Year Four

EZ-E

Big difference betweeen running QBs and RBs in my opinion. RBs tend to get wrapped up or leg tackled because of how they run and where the contact comes from - LB shedding a block at the 2nd level or flat out running into the line. QBs on the other hand typically take shots from a full speed running corner or safety as they round the edge. Also - the defensive mindset is to tackle the RB, not risk a big play by trying to get the big hit, but when they have a shot at a QB they take it full bore.

• Fire 1

How is it obviously wrong? What's obviously wrong is your interpretation of what he is saying. Oregon could have beaten Auburn and probably would have half the time if they played 100 games. I feel like that is what he's saying about Nebraska against any team. We would have beaten Texas A&M 4 of 5 times even with our QB injured. We are close to getting to where we are consistent and beat those teams every time and close to the level we need to be to win championships. That is what he is saying (I think).

Applachian State could beat any team as well. Doesn't mean they are anywhere near winning a championship. The whole "we could beat anyone" statement applies to about 90% of D1 school on any given Saturday.

Because that's what I was saying? No. Not at all. Nebraska would compete with and beat a respectful % of the time the best programs out there, imho.

There was not a team in the nation last year we couldn't have played with and beaten.

Um. Obviously that is wrong. I still think Alabama would have rolled us. There are a handful of teams that were better than what they were ranked. If we were capable of beating every team in the nation last year, then why did we lose to 2 schools that finished unranked (one that didn't make a bowl game) Texas A&M who got stomped by LSU in a bowl game, who doesn't even play good offense.

How is it obviously wrong? What's obviously wrong is your interpretation of what he is saying. Oregon could have beaten Auburn and probably would have half the time if they played 100 games. I feel like that is what he's saying about Nebraska against any team. We would have beaten Texas A&M 4 of 5 times even with our QB injured. We are close to getting to where we are consistent and beat those teams every time and close to the level we need to be to win championships. That is what he is saying (I think).

Hit the nail on the head. I agree with everything EZ said in his post. We actually talked at length about that. To say that a team like Alabama or TCU wouldve rolled us last year because we lost 2 games to unranked teams is a little off base. We have seen it time, and time again were good teams lose to teams they shouldnt. We are not elite yet, but we are getting there. Think about where we were 3 years ago, and then think about where we are now.

Hit the nail on the head. I agree with everything EZ said in his post. We actually talked at length about that. To say that a team like Alabama or TCU wouldve rolled us last year because we lost 2 games to unranked teams is a little off base. We have seen it time, and time again were good teams lose to teams they shouldnt. We are not elite yet, but we are getting there. Think about where we were 3 years ago, and then think about where we are now.

...and think about where we have to be to consistently play for MNC's. We aren't there yet. Last year was proof that we aren't, and in no way supportative of being close.

Where we were 3 years ago makes little difference.

...and think about where we have to be to consistently play for MNC's. We aren't there yet. Last year was proof that we aren't, and in no way supportative of being close.

Why wouldnt it make a difference? We go from not being ranked to being the season. To the last two starting out in the top 10. If thats not making progress towards the ultimate goal then I dont know what is.

2) I am very confident in Tim Beck. Although he has never been an OC with sole responsibility of an offense, it seems that we are going to be absolutely fine under his direction.

Based on a spring game and fall camp hype?

2) Wisconsin is beatable. Wisconsin has not proven that they can be a big time program year in and year out like an Ohio State has.

Neither have we since the late 90s or early 2000s

3) The Big Ten last year was not as good as the Big 12 was. That really is a fact.

We sure will find out.

4) We are Nebraska and it is time we start acting like it. The only team that we did not match up well with in the past two seasons was 09 Alabama. There is not another program in this land that you can look at and say that they are much better and way ahead of us. There is not and I am tired of hearing even our own people say that. They are incorrect in their analysis when stating otherwise. There was not a team in the nation last year we couldn't have played with and beaten. We were a handful of plays away from being serious National Title contenders. Our top 50 guys could strap it on, wearing that red N on the sides of their helmets and play with anyone in the nation I garuntee it.

Here's where I have to wave the BS flag, big time. There is a fine line between potential to win the National Championship and doing so. 2010, we choked in our four losses. You can argue hypothetical situations, but that's not what happened. I remember the pains of Texas, A&M, OU, and let's not forget the abortion of a game that was Washington. Champions fine ways to win games. Even if our "top 50" guys are as good as anyone else, this is a team sport and the last two years, we have failed when we needed to win. There are paper tigers and real ones.

That said, I agreed with pretty much everything else.

And where exactly is that? Alabama, Florida, Texas, USC and so on cant even play consistently to be in it for MNCs every year...see last year for proof. Nebraska can play with anyone in the nation and beat them at any given time.

Lots of math problems would be impossible if that were the case.

Because Suh, Prince, and all those players aren't on the team this year. You think anyone we play this year cares where we were 3 years ago? You think it makes us more dominant and a better team because we sucked that bad 3 years ago? It makes ZERO difference in the outcome of the 2011 Wisconsin game. It's not a math problem, it's football.

And where exactly is that? Alabama, Florida, Texas, USC and so on cant even play consistently to be in it for MNCs every year...see last year for proof. Nebraska can play with anyone in the nation and beat them at any given time.

I'd say Alabama is consistently in the hunt. Florida as well. Texas probably as well. They won't have a 20 year droubt (USC probably will) Ohio State. Those are teams that might not play every for it year, but they have the potential to. They'll have down years, but it won't last long. We haven't been anywhere near that recently. We lost 4 games last year with an offense that was down right anemic the second half of the season. MNC contenders aren't firing their offensive coordinator after the season, they're begging them not to take the big time D1 head coaching job.

I agree with most of what EZ "motha punting" E had to say. But I understand what some guys are chirping about. I love the Huskers as much as anybody on this board....But! what have we done to shut the doubters up? We choked with Texas, we choked with Oklahoma, Virgina Tech we choked, Washington we choked.

We play the big ones close but we can not finish the game. Win the big games and then I'll pound my chest and say we are National Championship material. We can hang with anybody no doubt but can we finish the big games is the real question.

Forgive me Husker gods...just speaking my opinion from what I've seen the last 2 years.

...and think about where we have to be to consistently play for MNC's. We aren't there yet. Last year was proof that we aren't, and in no way supportative of being close[/size]

Last year we played under huge turmoil with a clueless offensive coordinator, a hurt and young OL, and an injured freshman quarterback. We were 3 points away from playing in a BCS bowl. We really aren't that far away.

Last year was the first season in a loooong time we went a whole season without getting our teeth kicked in at least once. We were in every game. This year we need to learn how to turn those close losses into wins.

I kind of felt like we got our teeth kicked in against Washington in the bowl game. Last year when we played Mizzou, we imposed our will. We need to find that desire week in and week out this year. When we look back to the past, we all know that great teams find ways to overcome problems. In 1994, we lost a two year starting QB for almost the entire year. In 1995, I believe we started our fourth string RB a game because of inuries/suspension. It's year four. It's high time we become a disciplined football team. No more being one of the most penalized teams. No more having one of the worst turnover ratio teams.