It's hard to play defense...

epocSoN

The loss of Coach Sanders is the biggest reason why the secondary is down. With him, our secondary imposed it's will. Without him, our secondary is complacent and just "reads and reacts".

Go back and look at our secondary in 2008, this defense is very similar to 2008.

Western Michigan- 24 points given up, 342 yards and 2 TD's

San Jose State, squeeked by- outgained 353 yards to 315 yards, were only up 14-12 until Paul returned a kickoff then a couple more TD's in the 4th

35 points to Virginia Tech, 52 to Missouri, 37 to Texas Tech, 62 to Oklahoma, 35 to Kansas, 31 to Colorado.

People take the last two years where Marvin was loaded with talent and had solid pressure from the front 4 typically and forget 2008.

Raymond will be fine, he's in his first year and has a lot of inexperience in his group.

Bingo, spot on with that post. Raymond wouldnt have gotten the job if Bo didn't trust him and in his teaching/coaching abilities.

I still want to see them become physical with the WRs. After watching the game last night the thought of "the B1G refs wouldn't allow NU's style in pass defense" is a crock. Kyler Reed was mauled in the slot the whole game. It also looked like when Zo was on Toon in the slot, he started getting physical with him in the second half. Disrupting the WRs off the line will screw with a QB throwing on rhythm(like a lot of WIlson's throws last night), help the safeties with not having WRs running free at them, and help the DLine by making the QB wait a hair longer before releasing. This is what I'd love to see Raymond go back to. He is a hell of a recruiter and me thinks will end up being a great hire.

My biggest concern right now is that the defense has not gotten any better since the start of the season. The DL is still missing opportunities, the LBs are still over pursuing and missing gaps and the DBs are still biting on play action and double moves. Nothing has been corrected or fixed and that is on the coaches. I understand we are young, but nothing is getting any better. I hate losing, but could stomach it better if we show improvement.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not in any way advocating putting Bo on the hot seat. But the time to realize that changes have to be made - from Bo on down - is right now.

The strength of this program was always the longevity of the coaching staff. Bo needs to stay, but Bo also needs to grow.

Question: How DO coaches grow? Is it just by watching films, watching what other coaches do? Do they go to workshops like other professionals do? I'm just curious. I love Husker football but have no idea how coaches get better. Thanks :)

Oh, absolutely. I'm not in any way advocating putting Bo on the hot seat. But the time to realize that changes have to be made - from Bo on down - is right now.

The strength of this program was always the longevity of the coaching staff. Bo needs to stay, but Bo also needs to grow.

I really want Bo to stay. The concern though, and I hope we will have an enormous amount of patience with Bo, is that changes were *just* made.

I think a lot of fans are in a very tough spot right now. We want to support Bo because we like his attitude, but we are consistantly being outcoached in big games. We also expeced a lot from these young players who shined in a great defense last year, but have not stepped into there own to lead the unit themselves.

I just hope in the next fews years these coaches can learn to stay as disciplined as they expect their players to be.

Question: How DO coaches grow? Is it just by watching films, watching what other coaches do? Do they go to workshops like other professionals do? I'm just curious. I love Husker football but have no idea how coaches get better. Thanks :)

I think it's simply through game after game and year after year. There was interesting article written by Lee Barf ( :lol: ) where he pointed out that we have one of the youngest (and by extension, inexperienced) coaching staffs in the B1G right now. Coaches get better through the years. For example, it took T.O. nearly 20 years before he put together one of the greatest runs in college football history. Before that, he was a coach who won 9 games every year.