The Latest Quarterback Thread

It makes sense, it makes perfect sense. Would you run Manning? Nope, why not? he is not a good runner.

Would you make T-Mart pass when there is no reason to? Nope, he is not good at it.

Soooo, let me know if you still dont get it.

Taylor is not that bad at passing, and he needs to pass if he is the quarterback. Manning does not need to run, and he simply cannot run. Sorry, the analogy breaks down there. Unless you are suggesting to call a comparable number of passes by Taylor as the Colts would call runs with Manning. Which would average to around 0 times a game.

how about call a game plan that suits your qb's strengths, rather than force your qb into a game plan in which he is destined to fail.

His only strength is straight line running. How do you call a game plan around that? If your QB can't hit the most basic of throws and find the check down routes, then its really hard to game plan at all, and you should start thinking of finding another QB. We have RBs that can run, we need someone that can pass or the box just gets loaded and they play a basic zone waiting for the QB to mess up. A good passing QB that can scramble when needed is what we need. Whether or not Carnes can do that is yet to be seen.

• Fire 1

I was hoping that his decision making had improved and through the first few games, it looked like it actually had.

Until last night. I saw flashbacks of last years Big XII title game. Of him standing in the pocket, just looking around like he was lost, and then waiting until it was too late to make a decision. He's got to be more decisive, or the hopping around in the pocket is going to do more harm than good. Not too mention, what happened to the sliding he was doing? It seemed like the hostile environment just cause him to revert to the mistakes he made last year.

how about call a game plan that suits your qb's strengths, rather than force your qb into a game plan in which he is destined to fail.

His only strength is straight line running. How do you call a game plan around that? If your QB can't hit the most basic of throws and find the check down routes, then its really hard to game plan at all, and you should start thinking of finding another QB. We have RBs that can run, we need someone that can pass or the box just gets loaded and they play a basic zone waiting for the QB to mess up. A good passing QB that can scramble when needed is what we need. Whether or not Carnes can do that is yet to be seen.

run the ball, simple screens, hand off to turner on an end around or sweep. establish the run, then try to open the pass game on play action or simple short passes. beck is upstairs, he should know what t-mart's progression should be. tell t-mart to go to his check down first or just to focus on two wrs. simplify the game for him, help him get the ball to playmakers, even if it's just pounding the ball. the gameplan should have focused on t.o.p knowing our weaknesses and their strengths.

It makes sense, it makes perfect sense. Would you run Manning? Nope, why not? he is not a good runner.

Would you make T-Mart pass when there is no reason to? Nope, he is not good at it.

Taylor is not that bad at passing, and he needs to pass if he is the quarterback. Manning does not need to run, and he simply cannot run. Sorry, the analogy breaks down there. Unless you are suggesting to call a comparable number of passes by Taylor as the Colts would call runs with Manning. Which would average to around 0 times a game.

Manning, in college, could run a bit, hell he was an all-state basketball player I think. The guy could get around. I am talking about Manning in college. The analogy works, it makes perfect sense, again.

In regards to Martinez, its not all about his play in this game or this loss. He consistently makes the same FUNDAMENTAL mistakes in most games including games that we win. Its not an issue of developing or learning. If he hasn't learned the fundamentals of the QB position at this point the he likely never will.

He doesn't scan the field and he makes terrible decisions with the ball. On many of the pass plays in the second quarter his dump off receiver was wide open in the flat and he didn't even look at him. THis year and last year he consistently failed to throw the ball away when the play was over and ended up getting sacked. His decision making ability, the most important thing a QB needs, is poor and not getting better.

In addition to this he consistently fumbles the ball and panics in the pocket. I cannot for teh life of me understand why the coaches are sticking with him at quarterback. No wonder Cody Green transferred.

These mirror my thoughts quite well. Its not just this game. He's a mess all the time. And, yes, no wonder Cody transferred. If you feel you're not getting a fair chance, why would you stay. We'll be lucky to keep Carnes at this rate. I also don't understand why they stubbornly stick with Taylor, the experiment has failed. Time to try something else. If nothing else is tried and Martinez doesn't improve by the end of the year (I doubt he does), then I'll start to question the coaching of this team.

run the ball, simple screens, hand off to turner on an end around or sweep. establish the run, then try to open the pass game on play action or simple short passes. beck is upstairs, he should know what t-mart's progression should be. tell t-mart to go to his check down first or just to focus on two wrs. simplify the game for him, help him get the ball to playmakers, even if it's just pounding the ball. the gameplan should have focused on t.o.p knowing our weaknesses and their strengths.

The problem is he can't even hit or find the simple screens. He's lucky we have some really good WRs right now, or his comp % would be closer to 35 or 40%. Those guys have made some great catches on some terribly thrown balls. And TMart doesn't have a progession. Its one and done and run.

This. OK, well, Taylor has some more strengths than that, including in the passing game. But they seem liable to disappear. If you can't count on them not to, what do you do?

I freely admit Beck did not have a great gameplan and nor did he call a great game. And that Taylor wasn't put in the best position to succeed. But the biggest problem with Taylor struggling is not that Beck isn't allowing him to succeed, it's that Taylor couldn't do this and couldn't do that.

Both parties are culpable, so let's just hope for a better game next week.

Manning, in college, could run a bit, hell he was an all-state basketball player I think. The guy could get around. I am talking about Manning in college. The analogy works, it makes perfect sense, again.

Maybe if Manning was called to run 15 times a game.

Look, calling a QB draw with College Peyton as a changeup is clearly a more unusual situation than calling a pass play with Taylor to try to catch the defense off guard.

The problem is he can't even hit or find the simple screens. He's lucky we have some really good WRs right now, or his comp % would be closer to 35 or 40%. Those guys have made some great catches on some terribly thrown balls. And TMart doesn't have a progession. Its one and done and run.

the problem is that he gives us the best chance to win, and the gameplan needs to adjust, you shouldn't expect him to do what he can't, and you can't get mad at him when he doesn't.

So he needs a perfect situation in every game to be successful. Sorry but if he is so athletic then he can overcome some bad playcalling, kind of like other mobile QB's. They playcalling was bad from the 2Q on, but if the play is in the playbook then he should be able to handle it by now. Taylor is not improving and all people are asking for is a QB that will. Maybe Brion, RK3, or Turner won't be any better, but it's time for Bo to find out. Also maybe putting Taylor into a competition will make him sink or swim.

So he needs a perfect situation in every game to be successful. Sorry but if he is so athletic then he can overcome some bad playcalling, kind of like other mobile QB's. They playcalling was bad from the 2Q on, but if the play is in the playbook then he should be able to handle it by now. Taylor is not improving and all people are asking for is a QB that will. Maybe Brion, RK3, or Turner won't be any better, but it's time for Bo to find out. Also maybe putting Taylor into a competition will make him sink or swim.

i just disagree with this. you call a game that utilizes his strengths, not one that exposes his weaknesses.

Maybe if Manning was called to run 15 times a game.

Look, calling a QB draw with College Peyton as a changeup is clearly a more unusual situation than calling a pass play with Taylor to try to catch the defense off guard.

Martinez does have to pass the ball, but if we're running an option offense (which is what we thought going into the game), then he shouldn't be asked to throw the ball on 14/15 plays in the 2nd quarter. Asking Taylor to run the fun-n-gun really is like asking Peyton Manning to run the option.

We're a run first offense, or at least we were when we entered the game, and it's not like Beck tried to call a balanced offense in that second quarter. He called a completely pass-happy offense. It was completely the opposite of what he says about playing to the strengths of your team.

I agree. Taylor isn't getting better. And yeah, maybe it won't be Brion, maybe it's RK3, or Turner. And maybe it'll be none, but like you said. Now is the time to find out. Get some time in the OSU game, if it goes well, then get the reps in practice for two weeks over the bye week and start at Minnesota. the timins is perfect. If it doesn't happen now, its not going to happen at all, unless Taylor gets hurt.