Year Four

EZ-E

We are to the point in our program where our goal should be to win every single game.

Um, seriously? I should hope so...what was the goal prior? Pat yourself on the back for this little nugget. (size 5 even) :LOLtartar

I get what you're saying, but then again this is the main difference amongst Husker fans. There are those who believe we should win every game no matter what. Then, there are those of us that are realists where we hope for a good showing in some games. It isn't like this is some new phenomenom either. I felt the exact same way back in the 70's and 80's when TO was coach. Anytime we played a school from Florida in the bowl game, I prayed for a good showing.

Having said all of this, I believe EZ-E is right. Who do we play this year that really puts a scare in you? Ohio State might have before their implosion. If we were still in the Big 12, OU would scare me a bit. There are solid teams in the Big 10. However, there are no elite teams from the Big 10 now that Ohio State has run into problems. While we might stumble this year, there isn't a game on our schedule that I don't expect to win. This is the first time I can really say that since 2001.

I don't remember there being one last year I "didn't" expect to win. And that's not me believing we should win every game no matter what. We were pretty much favored in every game. Who'd you have us losing to? An undefeated K-State? Texas after back-to-back losses to UCLA and Oklahoma? Oklahoma State? Missouri? Certainly not Iowa State, Kansas, A&M or Colorado. Oklahoma in the championship game after loses to BOTH Missouri (a team we crushed) and A&M (a team we clearly beat)? If there was ever a year for us to contend it was last year. Our schedule/competition handed us the BCS on a platter.

...yet we lost 4 games. Not exactly contending for the MNC as the OP implied. That's my main point. It seems like everyone is gung ho over this season - yet last season was set up far better and we layed an egg. We aren't there yet, and we aren't as close as some think. I hope I'm wrong...but I still see 2-3 losses.

EDIT: Prove me wrong Bo - I'll be a happy guy :)

When a freshman who played receiver the previous year on the scout team was named the starting QB, I thought the year would be a little rough with a huge learning curve by Martinez. The two teams I thought we'd lose to before the season even started were Texas and OU. Texas was kind of in the same situation as us breaking in a new QB. However, Gilbert came in and did a pretty decent job when McCoy went down in the NC game. So, I gave them the edge. While OU wasn't on the schedule, I knew we'd either be playing them or Texas if we won the North. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect Texas to implode like they did last year.

Anytime we break in a freshman QB, there are lumps along the way. Even Frazier lost to lowly Iowa State his freshman year. Crouch took his lumps as well his freshman year. The schedule last year might have favored a run, but starting a freshman QB did not. This is why I'm cautiously optimistic this year. We all saw what Martinez was capable of last year. I'd be willing to bet he plays a lot more consistent and makes improvement. Ohio State scared the daylights out of me for a while, but things have dramatically changed. I think overcoming a new head coach and Pryor will be a reach for them.

I wouldn't be shocked at all for this season to somewhat mirror the 1999 season. I can see us losing to Wisconsin in the regular season, but then beating them in the Big 10 Championship game. As our recent luck would have it though, it will probably happen the other way around winning the regular season game and losing in the championship game as Wilson gets his mojo. Unless I'm really underestimating the Big 10, Wisconsin seems to be the major obstacle. Our chances are signficantly better in the Big 10 than the Big 12 considering three Big 12 teams are in the top 10.

I'll take that in a heartbeat. That 99 team was solid as a rock and should have played for all the marbles (VT got in even with beating nobody). It even kicked Texas's butt (I was there....LOVED IT!!).

Thinking we improved because scores were closer is just taking the crimson glasses and turning them up on high.

Looking at it objectively, for the first time in years we went threw a whole season without being completely outmatched by someone. We've definatley improved in that aspect. We finally have the talent on the field where we can stand toe to toe with just about anyone. That's a good place to be. I think we all agree that our guys being uninterested and giving up against Washington is unacceptable. But that doesn't refute the point I was making.

Year 4 - the year that Bo's full influence comes into its own. Also the year that the seniors that Bo had to salvage as recruits ; the year Callahan was fired , enter their senior year , unless redshirted. Frank Solich and Bill Callahan did not have a good fourth year , only Solich was granted more time. Make no mistake , a coaching change does affect recruiting , and witness this year , we have many redshirt freshmen playing on our team. There is quite a bit of talk from early practices of a pretty new bunch of players on the offensive line. Evidently the recruits that Pelini had to salvage when Callahan was fired may have not panned out too well , since we have some youngsters on board the offensive line. Hopefully this will pan out , but I dont have much faith that our offense will be much better than last years , although ANYTHING would be an improvement. Oh I am sure Saturday TMagic will look golden and the Huskers will run up the score on an inferior opponent ; but after the first initial games , we will be brought down to earth playing regular Big 10 competition. I hope I am wrong , but I see at least 3 losses before our bowl game. We have a brutal schedule , playing around 6 bowl teams regular season , as we have really stepped up our regular season competition. Guess we will see if Bo's influence and the coaching changes made last year , with some youngsters on board will pan out. Will also see if this new offense with Beck is "different" or just more of the same of last years " run Forrest run " TMagic offense.

Hopefully what has been reported , that Taylor is more seasoned and will be more in control is true and this coaching change and offensive philosophy will pan out. Should make for an interesting year.

Each of these first three seasons from Bo has left us wanting more and rightfully so. We had the Big 12 title stripped from us in 09 with zero good explanation of why referee duties and responsibilities were thrown out the window. Last year we were up 17 point on this years number one ranked team and we blew it. Here are my honest to God thoughts, predictions and concerns for this season.

1) I am honestly very confident that our QB situation will be fine. If TMart stays healthy we will be a very explosive offense come late September.

2) I am very confident in Tim Beck. Although he has never been an OC with sole responsibility of an offense, it seems that we are going to be absolutely fine under his direction.

3) I am a Bo Pelini disciple. Bo's word is gold in my house.

4) Offensive Line- Garrison is a very good coach, but we are going to be starting four very inexperienced football players come Saturday. This scares me quite a bit when we get into conference play. I have feared throughout the summer that we may be in year four of a five year project. The talent is here to compete for Championships, but I think people underestimate just how much structural damage Callahan's recruiting ways did to the depth of our football program. If that 2008 class of OL would have stayed together we are in a different situation. But we are not in good shape up front I fear. With that said, the guys we had last year did well enough to beat the number one ranked team in the nation last year in the Big 12 title game. Run blocking was not awful last year as well. This is a wait and see part of our football team to me.

5) You will see our defense give up yards this year, but not points. Inside either 30/40 yard line, they will be the toughest unit in the Big Ten by far.

6) Last I heard, Ankrah was slated to start opposite Cam, one of Carter, Ankrah, Martin need to step up and be a star in a hurry this year.

7) Random thought, I would rather play OU than Okie State this year. Okie State is the team to beat in the Big 12.

A few things I am sick of hearing

1) We are NU. The University of Nebraska has trademarked the phrase and image NU; therefore, we will call NU NU until NU gives up the legalities to the phrase and or image NU.

2) Wisconsin is beatable. Wisconsin has not proven that they can be a big time program year in and year out like an Ohio State has.

3) The Big Ten last year was not as good as the Big 12 was. That really is a fact.

4) We are Nebraska and it is time we start acting like it. The only team that we did not match up well with in the past two seasons was 09 Alabama. There is not another program in this land that you can look at and say that they are much better and way ahead of us. There is not and I am tired of hearing even our own people say that. They are incorrect in their analysis when stating otherwise. There was not a team in the nation last year we couldn't have played with and beaten. We were a handful of plays away from being serious National Title contenders. Our top 50 guys could strap it on, wearing that red N on the sides of their helmets and play with anyone in the nation I garuntee it.

In conclusion, I dont see this team being anything worse than a two loss team. Many of you may think that this team will be made or broken by QB play. I don't necissarily disagree, but I dont agree either. I think the OL is our biggest concern at this point in time. Whenever you start a True Freshman, a RS Freshman, a True Sophomore along the OL, it is cause for concern in my opinion.

Year 4 - the year that Bo's full influence comes into its own. Also the year that the seniors that Bo had to salvage as recruits ; the year Callahan was fired , enter their senior year , unless redshirted. Frank Solich and Bill Callahan did not have a good fourth year , only Solich was granted more time. Make no mistake , a coaching change does affect recruiting , and witness this year , we have many redshirt freshmen playing on our team. There is quite a bit of talk from early practices of a pretty new bunch of players on the offensive line. Evidently the recruits that Pelini had to salvage when Callahan was fired may have not panned out too well , since we have some youngsters on board the offensive line. Hopefully this will pan out , but I dont have much faith that our offense will be much better than last years , although ANYTHING would be an improvement. Oh I am sure Saturday TMagic will look golden and the Huskers will run up the score on an inferior opponent ; but after the first initial games , we will be brought down to earth playing regular Big 10 competition. I hope I am wrong , but I see at least 3 losses before our bowl game. We have a brutal schedule , playing around 6 bowl teams regular season , as we have really stepped up our regular season competition. Guess we will see if Bo's influence and the coaching changes made last year , with some youngsters on board will pan out. Will also see if this new offense with Beck is "different" or just more of the same of last years " run Forrest run " TMagic offense.

Hopefully what has been reported , that Taylor is more seasoned and will be more in control is true and this coaching change and offensive philosophy will pan out. Should make for an interesting year.

Each of these first three seasons from Bo has left us wanting more and rightfully so. We had the Big 12 title stripped from us in 09 with zero good explanation of why referee duties and responsibilities were thrown out the window. Last year we were up 17 point on this years number one ranked team and we blew it. Here are my honest to God thoughts, predictions and concerns for this season.

1) I am honestly very confident that our QB situation will be fine. If TMart stays healthy we will be a very explosive offense come late September.

2) I am very confident in Tim Beck. Although he has never been an OC with sole responsibility of an offense, it seems that we are going to be absolutely fine under his direction.

3) I am a Bo Pelini disciple. Bo's word is gold in my house.

4) Offensive Line- Garrison is a very good coach, but we are going to be starting four very inexperienced football players come Saturday. This scares me quite a bit when we get into conference play. I have feared throughout the summer that we may be in year four of a five year project. The talent is here to compete for Championships, but I think people underestimate just how much structural damage Callahan's recruiting ways did to the depth of our football program. If that 2008 class of OL would have stayed together we are in a different situation. But we are not in good shape up front I fear. With that said, the guys we had last year did well enough to beat the number one ranked team in the nation last year in the Big 12 title game. Run blocking was not awful last year as well. This is a wait and see part of our football team to me.

5) You will see our defense give up yards this year, but not points. Inside either 30/40 yard line, they will be the toughest unit in the Big Ten by far.

6) Last I heard, Ankrah was slated to start opposite Cam, one of Carter, Ankrah, Martin need to step up and be a star in a hurry this year.

7) Random thought, I would rather play OU than Okie State this year. Okie State is the team to beat in the Big 12.

A few things I am sick of hearing

1) We are NU. The University of Nebraska has trademarked the phrase and image NU; therefore, we will call NU NU until NU gives up the legalities to the phrase and or image NU.

2) Wisconsin is beatable. Wisconsin has not proven that they can be a big time program year in and year out like an Ohio State has.

3) The Big Ten last year was not as good as the Big 12 was. That really is a fact.

4) We are Nebraska and it is time we start acting like it. The only team that we did not match up well with in the past two seasons was 09 Alabama. There is not another program in this land that you can look at and say that they are much better and way ahead of us. There is not and I am tired of hearing even our own people say that. They are incorrect in their analysis when stating otherwise. There was not a team in the nation last year we couldn't have played with and beaten. We were a handful of plays away from being serious National Title contenders. Our top 50 guys could strap it on, wearing that red N on the sides of their helmets and play with anyone in the nation I garuntee it.

In conclusion, I dont see this team being anything worse than a two loss team. Many of you may think that this team will be made or broken by QB play. I don't necissarily disagree, but I dont agree either. I think the OL is our biggest concern at this point in time. Whenever you start a True Freshman, a RS Freshman, a True Sophomore along the OL, it is cause for concern in my opinion.

The Big12 was serious competition last year. Look in the preseason top25 if you need a reminder. In terms of having to bring-it every week we do see an upgrade, only one easy opponent, but at-least we won't have to fight the Burk crew as well as the competition.