Zatechka's Take

carlfense

You know why - money. We need seven home games to meet our budget. Scheduling top ten opponents cuts the odds of having a winning season, and there're always D2 opponents willing to get smooshed for a payday game.

We already went over this Knapp :lol:

I will not use FCS/FBS, nor will I stop calling the Tenn Chatts of the world D2. It's my first step to becoming an incorrigible old fart. :P

It's reality. I know you and others demand perfection the first nano-second with a new offense, coaches & players. Some of us just know it's not a five minute process.

Who is saying they're writing off the whole year (besides you)?

If by perfection you mean some resemblance of competency and/or progress...guilty as charged for losing my grasp on reality. But, your nano-second was a less than encouraging 60 minute game (practice/scrimage). It's the same duration you will use to declare we are "back" in the coming weeks if there is some dramatically positive change in the offense. That same 60 minutes of gametime will be more than adequate then I'm sure. The 5 minute process you speak of has been in the works for 9 months now (if not longer), though large portions looked to only have been implemented last week...with our most reliable offensive weapon (rex) running around like he was lost - not once but multiple times throughout the game.

I guess you saw a very different game than I did...or you saw the same game and will continue to find excuses for the better part of the season. It's unfortunately what Husker fans have begun to do very well over the last 9 years. Lets see, already we have the "sophomore", "Beck's a 1st year coordinator" and "1st year of this offense" excuses being thrown around. We'll call it Huskerboard Poker. If I can get a "OL injury" or "playing down to competition" and a "freshman running backs" excuse in there I'd have 2 pair. (2, youth excuses / 2, 1st year offense excuses). To hit the royal flush I'd need a "ref's screwed us" excuse - in combination with some that I have yet to think up - but can count on many here to devise as the season progresses I'm sure...

just admit it - it was rough to watch. no one's hitting panic, but not all of us are ignoring the reality that the performance was very discouraging.

The point still remains that with new coaches, players & scheme there's going to be growing pains. It's silly to pretend there won't be. Especially for game one. Also there is a real possibility it was basically used as a scrimmage by the coaches. If so.....so what?

Again, no one but you is implying that it's an excuse to be used all year long. No reasonable person is saying it will be a perfect linear line in improvement throughout the year but the mean average in offensive play is demanded to go up.

Sure, I agree it was rough to watch but I'm really not overly discouraged at all. I saw a lot of positives.....

1. Tmart not standing like a statue in the pocket and taking sacks, his speed is back & his passing though still poor with very little improvement should easily suffice for PA.

2. While just one play, nevertheless Turner looked like the Jet out there. I think he gives us two legit difference makers and needs the ball.

3. The return of the option. Yes, it frequently looked "very" rough but when it didn't it gave us some big plays. I think its return is great.

4. A fullback. Can't wait to see our FB used more.

We'll see.....just hang tough a little while.

GBR!!

• Fire 1

Personally, I wouldn't compare Tmart as a soph to the Crouch/Tommy sophomore years. Both Crouch and Tommy ran option orientated offenses in High School. Then they both got to practice option football their freshmen year/redshirt freshmen years. They had the benefit of an experienced offensive staff that knew that stuff inside out. The lineman & fullbacks & TE's were all well versed in option football some of those guys had 5 years experience. Even with all that experience sometimes the offense would look bad in bowl games because their timing would be off due to rust.

This team is coming off of WCO & Spread offenses the past 2 years. The team has had 1 spring and fall camp to learn new principals. Everyone is learning include the QB. You can't compare back.

It's reality. I know you and others demand perfection the first nano-second with a new offense, coaches & players. Some of us just know it's not a five minute process.

Who is saying they're writing off the whole year (besides you)?

If by perfection you mean some resemblance of competency and/or progress...guilty as charged for losing my grasp on reality. But, your nano-second was a less than encouraging 60 minute game (practice/scrimage). It's the same duration you will use to declare we are "back" in the coming weeks if there is some dramatically positive change in the offense. That same 60 minutes of gametime will be more than adequate then I'm sure. The 5 minute process you speak of has been in the works for 9 months now (if not longer), though large portions looked to only have been implemented last week...with our most reliable offensive weapon (rex) running around like he was lost - not once but multiple times throughout the game.

I guess you saw a very different game than I did...or you saw the same game and will continue to find excuses for the better part of the season. It's unfortunately what Husker fans have begun to do very well over the last 9 years. Lets see, already we have the "sophomore", "Beck's a 1st year coordinator" and "1st year of this offense" excuses being thrown around. We'll call it Huskerboard Poker. If I can get a "OL injury" or "playing down to competition" and a "freshman running backs" excuse in there I'd have 2 pair. (2, youth excuses / 2, 1st year offense excuses). To hit the royal flush I'd need a "ref's screwed us" excuse - in combination with some that I have yet to think up - but can count on many here to devise as the season progresses I'm sure...

just admit it - it was rough to watch. no one's hitting panic, but not all of us are ignoring the reality that the performance was very discouraging.

The point still remains that with new coaches, players & scheme there's going to be growing pains. It's silly to pretend there won't be. Especially for game one. Also there is a real possibility it was basically used as a scrimmage by the coaches. If so.....so what?

Again, no one but you is implying that it's an excuse to be used all year long. No reasonable person is saying it will be a perfectly linear line in improvement throughout the year but the mean average in offensive play is demanded to go up.

Sure, I agree it was rough to watch but I'm really not overly discouraged at all. I saw a lot of positives.....

1. Tmart not standing like a statue in the pocket and taking sacks, his speed is back & his passing though still poor with very little improvement should easily suffice for PA.

2. While just one play, nevertheless Turner looked like the Jet out there. I think he gives us two legit difference makers and needs the ball.

3. The return of the option. Yes, it frequently looked "very" rough but when it didn't it gave us some big plays. I think its return is great.

4. A fullback. Can't wait to see our FB used more.

We'll see.....just hang tough a little while.

GBR!!

Couldn't agree more on point 1. TM's internal clock has greatly improved. I know the announcer kept saying he locked onto his receivers but that really wasn't true. More often than not he went through his reads and progressions.

For a day that we stayed basic on both offense and defense and ran things we wanted to work on . .. we weren't horrible. Sure there is lots of room for improvement but those who say we are the same as last year or didn't show any improvement on offense....they don't really know that much about football.

• Fire 1

Personally, I wouldn't compare Tmart as a soph to the Crouch/Tommy sophomore years. Both Crouch and Tommy ran option orientated offenses in High School. Then they both got to practice option football their freshmen year/redshirt freshmen years. They had the benefit of an experienced offensive staff that knew that stuff inside out. The lineman & fullbacks & TE's were all well versed in option football some of those guys had 5 years experience. Even with all that experience sometimes the offense would look bad in bowl games because their timing would be off due to rust.

This team is coming off of WCO & Spread offenses the past 2 years. The team has had 1 spring and fall camp to learn new principals. Everyone is learning include the QB. You can't compare back.

Some good points... Crouch, Frazier, Frost and Berringer not only had Osborne to teach them the option, but Turner Gill. And as good as Tim Beck might be at coaching the offense and teaching the option, I have a hard time believing he's going to be able to help our QBs in that offense as much as Turner Gill was able to. People need to keep their expectations in check, because this offense isn't going to become the Scoring Explosion overnight.

I know the announcer kept saying he locked onto his receivers but that really wasn't true. More often than not he went through his reads and progressions.

I have watched this game two times already and I'm planning on a third. Second time through I paid particular attention to Taylor's progression because so many people are saying he didn't read the pattern, he just ran. I didn't see that so I focused on it in particular, and you're absolutely right - he did better. He is NOT Tom Brady reading through four options before finally tucking it and running. He still runs before he should a fair portion of the time. But he's going through his progressions better than last year.

I think there are just people who just have a bad taste in their mouths about Taylor, so they see what they want to see - their "schema," to use a psychological term - and they flat ignore or explain away those things which don't match their schema. There is no explaining to these people; they will see what they want to see.

For a day that we stayed basic on both offense and defense and ran things we wanted to work on . .. we weren't horrible. Sure there is lots of room for improvement but those who say we are the same as last year or didn't show any improvement on offense....they don't really know that much about football.

Agreed.

I know the announcer kept saying he locked onto his receivers but that really wasn't true. More often than not he went through his reads and progressions.

I have watched this game two times already and I'm planning on a third. Second time through I paid particular attention to Taylor's progression because so many people are saying he didn't read the pattern, he just ran. I didn't see that so I focused on it in particular, and you're absolutely right - he did better. He is NOT Tom Brady reading through four options before finally tucking it and running. He still runs before he should a fair portion of the time. But he's going through his progressions better than last year.

I think there are just people who just have a bad taste in their mouths about Taylor, so they see what they want to see - their "schema," to use a psychological term - and they flat ignore or explain away those things which don't match their schema. There is no explaining to these people; they will see what they want to see.

Agreed.

Wow.....It's hard to believe you could earn the "understatement of the year" award so early but you nailed it.

Congrats knapplc!

GBR!!

I thought Bo or Beck came out and said Taylor was directed to run in this game after checking down to the second receiver...Wouldn't that play into Taylor's perceived lack of checking down receivers?

I thought Bo or Beck came out and said Taylor was directed to run in this game after checking down to the second receiver...Wouldn't that play into Taylor's perceived lack of checking down receivers?

I haven't seen that anywhere... link?

Agreed.

Sometimes I think you see what you want to see regarding Taylor as well... I re-watched the game, and I'm less concerned about the O-Line blocking and more concerned about the blocking of the tight ends and sloppiness at the skill positions (ie. Taylor, Burkhead, Kinnie) and about the fact that Legate is running outside on the option not blocking anyone. It's a throwback to Judd Davies; I used to pull my hair out watching him run outside on the option and not touch a soul. Here's to hoping they find a way to get Turner the ball and clean up the mistakes.

Agreed.

Sometimes I think you see what you want to see regarding Taylor as well... I re-watched the game, and I'm less concerned about the O-Line blocking and more concerned about the blocking of the tight ends and sloppiness at the skill positions (ie. Taylor, Burkhead, Kinnie) and about the fact that Legate is running outside on the option not blocking anyone. It's a throwback to Judd Davies; I used to pull my hair out watching him run outside on the option and not touch a soul. Here's to hoping they find a way to get Turner the ball and clean up the mistakes.

lol!

Oh yeah, I remember Judd Davies. It wasn't pretty......