REX BURKHEAD???

Burkhead and David are the only players on the team worth their salt. And I guess Fonz, but he was clearly not 100%.

Whoa! Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

We have plenty of kids 'worth their salt'--our WR corps are young, but are hungry and put excellent effort into what they did last night. Our RBs did a good job last night as well, especially Rex. I wasn't too impressed with ARod, but our O-Line did as well as could be expected when we were producing zero passing threat and Wisky was putting 7 or 8 into the box.

Ben Cotton and Co were actually open a lot, but Martinez never looks their way--IIRC, one of them was open for a first down on that first INT Martinez threw, but since he locks onto a receiver and is read as easily as a picture book by opposing defenses, it's a moot point--they may as well been on the bench.

As for defense, our D-Line, David, and Fonz are great--but our other LBs in pass coverage and our secondary leave a lot to be desired.

I dare say, the rest of our secondary looks like it's playing straight out of the "Kevin Cosgrove Pass Coverage for Success" book.

And our special teams were great, save for the lone missed field goal. Our starting field position average, I would wager, was around the 37 yard line.

Martinez just made poor decisions last night in every way. I can't begin to tell you how many time Rex was wide open on the check down play or open in the flat every time the pocket collapsed. Instead, He either threw a pick or tried to keep it and run. He needs to learn how to check down and not always look to make a huge play. And on the goal line? Hand the damn ball off to Burkhead and finish the drive with 7 points!

Burkhead and David are the only players on the team worth their salt. And I guess Fonz, but he was clearly not 100%.

Whoa! Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

We have plenty of kids 'worth their salt'--our WR corps are young, but are hungry and put excellent effort into what they did last night. Our RBs did a good job last night as well, especially Rex. I wasn't too impressed with ARod, but our O-Line did as well as could be expected when we were producing zero passing threat and Wisky was putting 7 or 8 into the box.

Ben Cotton and Co were actually open a lot, but Martinez never looks their way--IIRC, one of them was open for a first down on that first INT Martinez threw, but since he locks onto a receiver and is read as easily as a picture book by opposing defenses, it's a moot point--they may as well been on the bench.

As for defense, our D-Line, David, and Fonz are great--but our other LBs in pass coverage and our secondary leave a lot to be desired.

I dare say, the rest of our secondary looks like it's playing straight out of the "Kevin Cosgrove Pass Coverage for Success" book.

And our special teams were great, save for the lone missed field goal. Our starting field position average, I would wager, was around the 37 yard line.

Excellent points there.....our players are very young and inexperience and it showed last night. We have talent, no question there, but that won't make a big difference if there is no disciple or execution. T-Mart had several passes that he could have dump it into the flats to burkehead to gain like 6 or 8 yards....better than throwing picks. But this team will get better down the road. I hope Nebraska gets another chance at Wiskey....but trips to Michigan and Penn St. are going to be major road blocks. OSU, Michigan St. and Iowa are at home so Iike to believe that we can win those. Just glad the 'First' big ten game is over and the team can now consentrate on the rest of the year...well at least I can.

IMHO we don't need the wildcat to fix our problems. We need an offensive gameplan that predicates itself, regardless of the situation, on running the football. That means even when we're down, we don't try and get cute. We stick to what we have shown we can do well this year which is run the football.

We may be young, and there will be growing pains because of this. Our line isn't experienced and we have youth all over the offense, but doing what we did last night is why people harp for not having an identity. When things get rough, we leave what we do best.

IMHO we don't need the wildcat to fix our problems. We need an offensive gameplan that predicates itself, regardless of the situation, on running the football. That means even when we're down, we don't try and get cute. We stick to what we have shown we can do well this year which is run the football.

We may be young, and there will be growing pains because of this. Our line isn't experienced and we have youth all over the offense, but doing what we did last night is why people harp for not having an identity. When things get rough, we leave what we do best.

Still.

Has there ever been a time when the Rexcat hasn't been something reliable to go to? We were averaging under 3 yards a carry in the first half against Wisconsin. Whatever runs we had in the offensive gameplan weren't really working.

I agree with you otherwise though.

Still trying to figure out why NU all but abandoned the run game when it was only down by 6.

Because Martinez is a square peg, that people constantly want pushed into the round hole of pocket passing, which he just purely can't do.

Nebraska could have kept the score close and possibly even won if they had kept running the football. We didn't lose because Martinez threw three picks - we lost because the coaches wanted him to throw the football way more than he should. Which is why I've been saying Wisconsin is probably a better team than us, but they're not a team that's better than us by 31 points imo.