The Latest Quarterback Thread

And furthermore what if Brion turns out to be just like Taylor? Are we going to throw him under the bus and demand a QB switch because he didn't develop as fast as he should have and it's time to start the whole process over for another QB?

That's what's so frustrating about the myopic nature of "bring on the backup." Yes, that is exactly what will happen. And when Carnes is out there making mistakes, people will pine for the glory days when we had a QB who could take it to the house on any given play.

Everyone is frustrated with the development period of Taylor Martinez. I imagine Taylor is rather frustrated as well. People tend to forget that.

I don't think it would have been terrible to put Carnes in for a series or two to let Martinez collect his bearings and calm down.

I understand what you're saying, but do you wonder what that would do further to his mental status? He would then start wondering if he just lost the starting job and we'd be going down that road now. I agree with Brion getting some snaps, it'll only help him and I myself wondered why Martinez was out there in the 4th quarter. We obviously weren't going to win that game so get some other guys some experience, protect your starters no matter how crappy they played, and look forward to next week.

Furthermore, I think the reason the coaches left him in there was because they could see he was shaky and unconfident over what transpired. Get him the experience with dealing with that and let him see if he can do some good things to try and recover some of that confidence back. Seems reasonable to me?

Maybe try looking at it this way. Lets say you had Peyton Manning back there, the halftime score is 27-14, you are down by 13 points. You come out of the half getting the ball, with a real chance to get right back in the game. I mean, you have Manning as your QB. So you start the new half with, wait for a it, a QB draw.

Sound kind of dumb? It is, because Manning is not a good runner. Some might even say that even in college he was a poor runner. Now, think again, lets say you had a QB that was a great runner and good running backs but the QB is not good at passing. Would you call for him to start that half with a pass or a run?

Think, think, wait for it, nope. You would probably have that great running QB start the half with some kind of running play!

• Fire 1

Maybe try looking at it this way. Lets say you had Peyton Manning back there, the halftime score is 27-14, you are down by 13 points. You come out of the half getting the ball, with a real chance to get right back in the game. I mean, you have Manning as your QB. So you start the new half with, wait for a it, a QB draw.

Sound kind of dumb? It is, because Manning is not a good runner. Some might even say that even in college he was a poor runner. Now, think again, lets say you had a QB that was a great runner and good running backs but the QB is not good at passing. Would you call for him to start that half with a pass or a run?

Think, think, wait for it, nope. You would probably have that great running QB start the half with some kind of running play!

Yeah, it made absolutely no sense to me?! At first I wanted to yell at Martinez, but I knew that one was on Beck. I understand Taylor threw the interception, but Beck was the one calling all those damn passing plays. Stupid.........

• Fire 2

t-mart is still developing, he needs his reps just as well. also, t-ragic, although clever, is unfair. he did not lose that game. wiscy was the better team and our coaches failed the players. it is what it is, and it should be a pretty interesting, maybe exciting, season.

Agreed, why would we call a game plan(that Beck and Bo both agreed on) that was a passing game.

What happened to playing to your players strengths? Where was our run game in the second quarter? It looked great on the last drive of the game. Our best pass game may come off play action, whats wrong with that?

I'm sorry, but the "still developing" line is a bunch of crap if you ask me. How many freshmen/sophomore QBs have we seen that are light years ahead of T-ragic. Like I said, its not just because of this game. This just happens to be the next game that he played crappy and we lost. He's averaging two fumbles a game, one INT a game and is barely a factor with the run game lately. When we have as many good RBs as we have, we don't need another one behind center. The only thing we can judge QB v. QB is the spring game. based on that, Carnes has a much better arm. Whether or not that translates to game time, I have no idea. Like I said, I just know that Taylor isn't the answer, so let's see if someone else is. What has he improved on in the last year and a half? at times he makes a few better decisions, and at times he manages the game better, but that's it. He still can't see the wide open underneath routes, he still can't hit a receiver, he stil can't run unless there's a huge hole. He calls his own number WAY too much. I think the only reason he is playing and Carnes isn't is because Carnes isn't seasoned enough to be able to change plays at the line, which isn't different than last year with Taylor. But Carnes has a much higher ceiling!

When you throw three interceptions the way Martinez did, you should be benched. They weren't even close. It wasn't like the defenders made an aggressive move or the WRs didn't complete the route or Martinez didn't time it correctly. Those are errors that can be corrected. He threw it right the f#*k to them. The third one, the Wisconsin DB didn't even have to move. He sideslings it like he's Billy the f'ing Kid shooting from his hip. Watching him throw on the run is enough to raise even an adrenaline-junkie's blood pressure. He panics, tries to make a heroic, spectacular move, and ends up eating sh#t 9 times out of 10. He's not even a good runner. The only time he is dangerous is when there is a massive gap you could drive a truck through, and only because he has superior acceleration. He can't dodge, he can't weave, he can't run laterally for sh#t. He needs to be taking screen passes and zooming up the field, not launching sidearmed shitrockets.

This X 1000

If Taylor is as good as passing as Manning is at running, he should not be out there as QB. Comparison doesn't make any sense.

The opening playcall wasn't too bad. It was a gamble that we'd surprise Wisconsin. Hey, we're down 27-14, we need a bit of a spark at that point. My only wish is that Beck would make Burkhead or Reed, whomever that was,, the first read on this play. How hard can it be to notice a guy completely open running right in front of you?

I think I am more worried about the extent to which Taylor rolling out is part of the gameplan than the playcall itself. It wasn't too bad of a playcall because we did get 'em with it, the underneath guy was completely open. Beck doesn't call "pass to ___ receiver", Beck calls a play that should beat the defense, and the guy right in front of Taylor had the defense beat.

I did think Beck's plan was to go to run right after that opening playcall, but obviously it didn't work out that way. If at that point we couldn't count on Taylor to make a single pass at all, we may as well have waved the white flag.

t-mart is still developing, he needs his reps just as well. also, t-ragic, although clever, is unfair. he did not lose that game. wiscy was the better team and our coaches failed the players. it is what it is, and it should be a pretty interesting, maybe exciting, season.

Agreed, why would we call a game plan(that Beck and Bo both agreed on) that was a passing game.

What happened to playing to your players strengths? Where was our run game in the second quarter? It looked great on the last drive of the game. Our best pass game may come off play action, whats wrong with that?

I'm sorry, but the "still developing" line is a bunch of crap if you ask me. How many freshmen/sophomore QBs have we seen that are light years ahead of T-ragic. Like I said, its not just because of this game. This just happens to be the next game that he played crappy and we lost. He's averaging two fumbles a game, one INT a game and is barely a factor with the run game lately. When we have as many good RBs as we have, we don't need another one behind center. The only thing we can judge QB v. QB is the spring game. based on that, Carnes has a much better arm. Whether or not that translates to game time, I have no idea. Like I said, I just know that Taylor isn't the answer, so let's see if someone else is. What has he improved on in the last year and a half? at times he makes a few better decisions, and at times he manages the game better, but that's it. He still can't see the wide open underneath routes, he still can't hit a receiver, he stil can't run unless there's a huge hole. He calls his own number WAY too much. I think the only reason he is playing and Carnes isn't is because Carnes isn't seasoned enough to be able to change plays at the line, which isn't different than last year with Taylor. But Carnes has a much higher ceiling!

You seem to forget that our defense has been playing so poorly I could probably look like a great freshman QB right now. Anyone can make reads and throws against our secondary and LB's. Nevermind the fact that our "great" defensive line can't get any amount of pressure on a QB.

• Fire 2

Missing open receivers happens to every quarterback. We as fans are asking for a perfect quarterback, and to get a good quarterback we are going to have to take some lumps. It amazes me that we are willing to let this guy contribute 75% of our offense (and be a big part of the reason we won) for 4 games prior to this, and at the first sign of adversity he faces, people want him canned for an unproven backup who has zero meaningful game experience. Mind boggling.

Missing open receivers happens, yes. but he misses BAD more than he is on target. THAT doesn't happen to every QB. I've always wanted him canned, I just kept it mostly to myself until now :)

If Taylor is as good as passing as Manning is at running, he should not be out there as QB. Comparison doesn't make any sense.

The opening playcall wasn't too bad. It was a gamble that we'd surprise Wisconsin. Hey, we're down 27-14, we need a bit of a spark at that point. My only wish is that Beck would make Burkhead or Reed, whomever that was,, the first read on this play. How hard can it be to notice a guy completely open running right in front of you?

I think I am more worried about the extent to which Taylor rolling out is part of the gameplan than the playcall itself. It wasn't too bad of a playcall because we did get 'em with it, the underneath guy was completely open. Beck doesn't call "pass to ___ receiver", Beck calls a play that should beat the defense, and the guy right in front of Taylor had the defense beat.

I did think Beck's plan was to go to run right after that opening playcall, but obviously it didn't work out that way. If at that point we couldn't count on Taylor to make a single pass at all, we may as well have waved the white flag.

In the midst of all this talk I totally forgot about the three times he missed Burkhead wide the hell open on the checkdown. That was really not good. Granted I don't think Martinez should be benched just yet, but the way he stares down receivers, and doesn't go through his progressions is really really bad.

You seem to forget that our defense has been playing so poorly I could probably look like a great freshman QB right now. Anyone can make reads and throws against our secondary and LB's. Nevermind the fact that our "great" defensive line can't get any amount of pressure on a QB.

Well, yes, our defense is playing terrible. But I know the Washington QB has been good against other teams also.

I do think Taylor's play is having an effect on the defense too. Granted, they're playing bad on their own, but imagine being the defense when the QB is fumbling, and throwing INTs all over the place. You never get to rest, and by the second and third pick, you're starting to get pissed at the QB and it can deflate you really fast. Again, I'm not blaming Taylor for the defenses problems, just wouldn't be surprised if it has a small effect.

It makes sense, it makes perfect sense. Would you run Manning? Nope, why not? he is not a good runner.

Would you make T-Mart pass when there is no reason to? Nope, he is not good at it.

Soooo, let me know if you still dont get it. See, they are both QB's with a specific skill set.

In regards to Martinez, its not all about his play in this game or this loss. He consistently makes the same FUNDAMENTAL mistakes in most games including games that we win. Its not an issue of developing or learning. If he hasn't learned the fundamentals of the QB position at this point the he likely never will.

He doesn't scan the field and he makes terrible decisions with the ball. On many of the pass plays in the second quarter his dump off receiver was wide open in the flat and he didn't even look at him. THis year and last year he consistently failed to throw the ball away when the play was over and ended up getting sacked. His decision making ability, the most important thing a QB needs, is poor and not getting better.

In addition to this he consistently fumbles the ball and panics in the pocket. I cannot for teh life of me understand why the coaches are sticking with him at quarterback. No wonder Cody Green transferred.