Pleasantly surprised

AK-47

I don't know if this should be moved or not, but I am quite pleasantly surprised by the Badger fans that have showed up on this board. I've heard some horror story about Wisconsin fans and was thinking we'd have a lot of trolls pop up, but for the most part all of the Wisconsin fans on here seem both knowledgeable and humble, given the success they've had of late. Might be some of the better discussions I've seen in my short time on the board.

With that out of the way I will make another reference to the topic title. TMAgic said that the team is "ready to shock the world." This was discussed on another thread and #8 beating #7 wouldn't be a "shock" but I know I'm not the only Husker fan who thinks that an NU win would be a pleasant surprise.

You'll find that Wisconsin fans are a mixed bag, much like any other school. You have your knobs who think the Badgers are world-beaters, but you also have your extremely knowledgeable fans that are willing to talk football. Unfortunately, the team's success as of late has caused the former to overpower the latter.

Looking forward to Saturday.

I don't know if this should be moved or not, but I am quite pleasantly surprised by the Badger fans that have showed up on this board. I've heard some horror story about Wisconsin fans and was thinking we'd have a lot of trolls pop up, but for the most part all of the Wisconsin fans on here seem both knowledgeable and humble, given the success they've had of late. Might be some of the better discussions I've seen in my short time on the board.

With that out of the way I will make another reference to the topic title. TMAgic said that the team is "ready to shock the world." This was discussed on another thread and #8 beating #7 wouldn't be a "shock" but I know I'm not the only Husker fan who thinks that an NU win would be a pleasant surprise.

While I agree with my fellow Badger fan that we have our trolls, I would venture to say that those of us who were fans of the Badger football team in the pre-Alvarez years are nearly uniformly humble. We sucked for 30 years. Oh, there'd be a blip of a .500 team here and there, but for the most part, we were cellar-dwellers or darn close to it for the vast majority of those years. Basketball was the same, but for even longer.

In fact, the only Badger sports team that was ever any good when I was growing up was hockey -- hockey still draws more fans at Wisconsin than most NHL teams. We can be a little more arrogant as hockey fans because we really are one of the "royalty" programs (like Duke in hoops).

But in football (and basketball), we old timers tend to really appreciate the success over the last almost 20 years now and often have to figuratively pinch ourselves to make sure we're not dreaming. Quite frankly, I didn't see any of this coming, and am enjoying the heck out of it now because I have in the back of my mind that it could go back to the bad old days someday.

I, for one, am excited to have N with the B1G because you are a football royal. We can only hope for N-type level of sustained success at UW.

• Fire 1

While I agree with my fellow Badger fan that we have our trolls, I would venture to say that those of us who were fans of the Badger football team in the pre-Alvarez years are nearly uniformly humble. We sucked for 30 years. Oh, there'd be a blip of a .500 team here and there, but for the most part, we were cellar-dwellers or darn close to it for the vast majority of those years. Basketball was the same, but for even longer.

In fact, the only Badger sports team that was ever any good when I was growing up was hockey -- hockey still draws more fans at Wisconsin than most NHL teams. We can be a little more arrogant as hockey fans because we really are one of the "royalty" programs (like Duke in hoops).

But in football (and basketball), we old timers tend to really appreciate the success over the last almost 20 years now and often have to figuratively pinch ourselves to make sure we're not dreaming. Quite frankly, I didn't see any of this coming, and am enjoying the heck out of it now because I have in the back of my mind that it could go back to the bad old days someday.

I, for one, am excited to have N with the B1G because you are a football royal. We can only hope for N-type level of sustained success at UW.

Thanks for the kind words, FBis. Always liked Barry Alvarez (was probably the only person in the whole country that liked his Fox BCS broadcasting attempt a few years back), and glad to see that Wisconsin is following the Nebraska blueprint to success.

Fans do need to deluge Delaney for what is his only mistake in putting Wisconsin (and, subsequently, Michigan) in the wrong division. If there's ever expansion to 14 teams, Wisconsin fans and Alvarez need to push hard to be put in our division--I could see a yearly NU/Wisky tilt becoming just as big as the NU/OU tilt back in the day.

Fans do need to deluge Delaney for what is his only mistake in putting Wisconsin (and, subsequently, Michigan) in the wrong division. If there's ever expansion to 14 teams, Wisconsin fans and Alvarez need to push hard to be put in our division--I could see a yearly NU/Wisky tilt becoming just as big as the NU/OU tilt back in the day.

I do think UW took one for the league in the divisions so that Michigan and OSU could be in separate divisions. It would have been so common sense to have PSU, OSU, Michy, MSU, Indiana, & Purdue in the east and everyone else in the west -- all the natural rivalries are retained. This "competitive balance" excuse is a sham -- there's no way to predict the relative strength of schools into the future -- Illinois, for example, went to a BCS bowl within the last 5 years I think, but they're currently viewed as middle tier. You can say this about many of the schools (Purdue was good for awhile when Brees and then Orton were there, MSU under D'Antonio, Northwestern has had some success, etc.). So how do you know the divisions are going to be competitively balanced? It's 100% all about Michigan and OSU, and that is crap.

Sorry, ya hit a hot button.

I don't really get why the need to go to more teams, either, but I'm curmudgeonly. I like 12 teams because we've been at 11 so long & now we get a championship game. But more than that means we won't get to play almost half the teams anyway, and then you can exacerbate the problems with easy schedule vs. hard schedule with who you do and don't play.