Does NU need a championship to...

The passion is here, no doubt. As I recall in my younger days the stadium was ELECTRIC for every game. The tunnel walk was deafoning. During the national title years it seemed like every fan was more participatory, even the blue hairs. Do we need a championship to relight the fire under everyones butts? What do you think? Am I off kilter here?

Personally I don't think so, I think the fire is already roaring. As long as the program improves and gets better, fans will be happy. Eventually fans will need a championship to reaffirm their faith in the team, but I don't think we are at that point yet.

I think people just want to believe. For the last 13 years we've had a succession of depressing circumstances, from the declining of the Solich years to the overthrow of all of our streaks and traditions in the Callahan Era to the inexplicable crushing losses of the Pelini years. I think after all that time there's an understandable hesitance on the part of many people to get too emotionally invested in the game.

It's a lot like a relationship. You love someone only to find out they're not the person you thought they were - they've lied to you or cheated on you or whatever - and even though you're still with them, it takes time to rebuild that trust. And after that trust has been broken, even little things can bring those memories of the bad times rushing back, so you keep them at arm's length.

I see the fans' relationship with the team as more of a self-defense mechanism than anything else right now. They want to let loose, but they're afraid of getting crushed again.

• Fire 1

Personally I don't think so, I think the fire is already roaring. As long as the program improves and gets better, fans will be happy. Eventually fans will need a championship to reaffirm their faith in the team, but I don't think we are at that point yet.

:yeah I do agree with that statement. Well said.

Not sure how familiar this board is with Jay-Z, but citing his song "reminder" is a great example. Historically we are as impressive as any program in the country, but it's been over a decade since we one a championship. It should also be noted the chokes we have had in a conference championship the last two years.(YES CHOKE) I for one am excited and love BO, but sick of these chokes. It's time we give everyone a reminder.

They need to be part of the BCS picture. B1G championship would be great.

They need to be part of the BCS picture so a B1G championship would be progress.

But the last two years our only contender for a spot in the Big 12 champ game was Missouri. We are in a better division this year, Michigan, MSU, and maybe Iowa could be competing with us for a spot in the Big Ten champ game. We all know how difficult our schedule is and how much prep the coaches and players have to do for a completely different conference opponents. I haven't been drinking the season hype of Nebraska winning the Big Ten champ game let alone going. If we do go, that's great I underestimated our team. But if we don't, I won't look at it like a set back.

Last year I bought into the preseason hype of going to the Big 12 champ game and we barely made it because Missouri turned out to be better than sports analyst thoughts.

The passion is here, no doubt. As I recall in my younger days the stadium was ELECTRIC for every game. The tunnel walk was deafoning. During the national title years it seemed like every fan was more participatory, even the blue hairs. Do we need a championship to relight the fire under everyones butts? What do you think? Am I off kilter here?

The problem is the number of blue hairs. What Memorial stadium needs is more 20-30 yr olds & fewer 70-80 yr olds.

The problem is the number of blue hairs. What Memorial stadium needs is more 20-30 yr olds & fewer 70-80 yr olds.

Give it a couple years, they'll start to die off (sorry, but the truth hurts).

Give it a couple years, they'll start to die off (sorry, but the truth hurts).

Unfortunately they will be replaced.

• Fire 1