Local Papers, being a little harsh

Has anyone else noticed how quick the local papers (OWH, LJS)are to knock down the Huskers after last night. There was talk of Nebraska possibly not being a top 25 team? That is getting carried away with the criticism. I was surprised that they were so critical of the defense, and of the defensive outlook for the rest of the year. Every team has a bad game, the Defense will be fine, or am I the only guy that has been watching this Pelini coached Defense the last 3+ years. The offense still looked rough, but there was definitely improvement. It is humorous that Martinez gets all of the critique he does, yes he made some mistakes last night, but 219 passing yards, and 166 rushing yards? Those are elite numbers.

However, it is very clear that the favorite to win the BigTen resides in Madison, Wisconsin; not Lincoln, Nebraska.

Fans and media have every right to 2nd guess Nebraska. Why??? because we have been let down before by having really high expectations that were justified only to be disappointed down the home stretch.

The papers are only writing what they see(as do the fans) which is Nebraska isnt a very good football team right now. It can get better or it can get worse, quite frankly after 2 games Im worried we might get embarassed in Madison in 3 weeks, but thats just me.

Fans and media have every right to 2nd guess Nebraska. Why??? because we have been let down before by having really high expectations that were justified only to be disappointed in the home stretch.

The papers are only writing what they see(as do the fans) which is Nebraska isnt very good football team right now. It can get better or it can get worse, quite frankly after 2 games Im worried we might get embarassed in Madison in 3 weeks, but thats just me.

The local media's doubting of our defensive success the rest of the season is what has me confused. The Blackshirts are going to do what they do, the offense is improving. Wisconsin's defense will give us some things. It ought to be a very entertaining game at Camp Randall in a few weeks.

It is hard to base the season off of a few games. If we went off of the S. Dakota St. game last year, then there would be no way to see a team that eventually won the North, and SHOULD have beaten OU in the Big12-3 title game.

Are we going to win a National Championship? Probably not. Can we win a B1G championship? Yes.

The local media's doubting of our defensive success the rest of the season is what has me confused. The Blackshirts are going to do what they do, the offense is improving. Wisconsin's defense will give us some things. It ought to be a very entertaining game at Camp Randall in a few weeks.

It is hard to base the season off of a few games. If we went off of the S. Dakota St. game last year, then there would be no way to see a team that eventually won the North, and SHOULD have beaten OU in the Big12-3 title game.

Are we going to win a National Championship? Probably not. Can we win a B1G championship? Yes.

We lost a of talent on defense. Anyone but Nebraska fans would look at that and say, "It's probably a rebuilding year for the defense. They most likely won't be quite as good as before this season, but they won't be anywhere close to bad."

And that's exactly how it looks to be going right now. And at the same time, WI looks to be a hell of a better team than we are. So yeah, anything can happen during any game, and I also might walk outside to find 10 pigs having an orgy on my car this evening. But I doubt it'll happen. But hey, it might.

:koolaid2:

People just need to realize where we're at. We're currently missing four great defenders that made our secondary so great last year. One of them, Dennard, will be back soon enough, but we can't forget the importance of players like Amukamara, Hagg and Gomes. Amukamara is a guy that quarterback's avoid throwing to if they can in many situations. Hagg had the speed of a defensive back but the power of a linebacker, so he could cover those fast guys but also play run-defense if need be. And Gomes was an extremely athletic, knowledgeable safety that very rarely made mental mistakes in coverage.

On offense, it's a brand new offensive coordinator with young players. As I said in another thread, it's not like having more veterans would really help. You're teaching guys a new system, with new mentalities and a new mindset. With veterans you have to worry about them slinking into their old ways, and with young guys you don't have any experience in general. Beck needs time, like any new coach does. We gave it to Bo, and Beck deserves it as well. If this were Watson still, there would be no excuses. But we made an OC change late in the game, and that's partially Bo's fault. Regardless, Beck needs his chance.

Think back to 2008. The defense got more consistent and they got better, but they still weren't anywhere close to where they needed to be. Two years in Bo's system and they became lights out.

• Fire 1