Relative skill of the freshman I-Backs

GMoose

I got to thinking today, how good our three freshmen running backs really? When I first heard that they were making waves, the first place my mind went was "well of course they are, we have no depth behind Rex." Especially thinking back to 09 when we burned Trey's RS after Burkhead went down rather than giving the green light to Austin Jones.

Now I'm considering their hype. I am a believer that recruiting services make so much money because they are in fact good at what they do. I'm not saying they're totally right about everything all the time, but they are getting better, and I believe they have gotten way better in the last two years. That considered, Green and Heard should in fact be studs. But it also sounds like Abdullah is right on par with them.

So I ask you, do you think these guys are as good as the coaches are making them sound, or are they just in this position because of the lack of depth behind Burkhead?

I think it's a little bit of both. All 3 have a lot of talent, and all 3 could see some significant carries this year. There is no doubt that they have raw physical talents, but I also question if they will be able to stand up to the pounding they might see in the B1G. Coach speak is a part of the game, and you will always hear it. It's also exciting to know that we have 3 very talented RB's behind Burkhead.

There's really no way of knowing the answer to your question until we see them on the field. I've watched all three run the ball and return punts at practice and I can tell you without question that all three are capable of running and catching. That's about all we're going to know until a week from tomorrow.

• Fire 1

Both valid points. Beyond the coach speak I tend to favor what the players say, and they're all praising them quite a bit too. Remember, Rex was pretty damn good as a true freshman...imagine having 4 Burkheads on the team. Regardless, I think I running game is going to be deadly for the next 3 years.

In practice abdullah and kenny bell run with no 2 offense and have several plays with pitches and reverses. I'd expect there will be different packages that highlight each players talents and best skills. I think behind burkhead it will be a steady rotation and don't think anyone will just be a super star but think they will do well.

I know when the Big Ten Network guys were on campus, Gerry Dinardo raved about Abdullah more than Green or Heard. Not a knock against AG or BH, but more of a compliment to Ameer. I loved the diamond formation seen in some of the practice videos too.

Are these in the videos on Huskers.com? And if so, which day?

good observations, behind Burkey they will all see action, until at least one of them shows more than the rest.

it will take actual season play to determine how good they are and in what pecking order they belong...having said that, expect freshman mistakes, they are part of the learning curve......fumbles scare me the most, turnovers kill.

I know when the Big Ten Network guys were on campus, Gerry Dinardo raved about Abdullah more than Green or Heard. Not a knock against AG or BH, but more of a compliment to Ameer. I loved the diamond formation seen in some of the practice videos too.

Practice Video

Here is yesterdays practice video, shows Ameer and Kenny Bell running a reverse.

• Fire 1

Here is the link about the 1:23 mark of the video. Video

*Note i think you have to be a rivals member to view it

• Fire 1

I'd love to see some different formations like that from time to time. If we have four (or even three) running backs who can all perform at a high level, imagine the confusion we could cause and the options we'd have if we could get all three of them on the field at the same time.

Practice VideoHere is yesterdays practice video, shows Ameer and Kenny Bell running a reverse.

Here is the link about the 1:23 mark of the video. Video*Note i think you have to be a rivals member to view it

Thanks guys!

WR---------T--G--C--G--T---------------WR

--------------RB----RB-------------------

-----------------QB----------------------

-----------------RB----------------------

This is the formation in the video if you can't view it. They had Ameer (front left), Green (front right), Taylor at QB, and Rex behind.