No more expanding!

MichiganMan

I'm wondering what happens in ten years if the super conferences come and fail. When the WAC had sixteen teams the top schools at the time broke off and formed their own conference. Do we add enough for the original B1G schools to keep us around? Would some of the other schools dare to turn their backs on a Minnesota or Indiana in favor of us? I agree that the super conferences are coming and its likely they're a success. But if they aren't we could find ourselves in bad position.

Super conferences are inevitable in my opinion. The Pac 10 was ready to go to 16 temas when the Big 12 nearly fell apart just last year. The pieces are already in motion. More teams equate to more revenue through expanded tv markets. The Big Ten already pays over 20 million dollars to each team and adding media markets would only increase this. The 16 team WAC is not comparable to the prospect of a super conference composed of major level programs. We left the Big 12 for a reason, and those still stuck there see the writing on the wall.

yep, they fell for Bebee's line of crap and promises he couldn't keep.........big fish, small pond.

I hate it, too. College football has been "fun", mostly in part because of traditional rivalries and the stories that go along with it. These super conferences just sterilizes it for me and I hope it doesn't come down to being forced down our throats. Either 10 or 12 is just right.

There's certainly charm to the traditions, I'm a big fan of the traditional bowls - even though they leave the final standings murky. I must say, however, that it was magical the first time we pointed across the field to see JoPa standing there. ... and for some reason, I find the addition of NU to the conference magical as well. Hell - I'm hanging around this board as much as the RCMB. As I've said in other threads - every NU game in the B10 this year is like a bowl game. With no ill will towards NU, somehow I feel like the conference needs to represent well in these first couple of years and not let some newcomer slap the conference around. I'll be watching every NU game this year like it's January 1.

I think that the trick is to add quality teams with great traditions.

I hate it, too. College football has been "fun", mostly in part because of traditional rivalries and the stories that go along with it. These super conferences just sterilizes it for me and I hope it doesn't come down to being forced down our throats. Either 10 or 12 is just right.

There's certainly charm to the traditions, I'm a big fan of the traditional bowls - even though they leave the final standings murky. I must say, however, that it was magical the first time we pointed across the field to see JoPa standing there. ... and for some reason, I find the addition of NU to the conference magical as well. Hell - I'm hanging around this board as much as the RCMB. As I've said in other threads - every NU game in the B10 this year is like a bowl game. With no ill will towards NU, somehow I feel like the conference needs to represent well in these first couple of years and not let some newcomer slap the conference around. I'll be watching every NU game this year like it's January 1.

I think that the trick is to add quality teams with great traditions.

Exactly. And, that's kind of the problem, too. If further expansion is the way of the future (against my wishes), I hope at least the B1G is in on the quality schools that will listen to an offer. If they take a wait and see approach, and 14-16 teams becomes the norm and not the exception, I certainly wouldn't want "leftovers" just to fill some slots.

I'm pretty confident that the B1G will only do what's best for the conference, and unfortunately for those that don't want any more change, well...sometimes your hand is forced by the environment that surrounds you. I like your enthusiasm MichiganMan, but there's a saying about 'best intentions'...

i don't see any reason to expand further unless we can add Notre Dame. then a 14th would make sense if it's somebody who can crack the east coast markets. i thought maybe maryland until i saw their new unis.

Haha are they bad? I'm imagining turtle shells where the 'feathers' are for Oregon.

I am hoping that we add Missouri before they end up elsewhere. I think they would be a decent addition. Then add an east coast team and wait for 15/16 until ND is finally ready.

Mizzu would give up their last meth lab to be able to join the Big 10.

I am hoping that we add Missouri before they end up elsewhere. I think they would be a decent addition. Then add an east coast team and wait for 15/16 until ND is finally ready.

Mizzu would give up their last meth lab to be able to join the Big 10.

I live in Missou country and we do not want them. They are arrogant SOB's who haven't learned how to handle their recent success. I think, if the B1G is going to expand they will go east to capture more TV market.

the innocence of college football shall soon be relegated to high school play.

........which isn't nearly as innocent as it once was, sadly to say. Many of the problems filter all the way down into pee wee programs. The sport as a whole has lost a lot of innocence over the years.

I just hope the B10 stands pat at 12 or is proactive in getting good programs. At this point it looks like SEC is getting A&M and possibly OU, Missouri. I don't want the B10 to settle on Kansas, Pitt and Rutgers. The only attractive programs for the B10 that make sense are ND and Missouri and maybe Maryland. OU, Texas or other ACC programs are not realistic.