Defensive scheme for Wisconsin

HuskerGBR

I was just wondering if we will see a new scheme sort of based on the Peso. Take a guy like Martin for example. Use him as defensive end and linebacker. So if it looks like the offense is running the ball you line him up on end which would give you a 5-2 defense. If it looks like a pass then you have him cover the flats and in essence you use him as a 3rd linebacker of sorts. I don't know if this would be effective at all, but it came up when I was talking to some friends.

Has anything been said or heard about Nebraska's defense doing something like this? Would this even be a good idea? (I was just using Martin as an example, so it could be anyone that might make a good defensive end/linebacker hybrid)

4-3 is what I am hoping we do...I don't really want to see them try anything really new, because it might not end too well. I just thought it was an interesting concept when it was brought up. They didn't have any inside info or anything...it was just speculation. You would have to have a pretty talented guy to play end and linebacker. Coverage wise I don't think it would work too well, unless he just covered the flats and that would get pretty predictable in my opinion.

Why would we throw in a bunch of defensive wrinkles when we've shown through four games that we can't play error-free on our base defense yet? When you have fundamental errors in gap coverage and cover technique just running your base defense against weak foes, there's no reason to get tricky when playing against a fully-functioning offense like we'll see Saturday.

Why would we throw in a bunch of defensive wrinkles when we've shown through four games that we can't play error-free on our base defense yet? When you have fundamental errors in gap coverage and cover technique just running your base defense against weak foes, there's no reason to get tricky when playing against a fully-functioning offense like we'll see Saturday.

Just for arguments sake.....who says we've been running our base defense the first 4 games?

Just for arguments sake.....who says we've been running our base defense the first 4 games?

Isn't the beginning of the season the exact time you would run your base defense to get the kinks worked out?

Isn't the beginning of the season the exact time you would run your base defense to get the kinks worked out?

Normally yeah but our coaches are ultra secretive. Plus the B10 has 1/2 their teams using a power running game that calls for a different set up. We haven't seen that yet from any of our first 4 opponents. Besides every rumor thread on every board has us junking what we've been doing and switching almost solely to the 50 front. Or at least thats the argument that could be made. Will it happen...no...at least I don't think so....but I think we'll see a combo of our 4-3 and the 50 from here out. Similar to two years ago when in B12 play we started using the Peso 1/2 way through the year and pretty much stuck with that to stop the spread.

Dramatic-chipmunk.gif

Stafford starts at safety... not totally in live with this. He has said he like peso better because its less difficult and would feel more comfortable.

Cassidy grades out in the low 80s and gets a start.

(Grades don't matter if u are a Farley, but clearly he is not)

P.j. played very well other than a blown coverage that didn't matter grades out in mid 90s and I've heard he isnt starting this week. Wtf?

How do u not put your playmakers on the field? And where did osborne dissapear to?