RB Redshirts

Always a chance to redshirt them down the line if one of those guys breaks away from the pack. No rule says you have to redshirt them their freshman year. They automatically redshirt if they don't play in any games the whole season.

This

Disagree. How many times have you seen a player redshirt after their freshman year, unless injured.

Much like Enunwa & Arod last year, this was a waste. Also, nice to see that Bondi's redshirt was burned for one or two kickoffs (sarcasm).

I'm really beginning to question Bo's handling of his roster.

I think we're going to see all of those RBs contribute, especially if one goes down or gets a little banged up (which is practically inevitable).

We're also going to need Bondi this year. I don't think we can rely on Maher to do punting, placekicking, and kickoff duties all year. I remember all the articles written, wondering whether Henery could handle both punting and placekicking duties for an entire season, since it would mean less reps of both of those, and more stress. It's unfair to expect Maher to do all three.

Your points on Maher and Bondi have merritt, however it is much more likely that one (or more) of the three redshirt-burned freshman backs will transfer due to lack of carries and playing time than they will redshirt at Nebraska.

Besides, isn't Jones good enough to be fourth string seeing that he was just awarded a scholarship. Wasted eligibility, wasted scholarships.

There is the possibility of a position switch for one (or more) of these players. Excellent RB's at at elite programs who get buried in a great depth chart at RB often become WR'ers, safeties, cornerbacks and really contribute. So... this too is a possibility for one (or more) of the three RB's.

Some assert that this is a roster management mistake by Bo... and it could be... or not --- it depends upon how it plays out. If all three stay at RB and all three dogmatically refuse to move to another position where they can contribute with their outstanding athleticism... and then two of them basically get few to no touches for the next few years (until Rex leaves) and they are "wasted" then yes... that is a roster management mistake. But if they fight to get ST (returns of punts and kickoffs) and Rb touches this year and then next one of them switches to WR or to the D... then this is a reasonable roster move.

• 1 month later...

While I somewhat understand Bo's hesitation to use the freshmen in crucial situations for fear of failure, it is disappointing to see how little they are used since burning their redshirts. I see other schools using freshmen RB's and wide receivers quite often. The only way they will redshirt now in the future is if one or more has a serious injury. Abdullah seems to be the first backup. Green and Heard have not been seen for weeks. I'm sure the coaches would like to see them in the weight room for a year. Really it's a shame Heard didn't come in with last years class (10).

With the possible exception of last Saturday vs NW I don't see any evidence at all that says they've been "poorly managed". We won a lot games with our offense carrying the load & Rex is our best rb. With games on the line you're simply not going dive into your depth chart.

A hobbled Martinez instead of a healthy Green or Lee last year. The inability to develop a starting line up in the secondary with only 3 games left, Osborne (former starter and Blackshirt MIA), only Kinnie returned with any catches last year.

This staff has established a track record of failing to develop any depth (see QB this year) and giving the back ups quality time.

What does it say to the stable of quality backs we have in the triplets when Rex (who is obviously hurt/worn out) gets the call the whole game?

This is my biggest issue with this staff. Coaches have off days for sure ie por play calling or flat out coached, but they refuse to put their playmakers on the field when needed. JT is another example. Leading receiver and hasn't seen the field in 2 weeks save the onside kick Saturday. They have only seen the kid practice in the spring and fall and NOW they decide he has practice issues? Really? NOW!?

With the possible exception of last Saturday vs NW I don't see any evidence at all that says they've been "poorly managed". We won a lot games with our offense carrying the load & Rex is our best rb. With games on the line you're simply not going dive into your depth chart.

A hobbled Martinez instead of a healthy Green or Lee last year. The inability to develop a starting line up in the secondary with only 3 games left, Osborne (former starter and Blackshirt MIA), only Kinnie returned with any catches last year.

This staff has established a track record of failing to develop any depth (see QB this year) and giving the back ups quality time.

What does it say to the stable of quality backs we have in the triplets when Rex (who is obviously hurt/worn out) gets the call the whole game?

This is my biggest issue with this staff. Coaches have off days for sure ie por play calling or flat out coached, but they refuse to put their playmakers on the field when needed. JT is another example. Leading receiver and hasn't seen the field in 2 weeks save the onside kick Saturday. They have only seen the kid practice in the spring and fall and NOW they decide he has practice issues? Really? NOW!?

Whoa.....easy my friend. I thought this was just about rbs?

i stand by my original statement, one or two should have red shirted. I wouldn't be surprised to see Green transfer.

You make a good argument for the idea that Green or Heard or both should have been redshirted this year, but weren't.

Disagree. How many times have you seen a player redshirt after their freshman year, unless injured.

Much like Enunwa & Arod last year, this was a waste. Also, nice to see that Bondi's redshirt was burned for one or two kickoffs (sarcasm).

Just use fake injury. Medical hardship instead of Bondi's redshirt

One thing to keep in mind is sometimes players stubbornly don't want to redshirt. May be the case with one or more of our freshman RBs, in which case it is their own fault for not taking the coach's advice. Niles Paul and Marlon Lucky come to mind, two guys that should've redshirted but felt like they were too good for that.

Always a chance to redshirt them down the line if one of those guys breaks away from the pack. No rule says you have to redshirt them their freshman year. They automatically redshirt if they don't play in any games the whole season.

This

you think it would be nice to have another year out of Dennard? his freshman year was a waste as well