The Latest Quarterback Thread

I agree. Taylor isn't getting better. And yeah, maybe it won't be Brion, maybe it's RK3, or Turner. And maybe it'll be none, but like you said. Now is the time to find out. Get some time in the OSU game, if it goes well, then get the reps in practice for two weeks over the bye week and start at Minnesota. the timins is perfect. If it doesn't happen now, its not going to happen at all, unless Taylor gets hurt.

This is such a pipe-dream. Ron Kellogg III can't run. He has two bad wheels, and he's less a threat to run than Taylor is to pass. You want to make our offense completely one-dimensional? Brilliant.

Or you want to go with Carnes. Carnes himself will tell you he's not ready, that he's the backup for a reason, but ignore that - he's clearly better. Or, if he's not better than Martinez, you're willing to give him time to fail while learning on the job - but you're not willing to give Martinez that time. You surmise that it'll take Carnes three weeks to exceed Martinez? Give me a break. He's not ready. He's not playing for a reason, and it isn't because our coaches are just stupid.

Or better yet, you want to give the ball to Jamal Turner. Brilliant. A guy with the same skill set as Martinez, with zero college experience at QB, playing against some very stout upcoming defenses. That's a great plan - bench the only guy with any experience we have in favor of a raw Freshman. We tried that once. We called it "2010." The offensive equivalent of the Titanic.

I am not calling for RK3 or for Taylor to be benched, but it's not like we don't have Tyler Legate, Rex Burkhead, three freshman running backs, Austin Jones, and a proven Wildcat package. Putting in a QB who can't run, how does that make the offense 'even more' one-dimensional?

QB is a big liability right now, because we have all these playmakers, but we can't make the best use of them.

Unfortunately Taylor is all we have this year. I am skeptical of his potential but he could prove me wrong yet. Carnes not being ready has more to do with not calling for Taylor's benching than Taylor's current abilities as a QB.

Taylor is obviously a good guy and extremely talented...I just can't help but wonder, if his talents wouldn't be a lot more useful elsewhere on the field. We are talking about putting him in the best position to succeed. I wonder if that wouldn't be as WR (where he worked in '09) or maybe DB (what was talked about during his recruitment).

And furthermore what if Brion turns out to be just like Taylor? Are we going to throw him under the bus and demand a QB switch because he didn't develop as fast as he should have and it's time to start the whole process over for another QB?

That's what's so frustrating about the myopic nature of "bring on the backup." Yes, that is exactly what will happen. And when Carnes is out there making mistakes, people will pine for the glory days when we had a QB who could take it to the house on any given play.

Everyone is frustrated with the development period of Taylor Martinez. I imagine Taylor is rather frustrated as well. People tend to forget that.

So, some of our fans were okay to write off Carnes after his first series in college but we have to wait years to allow Taylor to develop?? Would it really hurt anything to put in Carnes for a single series in the first half and a single series in the 2nd half? Are you guys all going to jump all over him when Martinez gets hurt and he gets thrown to the wolves without any significant experience? I really don't care if getting Carnes a few snaps hurts Taylor's confidence. He shouldn't have any based on how he plays. So what would have happened had we just run the option? How many more times would he have fumbled? As usual his teammates bailed him out and recovered it for him.

how about call a game plan that suits your qb's strengths, rather than force your qb into a game plan in which he is destined to fail.

So he needs a perfect situation in every game to be successful. Sorry but if he is so athletic then he can overcome some bad playcalling, kind of like other mobile QB's. They playcalling was bad from the 2Q on, but if the play is in the playbook then he should be able to handle it by now. Taylor is not improving and all people are asking for is a QB that will. Maybe Brion, RK3, or Turner won't be any better, but it's time for Bo to find out. Also maybe putting Taylor into a competition will make him sink or swim.

i just disagree with this. you call a game that utilizes his strengths, not one that exposes his weaknesses.

He fumbles a lot. So by your definition, him running the ball exposes his weaknesses so that also must make Beck a bad playcaller.

how about call a game plan that suits your qb's strengths, rather than force your qb into a game plan in which he is destined to fail.

So he needs a perfect situation in every game to be successful. Sorry but if he is so athletic then he can overcome some bad playcalling, kind of like other mobile QB's. They playcalling was bad from the 2Q on, but if the play is in the playbook then he should be able to handle it by now. Taylor is not improving and all people are asking for is a QB that will. Maybe Brion, RK3, or Turner won't be any better, but it's time for Bo to find out. Also maybe putting Taylor into a competition will make him sink or swim.

i just disagree with this. you call a game that utilizes his strengths, not one that exposes his weaknesses.

He fumbles a lot. So by your definition, him running the ball exposes his weaknesses so that also must make Beck a bad playcaller.

first, i disagree. second, he doesn't have to necessarily run every time. we have running backs, they should be utilized.

And furthermore what if Brion turns out to be just like Taylor? Are we going to throw him under the bus and demand a QB switch because he didn't develop as fast as he should have and it's time to start the whole process over for another QB?

That's what's so frustrating about the myopic nature of "bring on the backup." Yes, that is exactly what will happen. And when Carnes is out there making mistakes, people will pine for the glory days when we had a QB who could take it to the house on any given play.

Everyone is frustrated with the development period of Taylor Martinez. I imagine Taylor is rather frustrated as well. People tend to forget that.

So, some of our fans were okay to write off Carnes after his first series in college but we have to wait years to allow Taylor to develop?? Would it really hurt anything to put in Carnes for a single series in the first half and a single series in the 2nd half? Are you guys all going to jump all over him when Martinez gets hurt and he gets thrown to the wolves without any significant experience? I really don't care if getting Carnes a few snaps hurts Taylor's confidence. He shouldn't have any based on how he plays. So what would have happened had we just run the option? How many more times would he have fumbled? As usual his teammates bailed him out and recovered it for him.

I wish there was a "like" button like there is on facebook. I would "like" this post. :) Carnes is the backup and yet he has barely any reps in a live game. How is that for planning?

And yes, we're getting pretty good at recovering fumbles. We've had a lot of practice the last few years.

Who are you talking to? I haven't jumped all over anybody. I think you're projecting here - you are the one denouncing Martinez, not me.

Who are you talking to? I haven't jumped all over anybody. I think you're projecting here - you are the one denouncing Martinez, not me.

I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to BIGREDIOWAN and a few others. He was one of them who wrote off Carnes right away. You were the voice of reason on the very same thread.

When you throw three interceptions the way Martinez did, you should be benched. They weren't even close. It wasn't like the defenders made an aggressive move or the WRs didn't complete the route or Martinez didn't time it correctly. Those are errors that can be corrected. He threw it right the f#*k to them. The third one, the Wisconsin DB didn't even have to move. He sideslings it like he's Billy the f'ing Kid shooting from his hip. Watching him throw on the run is enough to raise even an adrenaline-junkie's blood pressure. He panics, tries to make a heroic, spectacular move, and ends up eating sh#t 9 times out of 10. He's not even a good runner. The only time he is dangerous is when there is a massive gap you could drive a truck through, and only because he has superior acceleration. He can't dodge, he can't weave, he can't run laterally for sh#t. He needs to be taking screen passes and zooming up the field, not launching sidearmed shitrockets.

This is all wrong! He was on Sports science for god's sake! Sports Science! Didn't you see him making all those cuts in a lab that looks nothing like a football field and having the host yell out numbers dramatically? He must have some lateral moves!

But seriously, I'm glad you bring that up because I've felt the same way for a while now and some clown I was talking to a while ago tried to use the sports science as proof that he's got good jukes.

I challenge anyone to find me a worse passer in a BCS conference. Hell, any conference that isn't a service academy. At this point, his throwing is about as effective as a service academy QB.

We need a distributor of the football folks. We can't have one person who so much of the game depends on. We saw it last year when he got injured and we saw it again last night.