Year Four

EZ-E

Each of these first three seasons from Bo has left us wanting more and rightfully so. We had the Big 12 title stripped from us in 09 with zero good explanation of why referee duties and responsibilities were thrown out the window. Last year we were up 17 point on this years number one ranked team and we blew it. Here are my honest to God thoughts, predictions and concerns for this season.

1) I am honestly very confident that our QB situation will be fine. If TMart stays healthy we will be a very explosive offense come late September.

2) I am very confident in Tim Beck. Although he has never been an OC with sole responsibility of an offense, it seems that we are going to be absolutely fine under his direction.

3) I am a Bo Pelini disciple. Bo's word is gold in my house.

4) Offensive Line- Garrison is a very good coach, but we are going to be starting four very inexperienced football players come Saturday. This scares me quite a bit when we get into conference play. I have feared throughout the summer that we may be in year four of a five year project. The talent is here to compete for Championships, but I think people underestimate just how much structural damage Callahan's recruiting ways did to the depth of our football program. If that 2008 class of OL would have stayed together we are in a different situation. But we are not in good shape up front I fear. With that said, the guys we had last year did well enough to beat the number one ranked team in the nation last year in the Big 12 title game. Run blocking was not awful last year as well. This is a wait and see part of our football team to me.

5) You will see our defense give up yards this year, but not points. Inside either 30/40 yard line, they will be the toughest unit in the Big Ten by far.

6) Last I heard, Ankrah was slated to start opposite Cam, one of Carter, Ankrah, Martin need to step up and be a star in a hurry this year.

7) Random thought, I would rather play OU than Okie State this year. Okie State is the team to beat in the Big 12.

A few things I am sick of hearing

1) We are NU. The University of Nebraska has trademarked the phrase and image NU; therefore, we will call NU NU until NU gives up the legalities to the phrase and or image NU.

2) Wisconsin is beatable. Wisconsin has not proven that they can be a big time program year in and year out like an Ohio State has.

3) The Big Ten last year was not as good as the Big 12 was. That really is a fact.

4) We are Nebraska and it is time we start acting like it. The only team that we did not match up well with in the past two seasons was 09 Alabama. There is not another program in this land that you can look at and say that they are much better and way ahead of us. There is not and I am tired of hearing even our own people say that. They are incorrect in their analysis when stating otherwise. There was not a team in the nation last year we couldn't have played with and beaten. We were a handful of plays away from being serious National Title contenders. Our top 50 guys could strap it on, wearing that red N on the sides of their helmets and play with anyone in the nation I garuntee it.

In conclusion, I dont see this team being anything worse than a two loss team. Many of you may think that this team will be made or broken by QB play. I don't necissarily disagree, but I dont agree either. I think the OL is our biggest concern at this point in time. Whenever you start a True Freshman, a RS Freshman, a True Sophomore along the OL, it is cause for concern in my opinion.

• Fire 9

Each of these first three seasons from Bo has left us wanting more and rightfully so. We had the Big 12 title stripped from us in 09 with zero good explanation of why referee duties and responsibilities were thrown out the window. Last year we were up 17 point on this years number one ranked team and we blew it. Here are my honest to God thoughts, predictions and concerns for this season.

1) I am honestly very confident that our QB situation will be fine. If TMart stays healthy we will be a very explosive offense come late September.

2) I am very confident in Tim Beck. Although he has never been an OC with sole responsibility of an offense, it seems that we are going to be absolutely fine under his direction.

3) I am a Bo Pelini disciple. Bo's word is gold in my house.

4) Offensive Line- Garrison is a very good coach, but we are going to be starting four very inexperienced football players come Saturday. This scares me quite a bit when we get into conference play. I have feared throughout the summer that we may be in year four of a five year project. The talent is here to compete for Championships, but I think people underestimate just how much structural damage Callahan's recruiting ways did to the depth of our football program. If that 2008 class of OL would have stayed together we are in a different situation. But we are not in good shape up front I fear. With that said, the guys we had last year did well enough to beat the number one ranked team in the nation last year in the Big 12 title game. Run blocking was not awful last year as well. This is a wait and see part of our football team to me.

5) You will see our defense give up yards this year, but not points. Inside either 30/40 yard line, they will be the toughest unit in the Big Ten by far.

6) Last I heard, Ankrah was slated to start opposite Cam, one of Carter, Ankrah, Martin need to step up and be a star in a hurry this year.

7) Random thought, I would rather play OU than Okie State this year. Okie State is the team to beat in the Big 12.

A few things I am sick of hearing

1) We are NU. The University of Nebraska has trademarked the phrase and image NU; therefore, we will call NU NU until NU gives up the legalities to the phrase and or image NU.

2) Wisconsin is beatable. Wisconsin has not proven that they can be a big time program year in and year out like an Ohio State has.

3) The Big Ten last year was not as good as the Big 12 was. That really is a fact.

4) We are Nebraska and it is time we start acting like it. The only team that we did not match up well with in the past two seasons was 09 Alabama. There is not another program in this land that you can look at and say that they are much better and way ahead of us. There is not and I am tired of hearing even our own people say that. They are incorrect in their analysis when stating otherwise. There was not a team in the nation last year we couldn't have played with and beaten. We were a handful of plays away from being serious National Title contenders. Our top 50 guys could strap it on, wearing that red N on the sides of their helmets and play with anyone in the nation I garuntee it.

In conclusion, I dont see this team being anything worse than a two loss team. Many of you may think that this team will be made or broken by QB play. I don't necissarily disagree, but I dont agree either. I think the OL is our biggest concern at this point in time. Whenever you start a True Freshman, a RS Freshman, a True Sophomore along the OL, it is cause for concern in my opinion.

good post eazy....

some thoughts....

1. i think we will be okay at QB but you can never be to sure about TM staying healthy due to the style of his play on the field... lets hope the o-line hold up and gives him some time to see a play develop before he has to scamper around..

2. i agree with that JC or JA need to step up.... we've heard all good things about them so far and JA has been hyped for a while since committing hope its his time to shine....

3. im still out on Beck... im buying into the hype of course but i hope he doesnt fall apart in a big game and completely baffel us like SW did

The only team that we did not match up well with in the past two seasons was 09 Alabama. There is not another program in this land that you can look at and say that they are much better and way ahead of us. There is not and I am tired of hearing even our own people say that. They are incorrect in their analysis when stating otherwise. There was not a team in the nation last year we couldn't have played with and beaten. We were a handful of plays away from being serious National Title contenders. Our top 50 guys could strap it on, wearing that red N on the sides of their helmets and play with anyone in the nation I garuntee it.

it takes more than a handful of plays to lose 4 games. perhaps you missed the end of the season - but we were not 4 quarters of football team last year. we were far from competing with Auburn/Oregon/Wiscons/TCU. They would have crushed us in 4 quarters of football 9 times out of 10. Sure, we were capable of beating them once or twice, but that's a lot of :koolaid2: sir.

you can never be to sure about TM staying healthy due to the style of his play on the field

I do not understand this sentiment. Burkhead runs into more contact than Martinez, and even broke his foot his Freshman year, yet we didn't hear all the concern that he was going to get hurt his sophomore year like we are with Martinez. Just because Marty got hurt once doesn't mean he'll do it again, running style or no.

you can never be to sure about TM staying healthy due to the style of his play on the field

I do not understand this sentiment. Burkhead runs into more contact than Martinez, and even broke his foot his Freshman year, yet we didn't hear all the concern that he was going to get hurt his sophomore year like we are with Martinez. Just because Marty got hurt once doesn't mean he'll do it again, running style or no.

toe, ankle, reinjure ankle, reinjure ankle...

I think if he gets back to healthy again, you're right - just seems like those injuries have nagged him for some time. I believe we're good to go this year though.

There was not a team in the nation last year we couldn't have played with and beaten.

Um. Obviously that is wrong. I still think Alabama would have rolled us. There are a handful of teams that were better than what they were ranked. If we were capable of beating every team in the nation last year, then why did we lose to 2 schools that finished unranked (one that didn't make a bowl game) Texas A&M who got stomped by LSU in a bowl game, who doesn't even play good offense. Then an 2 loss OU squad that I guarantee loses its BCS game if they play ANYONE besides UCONN. Oh and There is absolutely no possible way Nebraska could have beaten Oregon or Auburn last year. You couldn't change my mind otherwise either. Wisconsin got beat by TCU and I think they would have ate our lunch with that rushing attack last year. Our Rush D was piss poor at times last year if you don't remember.

Now, if you take the Shawn Watson factor out of it, then I would probably agree with you. However, No team is capable of winning every game with shawn watson as O.C.

• Fire 1

If you watch Martinez closely when he is in the open field and a tackler is approaching he absorbs the hit. Coaches always told us to deliver the hit not absorb it. Taylor will lower his head and tense up he is also taller and lankier than most which lends itself to more twists resulting in sprains and muscle pulls. Just my .02

BE THE HAMMER NOT THE NAIL!!!

Martinez' play style doesn't lend him to injuries, Martinez' position and history with injuries is the reason to worry.

There's a reason the term "injury prone" exists. It's like stereotypes - usually, there is some truth to them in essence. Martinez' past issues do give me reason to worry, but I'm not going to think about it unless it happens again.

If you watch Martinez closely when he is in the open field and a tackler is approaching he absorbs the hit. Coaches always told us to deliver the hit not absorb it. Taylor will lower his head and tense up he is also taller and lankier than most which lends itself to more twists resulting in sprains and muscle pulls. Just my .02

BE THE HAMMER NOT THE NAIL!!!

He's a quarterback. I can't think of many quarterbacks that "act the hammer" when running with the football. In fact, I'm pretty sure you have less to worry about if you go with the hit than if you try to make your own. Otherwise, what would be the point of sliding to the ground?

I think Martinez runs like any other running quarterback - try to make a play, if you get hit and wrapped up don't do anything stupid like twist around.

I don’t think the OP is saying he is injury prone. I think he is saying that we would be in trouble if he goes down with an injury. If he doesn’t then we should have an explosive offense. I could be wrong though but that is how I took it. :dunno

it takes more than a handful of plays to lose 4 games. perhaps you missed the end of the season - but we were not 4 quarters of football team last year. we were far from competing with Auburn/Oregon/Wiscons/TCU. They would have crushed us in 4 quarters of football 9 times out of 10. Sure, we were capable of beating them once or twice, but that's a lot of :koolaid2: sir.

I'm kind of torn on that first statement. Looking back, there was only a handful of plays each game that, if they would've gone our way, would've changed the outcome of the game entirely. That said, a great team should never rely on "if only we'd have done this or that". Great teams will make mistakes, but they'll also overcome them. I definitely agree with the rest of waht you said though. Nebraska was a "good but flawed" team last year, not an elite team.

There was not a team in the nation last year we couldn't have played with and beaten.

Um. Obviously that is wrong. I still think Alabama would have rolled us. There are a handful of teams that were better than what they were ranked. If we were capable of beating every team in the nation last year, then why did we lose to 2 schools that finished unranked (one that didn't make a bowl game) Texas A&M who got stomped by LSU in a bowl game, who doesn't even play good offense.

How is it obviously wrong? What's obviously wrong is your interpretation of what he is saying. Oregon could have beaten Auburn and probably would have half the time if they played 100 games. I feel like that is what he's saying about Nebraska against any team. We would have beaten Texas A&M 4 of 5 times even with our QB injured. We are close to getting to where we are consistent and beat those teams every time and close to the level we need to be to win championships. That is what he is saying (I think).

I don’t think the OP is saying he is injury prone. I think he is saying that we would be in trouble if he goes down with an injury. If he doesn’t then we should have an explosive offense. I could be wrong though but that is how I took it. :dunno

To be clear, I wasn't quoting EZ-E, I quoted irie. I removed the name from the quote because I didn't want to seem like I was calling Irie out, since this is a sentiment I've seen from dozens of folks over the past year.

Um. Obviously that is wrong. I still think Alabama would have rolled us. There are a handful of teams that were better than what they were ranked. If we were capable of beating every team in the nation last year, then why did we lose to 2 schools that finished unranked (one that didn't make a bowl game) Texas A&M who got stomped by LSU in a bowl game, who doesn't even play good offense.

How is it obviously wrong? What's obviously wrong is your interpretation of what he is saying. Oregon could have beaten Auburn and probably would have half the time if they played 100 games. I feel like that is what he's saying about Nebraska against any team. We would have beaten Texas A&M 4 of 5 times even with our QB injured. We are close to getting to where we are consistent and beat those teams every time and close to the level we need to be to win championships. That is what he is saying (I think).

Applachian State could beat any team as well. Doesn't mean they are anywhere near winning a championship. The whole "we could beat anyone" statement applies to about 90% of D1 school on any given Saturday.