Barney Cotton to help Beck coach from the booth, not the sidelines

knapplc

Do grad assistants get to be on the sidelines to help coach during games? If so, I would think Stai wouldn't have a problem lighting a fire if need be.

Unfortunately, Stai cannot be on the field..

True, reason being he isn't actually a GA, he's an intern, so he can't coach on the game or practice field. Marrow is our offensive GA,and pretty-much our TE-coach.

You know all you barny haters out there are going to eat crow this year. I dont mind him up it the box with beck it seems like that is where i would want my o line coach because he can see the schems better and see how his players are blocking during a certin play and if it dont work he can change it right away to where as if he was on the side line he doesnt have a "3D" veiw of the line. Crow is going to sound good for u barny haters.

GBR!!!!!

But now it somehow proves Cotton sucks.

Makes sense to me.

No the OL play under his coaching proves that. :ahhhhhhhh

Absolutely, the proof has definitely been shown on the field these last three years. No matter what grievances anyone levels at Callahan, having a "bad" O Line cannot be one of them. Bo inherited a dispirited, demoralized and utterly crappy defense and turned it around in ONE YEAR. Barney inherited what was, at the very least, a competent O Line from Callahan and promptly turned it into a false-start machine. When they weren't false-starting they were missing assignments, whiffing on blocks, or otherwise taking aim at our own collective foot.

Who else do you pin that on other than Cotton? I have leveled many gripes at Bill Callahan, legitimately, but his offensive lines were solid. It is shameful to see what our line has turned into these last few years. I understand that many guys were injured, but guys were injured under Callahan, under Solich, during the Osborne Epoch and beyond. Injuries cannot continue to be an excuse for horrific line play.

• Fire 3

You know all you barny haters out there are going to eat crow this year.

I don’t agree with that. If there is improved OL play the credit will go to Garrison not Cotton. There won’t be any reason to serve anyone crow as far as Barney goes.

It is put up or shut up time for the Barney. He has tossed out every excuse in the book the last 3 years and now it is time for some results.

• Fire 1

But now it somehow proves Cotton sucks.

Makes sense to me.

No the OL play under his coaching proves that. :ahhhhhhhh

Absolutely, the proof has definitely been shown on the field these last three years. No matter what grievances anyone levels at Callahan, having a "bad" O Line cannot be one of them. Bo inherited a dispirited, demoralized and utterly crappy defense and turned it around in ONE YEAR. Barney inherited what was, at the very least, a competent O Line from Callahan and promptly turned it into a false-start machine. When they weren't false-starting they were missing assignments, whiffing on blocks, or otherwise taking aim at our own collective foot.

Who else do you pin that on other than Cotton? I have leveled many gripes at Bill Callahan, legitimately, but his offensive lines were solid. It is shameful to see what our line has turned into these last few years. I understand that many guys were injured, but guys were injured under Callahan, under Solich, during the Osborne Epoch and beyond. Injuries cannot continue to be an excuse for horrific line play.

These last three years Barney has taken his marching orders from who?

hint....who was our OC the last three years?

You cannot pin the Offensive Line's failures on Shawn Watson. Watson was the OC first and QB coach second. His involvement in the actual factual coaching of the offensive line was minimal - or, to put it another way, it was about the same as his involvement in the coaching of the RBs and TEs, both units that excelled the last three years. If you're going to pin the O Line's failure on Watson, then you also have to pin the other units' successes on him, too.

Reality says that Cotton is the single most responsible person for the performance of the O Line. This is a reality Bo cannot afford to ignore any longer, and if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, he is addressing it with this move to the booth.

• Fire 3

Uncle Milt & Frank were in up in the box for TO.

Gee, a great Oline coach up in the booth. But now it somehow proves Cotton sucks.

Makes sense to me.

When you consider that many people question Cotton's coaching ability, and then you put him up in the booth to help call plays, it makes for some interesting interpretation. I happen to be someone who questions Cotton, but as of right now I don't think it's a big deal. One had to assume that once Beck got promoted, he would probably get extra help from a member of the coaching staff. And since Cotton was a former OC (I believe, I could be mistaken), it kind of fits.

You cannot pin the Offensive Line's failures on Shawn Watson. Watson was the OC first and QB coach second. His involvement in the actual factual coaching of the offensive line was minimal - or, to put it another way, it was about the same as his involvement in the coaching of the RBs and TEs, both units that excelled the last three years. If you're going to pin the O Line's failure on Watson, then you also have to pin the other units' successes on him, too.

Reality says that Cotton is the single most responsible person for the performance of the O Line. This is a reality Bo cannot afford to ignore any longer, and if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, he is addressing it with this move to the booth.

Exactly.

I assume that Watson was responsible for the blocking schemes for the plays he was running, but beyond that, the O line wasn't his baby, it was Cotton's.

You're right I can't factually pin that on Callawatts but it certainly is a possibility to some extent. Considering his dismal results and "encouragement" to go elsewhere it's naive to assume his play scheming/calling had zero influence on the OLine's performance. Especially changing schemes every year. You think that doesn't matter to a Oline coach? Even when it's mid-year changes?

Add to that the "factual" events of horrendous Oline recruiting in Clownahan's last year and Bo's first and it's silly to claim that the Oline's terrible depth problems is all on Barney's plate.

I don't know if Barney is good or the terrible flunky you all project but it hasn't an easy scenario for him whatsoever.

Lastly, your comparison to Bo is not accurate.

1. Bo had the authority as HC to do anything with the defense immediately as he saw fit. Period. Definitely not the same with Barney as he had to install whatever & whenever SW was inclined to want.

2, Bo is a superb DC & maybe the best in cfb. Certainly at least one of the very best and possibly the equivalent to TO as an OC. Very, very few coaches in cfb are that capable. Barney is hardly alone in that category. Fire all coaches that are not at that level and you're left with Bo and nobody.

We'll see. If Barney can get decent results from a freshman saturated Oline I think he deserves a medal. Obviously you and others totally disagree. Oh well......that's what makes it fun.

GBR!!

bshirt, this may come as a shock to you, but Barney has been the Associate Head Coach/Offensive Line since he returned in 2008. He walked in the door with far more control than you're allowing for. It has been well-documented that we have bent over backwards to work with Barney and get him on the same page as everyone else, but he hasn't played ball - the fiasco with Milt Tenopir last year being the most notable instance. Barney isn't doing everything he can to make things work. He's obstinately staying his own course, and that is not going to fly here.

EZ-E has speculated that Barney is on his way out the door by way of the booth. It will not surprise me in the least if that happens. In fact, I rather expected it last February when Watson and Gilmore were moved on.