announce it's departure this week IF the SEC is willing to expand

Fox Sports

A person with knowledge of what was discussed during a conference call of the Big 12 board of directors Saturday told The Associated Press that Texas A&M officials talked about their anticipated departure.

''No major surprises,'' said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the talks. ''A&M didn't say they were leaving, but certainly gave every indication that's what they plan on doing.''

As for the timing of such a move, that person said, ''it would not be a surprise that it would happen sometime this week'' and likely the only thing that could keep that from happening would be if the 12-team SEC determines it is not ready to add any more teams at this point.

The Big 12 is so f'd. How does a conference earn BCS status? How many teams does the Big 12 need to lose before they lose their status?

Hasn't the Big East always been 8 teams? That's probably the minimum. And there used to be something where if your champ averaged worse than #15 over a 3 year period (or something like that), you could lose your automatic BCS bowl berth. I don't know if that is still true.

The Big 12 is so f'd. How does a conference earn BCS status? How many teams does the Big 12 need to lose before they lose their status?

Hasn't the Big East always been 8 teams? That's probably the minimum. And there used to be something where if your champ averaged worse than #15 over a 3 year period (or something like that), you could lose your automatic BCS bowl berth. I don't know if that is still true.

Unless the Big 12-3 completely breaks apart, I would say that the Big East would have to worry more about losing their BCS status, unless TCU can keep them there.