Defensive scheme for Wisconsin

HuskerGBR

Why would we throw in a bunch of defensive wrinkles when we've shown through four games that we can't play error-free on our base defense yet? When you have fundamental errors in gap coverage and cover technique just running your base defense against weak foes, there's no reason to get tricky when playing against a fully-functioning offense like we'll see Saturday.

Just for arguments sake.....who says we've been running our base defense the first 4 games?

I think you already know the answer to that question. But for the sake of the argument, I'll say, "Me."

I think someone should break the hands of the coaches or sneak into the equipment room and replace all of the defensive players playcards with anything that is not the 4-3. I know I keep beating a dead horse, but that formation is not the key to success with this defense. Our linebackers are slow picking up routes out of the slot and backfield, and we seem to get less pressure. Cant stand it.

I don't think the Huskers will show too much defensively. We've got Ohio St coming in next week.....

Maybe it's just me, but I would assume you guys would be throwing the kitchen sink at us on Saturday...

He was being humorous

Ahh. Fail by me.

Yes, it was an attempt at humor but also making a point for all those people that claim our first 4 games have been defensively schemed vanilla on purpose. As if the Pelini's will simply flip a switch this week and we'll finally see what we have all been waiting for. (Hoping for it but not buying it yet) I am intrigued that the Badger fan apparently took my comment somewhat seriously. Some insecurity is good but that much could be trouble.

I don't think we'll see anything new on the defensive side of the ball to start off the game. I definitely don't think we would use E-Mart in that type of situation simply because he has traditionally lacked sound football discipline over the years.

But, I'll play along. If we do make an adjustment to another style of defense to stop the run, I would like to see something like the 46 defense. It's out of the traditional 4-3 base set, which we run, but shifts the line one way and the backers the other way. To accommodate for the loss of second level of defense behind the defensive line, bring up Stafford and let him shade the inside hip of the left DE and fill that spot. Stafford has been great making tackles for us this year and I would choose him over Cassidy for this position. An issue with this defense is that the secondary would have to play lights out and not allow the big play. Cassidy would be back there by himself (which scares me). I have faith in Dennard to shut down his receiver.

History suggests the Brothers Pelini often formulate a defensive game plan independent of previous or future matchups. However, most of those matchups were devised when the opposition was running a variation of the Spread offense. Its my guess NU will unload some coverages and blitz packages that haven't been displayed yet at this time.

The Huskers have to find a way to stop the run this week, or it will be a long game. Russel Wilson has been terrific throwing the football, but the Badgers passing game is simplistic and contingent upon the run. If the safeties are forced to concentrate on run support, Wisconsin will have a field day with play action and utilizing their tight ends.

If the Huskers can stop the run with their front 7 on defense, then NU's DB's, despite their struggles, are good enough to shut down the Badger wideouts.

If NU can stop the run and avoid turnovers on offense, they can win this game. The Huskers will move the football offensively and win the battle on special teams. Sadly though, I have a hard time believing Nebraska will avoid turnovers. BUT, Wisconsin is nowhere near 10 points better than Nebraska. If you were to line up Wiscy's top 22 starters and Nebraska's 22, the Huskers are arguably more talented at roughly 15 positions. But this is a team game and individual talent will only get you so far.

I don't think we'll see anything new on the defensive side of the ball to start off the game. I definitely don't think we would use E-Mart in that type of situation simply because he has traditionally lacked sound football discipline over the years.

But, I'll play along. If we do make an adjustment to another style of defense to stop the run, I would like to see something like the 46 defense. It's out of the traditional 4-3 base set, which we run, but shifts the line one way and the backers the other way. To accommodate for the loss of second level of defense behind the defensive line, bring up Stafford and let him shade the inside hip of the left DE and fill that spot. Stafford has been great making tackles for us this year and I would choose him over Cassidy for this position. An issue with this defense is that the secondary would have to play lights out and not allow the big play. Cassidy would be back there by himself (which scares me). I have faith in Dennard to shut down his receiver.

I wouldn't think we would see Martin out there if the D was using a 50 front. 50 front uses a true nose tackle, two other tackles, and one true end. The end is lined up at the 7 gap and the two other tackles are lined up at the 5 gaps. Then I believe the LBs usually play straight, over, or under depending on the offensive alignment.

So, I would think the most likely personnel would be Moore at the nose, Crick and Baker, and Meredith at the end. I would be a little nervous if this was just something that was whipped up for this particular game (flashbacks of the 2008 Mizzou debacle). However, if this is truly their new base defense for the Big 10, I would assume it has been practiced for more than just this week.

In any event, Saturday cannot come soon enough

I just hope the defense that they have been working on since August for these next two games works better than the failed Mizzou defensive game plan in '08.

Seriously people you are almost living in a shell if you do not expect to see something different this Saturday. My concern is a lot like knapp's though, the base defense hasn't exactly been on lockdown like Alcatraz.

Personally, i think a front of Stache, Baker, TMoore and Crick would be a huge asset and serious threat.

I just hope the defense that they have been working on since August for these next two games works better than the failed Mizzou defensive game plan in '08.

Seriously people you are almost living in a shell if you do not expect to see something different this Saturday. My concern is a lot like knapp's though, the base defense hasn't exactly been on lockdown like Alcatraz.

Personally, i think a front of Stache, Baker, TMoore and Crick would be a huge asset and serious threat.

That game had far more to do with Chase Daniel, Chase Coffman, T-Rucker, Tommy Saunders and Tony Temple starting their 33rd consecutive game and future NFL wideouts Jeremy Maclin and Danarius Alexander starting their 16th consecutive game. Meanwhile guys like Prince Amukamara and Eric Haag and Matt O'Hanlan were making their 4th career starts. Armando Murillo was overmatched athletically, and walk ons like Matt Holt and Lance Thorell saw their first action ever. The only guys with any experience that day were Larry Asante and Murillo, neither of whom was very good in coverage.

The scheme had little to do with that game. The Huskers were overmatched from the first snap. In fact, the defensive improvement that team made throughout the season was nothing short of amazing. Its not about X's and O's its Billys and Joes. When the Billys and Joes can match up, then scheme can make the difference.