KU is a better fit for Big 10 than Missouri

VectorVictor

I don't know if this good that Shatel has put in print what I've said for some time now. Especially considering how some folks here feel about him.

Missouri is a name that still comes up with the Big Ten, and this time it's not the Tigers floating it. Still, I could see the Big Ten being more attracted to Kansas.

Sure, there's the Kansas City market. MU can't deliver it. KC is a KU town. A KU hoops town. Also, you bring the Hawkers in for the same reason the Huskers were invited: KU brings a national brand to the Big Ten Network, in hoops, of course. But hoops is a point of pride in the league. Add Kansas and Syracuse? That's the No. 1 league in college hoops.

Add this to the fact that the Big 10 already counts St. Louis (or part of it, anyway) in its footprint, and it can get Missouri without actually having to add a school from Missouri, and get Kansas for free. It's like a buy one, get one free sale. :)

If anything, this is probably why Kansas has been publicly saying they're not tethered to the PurpleEcoWarriorKitties--while they would be happy with a landing in the Big East (a very solid plan 'B'), they'd much rather have the national network and cache of the Big 10 behind them.

So you're saying Kansas is a better fit for the B1G and not BigXII? I'm confused. But I do agree with the article. I'd take turner.

For the B1G, if Missouri and Kansas are both in the hunt for new homes.

Not saying it *will* happen, but *if* the B1G decides to expand, and Kansas is on the market, our biannual Nebraska migration game could be back on.

So you're saying Kansas is a better fit for the B1G and not BigXII? I'm confused. But I do agree with the article. I'd take turner.

Not saying it *will* happen, but *if* the B1G decides to expand, and Kansas is on the market, our biannual Nebraska migration game could be back on.

The title was a little misleading. Just from an athletic standpoint Kansas would be the Yin to Nebraska's Yang, I don't think Missouri really offers that other than a marginal football team every few years. And I don't know to much about the academic side of it but to me KU would seem to be more prestigious than MU, but that could just be because I have family that are on tenure and went to school there so I have a little experience with it.

B1G would def. be the #1 basketball conference if they added KU and Syracuse. Look at these coaches that have won championships: Jim Boeheim, Bill Self, Tom Izzo, Thad Matta, Indiana is an historical program with final four appearances and of course Doc Sadler, the greatest coach in the world!

I read this, and the song 'one of these things is not like the other, one of these things is not quite the same' just played in my head.

Dunno why.

Tigerboard seems convinced MU is a shoe in for the SEC.

They said the same thing about the B1G last year but yet Mizzou was left outside looking in as the B1G closed the door on their faces.

Unless the SEC wants to take Maryland, there aren't any other media markets to expand into except for Texas (A&M) and Missouri (Mizzery).

I'd say if Mizzery isn't a shoe-in, they're the next best thing. Better than their shot with the B1G, at any rate.

I think that ira is referring to the confusion stemming from the thread title, "KU is a better fit for Big XII than Missouri," when it would seem to be intended as " KU is a better fit for B1G (Big Ten) than Missouri"

I think that ira is referring to the confusion stemming from the thread title, "KU is a better fit for Big XII than Missouri," when it would seem to be intended as " KU is a better fit for B1G (Big Ten) than Missouri"

:yeah

:yeah

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...I'm an idiot. Old habits die hard...I suppose. Herp de derp on me.

It's fixed now. Thanks.

Sure, there's the Kansas City market. MU can't deliver it. KC is a KU town. A KU hoops town. Also, you bring the Hawkers in for the same reason the Huskers were invited: KU brings a national brand to the Big Ten Network, in hoops, of course. But hoops is a point of pride in the league. Add Kansas and Syracuse? That's the No. 1 league in college hoops.

Add this to the fact that the Big 10 already counts St. Louis (or part of it, anyway) in its footprint, and it can get Missouri without actually having to add a school from Missouri, and get Kansas for free. It's like a buy one, get one free sale. :)

Some of this is so far off its laughable. Kansas has no pull in KC for CFB and thats what this is about. Yeah there are a ton of monkeys running around from october through march, but even then its no more than a 40-40 of MU/KU and KSU/ISU/NEB filling the other 20. anyone who has lived in KCMO knows that there are just as many if not more MU fans in KC as KU during their 'peak'. And KU fans disapear for 2/3rd of the year, so for that portion its not even close. I spent years in KC. I worked on the KS side and lived on MO. I can assure you I worked and dealt with nearly as many MU as KU fans on the KS side and the MO side was easily 2:1 in favor of Mizzou. KU owning KC is frankly a big crock

As far as STL, its a MU town. Mu pulls more than 4.5 times the ratings that ILL pulls. The last figures i saw from STL last year where over 5:1 in favor of MU. I had an article from 2008 saved that shows the average pull for ILL in STL was a 2.0 rating., MU was a 9.0 over the same period of games.

Either its about TV's or its about Football, in either case MU is a better pull for any confernce. Basketball is great, but seriously its not CFB. Just look at Nebraska as a perfect example. An entire state involved and loving their football and bearly a register during basketball. Look at the ratings on a national level. This last years final 4 and championship game drew the highest ratings in over 5 years. They averaged a 8.9 rating, up nearly 20% over the previous 3 years average. The BCS bowl games averaged a 9.53 share. Down nearly 15% over the previous year. Basketball was a high as its ever been, CFB was way down and it was still higer over all. The BCS Championship drew a 15.29 share BTW, nearly 50% more over the CBB championship. IF CBB was a big as some make it out to be, why arnt people going crazy to get Memphis & Louisville? Why not convince George Mason, Marquette, Georgetown, Butler, and so on to either have a CFB team or move it to BCS level?

anyway, if 9K fans for KU at their biggest game of the year, against their biggest rival at a game in KC and having to have a groupon deal last week for KU football tickets doesnt tell you what you need to know about a KU in KC, then I dont know what to tell you

MU is not a Earth shattering get. Nebraka, TX & OU are that for the big 12. But MU is a good get for what else is out there, and better than many others. What happens, who knows. MU has kept quite and people that normally talk and tell me things are not talking. They got burned last year. I know multiple people that seperately confirmed that the BIG10 said they were in. I think they let some things slip and the Big10 was expecting things to split and they didnt after NE was gone. MU was left floating. Things are sealed up tight now. So i am out of my loop, but i feel confident that there will be options. KU, well....they did just kiss TX's butt by giving the LHN their second confernce game, the only school to say yes. Maybe the are looking to hitch their wagon to somebody who can get them somewhere they could'nt get on their own??