Diagnosing our run defense

Enhance

I don't have a DVR in my apartment (in college, can't afford, etc.), so all I have to go off of is what I've seen from highlights and thanks to HuskersRecap on youtube.

But from these highlights, it seems that our run defense doesn't plug gaps often, which allows for running backs to get to the second level easily. My guess is this has all to do with scheme, as I believe this how we've been playing the run for awhile. However, a lot of the runs Polk had came off of us having four down linemen and only two linebackers set in there. Furthermore, these linebackers are set a good four or five yards back from the defensive line. Ergo, when our defensive line gets pushed out of position, and if a linebacker makes one wrong read in a split second, it's an easy five yard gain for a running back.

Is it normal for a run to be predicated so heavily on what the linebacker's initial read is, and if it isn't a good read than we give up a nice run? I don't necessarily know if plugging the gaps would help, and I realize that it's tough to put bodies in there behind the d-line when an offense is spreading you out, but I'm just somewhat curious about this. It seems like it's no problem for teams to run against us because we only have six people in the box. Shove our line around, bad read by a linebacker and it's a nice gain.

So, for the resident armchair (or actual) coaches out there, am I seeing too much out of nothing? Are we bad at defending the run because of scheme, or are we bad at defending the run because of players? Or both?

Is it normal for a run to be predicated so heavily on what the linebacker's initial read is, and if it isn't a good read than we give up a nice run?

Yes. This is the problem right here. Thus far, our linebackers have not been making the correct reads. There was a great article about the linebacker play so far this season posted on here a while back, it talked about false steps and position and everything, I'm sure somebody will post it.

If the correct reads are made, every run gets stopped in the hole for 1-2 yards. If the correct read is not made, easy 5.

All defenses are dependent on the linebackers making that good first read. Unless Suh is in the middle. Then LB's can do whatever they want because nobody is coming up the middle in the first place.

EDIT-

Here's the thread with the article and conversation. Pretty much sums up what you expected- bad gap play=more yards.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/54331-short-breakdown-of-lb-play/

We'll get there. The season is young.

yes, our defense is set up for the linebackers to make plays. Pelini plays with a two gap technique where the Dline is responsible for taking up blockers and holding containment for two gaps, not letting the Oline get to the second level. Very hard to learn, but can be very effective. Problem is the linebacker takes one or two steps in the wrong direction you open up cut back lanes if all the linebackers arent working together. And with the Dline taking up blockers they dont make as many tackles, and if the linebacker takes himself out of the play by overpursuing, then its an easy 7 yard gain before the safties and David can get back to him....especially with our safties playing so far back to help our young corners. Once Dennard gets back it should allow our safties a little more freedom to help with run support. This is why David had 152 tackles last year and Gomes our saftey had around 100....he was constantly helping with run support.

I think people are putting way too much stock in Dennard's return. It's going to help us in pass coverage for sure, but not drastically in run defense. We are sorely missing Haag and Gomes right now. Once Stafford learns the ropes a little more it will definately help. The good news is that we are in good hands with our defensive coaches. The question is whether it will be fixed in time for the game in Madison.

The more I think about things the less I'm worried about the season. We'll get better and our early B1G games are against the other division. Nobody from our division is going to go through unscathed. I would be willing to give up an early loss to the Badgers because our defense would be much improved by the time a rematch took place. It may work to our advantage to have the two toughest conference games right away in the sense that if we're going to lose it should be to those two schools. It would be a shame to not be ready defensively and drop a game to Iowa or Mich state....

The more I think about things the less I'm worried about the season. We'll get better and our early B1G games are against the other division. Nobody from our division is going to go through unscathed. I would be willing to give up an early loss to the Badgers because our defense would be much improved by the time a rematch took place. It may work to our advantage to have the two toughest conference games right away in the sense that if we're going to lose it should be to those two schools. It would be a shame to not be ready defensively and drop a game to Iowa or Mich state....

I'm not all that worried about tOSU. I'd say Wisconsin's the toughest opponent on our schedule this year by a long shot.

Bottom line, if we win the games we should win, there's no reason why we shouldn't be playing for the conference championship.

I am not really sure why so many people are shocked about the run defense. Running right up the gut has been the caveat for offenses against Bo's defenses the last couple of years. There has been no wya one is going to get outside on this defense with the speed, but right up the gut is where the chunks of yards have been exposed. Think Kendall Hunter last year against the Pokes, Polk in the bowl game, and even in the Va Tech games.

And the return of Zo, definitely helps the run defense. These first cople of games, both safeties, whom ever they were. were trying to stay over the top of the young corners. When Zo is 100%, that safety on his side of the field is able to slip into the box a lot more easier. In an ideal world this would be Stafford as his coverage still leaves some desires, and Courtney or PJ mans the other spot. I am sorry, but those of you that don't think Zo's return will have a huge impact, you are slightly loco. Now feel free to tear into me

I am not really sure why so many people are shocked about the run defense. Running right up the gut has been the caveat for offenses against Bo's defenses the last couple of years. There has been no wya one is going to get outside on this defense with the speed, but right up the gut is where the chunks of yards have been exposed. Think Kendall Hunter last year against the Pokes, Polk in the bowl game, and even in the Va Tech games.

And the return of Zo, definitely helps the run defense. These first cople of games, both safeties, whom ever they were. were trying to stay over the top of the young corners. When Zo is 100%, that safety on his side of the field is able to slip into the box a lot more easier. In an ideal world this would be Stafford as his coverage still leaves some desires, and Courtney or PJ mans the other spot. I am sorry, but those of you that don't think Zo's return will have a huge impact, you are slightly loco. Now feel free to tear into me

Here is me ripping into you Paulie:

Stafford was born to play the Peso and I love the personel match ups against teams like tOSU and Wisconsin and Michigan. You spy Damion on Dennard Robinson I think it contains him.

I don't think that you are wrong in your analysis at all.

We have to have a few more birthdays across the board and we are legit title contenders.

Here is me ripping into you Paulie:

Stafford was born to play the Peso and I love the personel match ups against teams like tOSU and Wisconsin and Michigan. You spy Damion on Dennard Robinson I think it contains him.

I don't think that you are wrong in your analysis at all.

We have to have a few more birthdays across the board and we are legit title contenders.

And here is me completely agreeing with you EZ about Stafford and the peso. That is the perfect spot for him, because 90% of the time who was Gomes covering, TEs, RBs, and underneath pass routes. Nothing deep and overly long, where Stafford AT THIS POINT AND TIME struggles with.

I agree, Joe_5700. Dennard will definitely help with pass coverage, which will allow safeties more opportunities to play the run, but the linebackers have still got to get better at controlling running backs on a more consistent basis.

At this point in time, Fisher has looked lost out there. He is definately a year behind.