What do you bugeaters think about the B10 Network?

Duffman

Hey guys, Iowa fan here, and I'm curious about your impression of the B10 network (outside of the game programming) so far. I know when it first came out the studio stuff seemed like an afterthought and I didn't really take it seriously. It certainly wasn’t pulling me away from ESPN’s Gameday pre-game show, nor did I watch any of the post-game analysis or wrap-up.

However over the years I think they have really improved their studio and feature programming to the point where it’s a very viable product, even as a stand-alone product. Of course it could be that like an ugly girlfriend with a great personality it’s just sort of grown on me as time has gone by and I’ve learned to live with it by tuning out the ugly.

I’m curious on what you guys think of it. I’m assuming most of you didn’t get much exposure to it until recently and I’m wondering what those that tuned in to the finished product think.

I can’t wait to visit Lincoln on the 25th, I hope you guys fix what you need to fix and we’re playing for a spot in the title game. Suckeye fan out.

I LOVE BTN network. It's so nice not to have to pay to see our boys play. It was also so much fun watching our games from back in the 90's again. ESPN is ok but they repeat alot and some of their announcers don't like Nebraska (Fowler!) Give me BTN network any day.

I wish they did something for football like they do with "The Journey" for basketball.

Yeah they tried that with Illannoy the year after they went to the Rose Bowl. It turns out watchig The Zooker lead his team to a 3-8 season from behind the scenes is real sh**ty television.

I watch it all the time. The analysts all seem to know what they're talking about and provide excellent insight into B1G Athletics. I love the variety within the network in terms of teams featured and I also love the new content each week. Definitely one of my favorite parts of joining the conference. You have to understand the total absence of this from FSN. The Big XII has nothing going for it in terms of professional television coverage/analysis. Big Ten Network is great and I've never been happier to lay back on the couch on Sundays and catch up on what I missed the day before.

Count me in on liking BTN. And not to drag ESPN/politics into this thread, but I am all for some competition to ESPN. :)

And the nerd in me gets annoyed that the BTN's 5.1 Dolby Digital signal puts the main audio on the L/R channels instead of the center channel. (I used to think I didn't need 5.1 sound for football, but I've been spoiled with ESPN's audio.)

Count me in on liking BTN. And not to drag ESPN/politics into this thread, but I am all for some competition to ESPN. :)

And the nerd in me gets annoyed that the BTN's 5.1 Dolby Digital signal puts the main audio on the L/R channels instead of the center channel. (I used to think I didn't need 5.1 sound for football, but I've been spoiled with ESPN's audio.)

Another nice thing, and maybe this is why you like it, is that if they isolate the announcers in the center (like FSN does/did), you can unhook the center channel and just get game sound (or turn off the center amp if you have separates-- just setting "Center" to "none" won't work). The channels that do that are my favorite. I pay closer attention to the game and spend less time irritated with the broadcast if i don't have anyone telling me what I'm seeing. I had a lot of fun watching games with only the ambient sound from the stadium coming in in (essentially) 4.1 :)

Another nice thing, and maybe this is why you like it, is that if they isolate the announcers in the center (like FSN does/did), you can unhook the center channel and just get game sound (or turn off the center amp if you have separates-- just setting "Center" to "none" won't work). The channels that do that are my favorite. I pay closer attention to the game and spend less time irritated with the broadcast if i don't have anyone telling me what I'm seeing. I had a lot of fun watching games with only the ambient sound from the stadium coming in in (essentially) 4.1 :)

+1

Thank you thank you thank you. Because of this post I was able to enjoy a game on CBS like never before. Finally I have a way to tune out Phil f'ing Simms. Dear lord I hate that guy, just the sound of his voice makes me want to beat puppies.

Please PM me your name, address, and DOB so I can send you appropriate man presents on your birthday going forward.

BTW it's pretty amazing the other things you catch, trash talk, sounds of hits, etc when you have the announcers turned off. It also essentially mutes commercials that utilize 5.1 as well. What a great way to watch the game.

Thank you thank you thank you. Because of this post I was able to enjoy a game on CBS like never before. Finally I have a way to tune out Phil f'ing Simms. Dear lord I hate that guy, just the sound of his voice makes me want to beat puppies.

Please PM me your name, address, and DOB so I can send you appropriate man presents on your birthday going forward.

BTW it's pretty amazing the other things you catch, trash talk, sounds of hits, etc when you have the announcers turned off. It also essentially mutes commercials that utilize 5.1 as well. What a great way to watch the game.

Haha, glad to here you enjoyed the 5.1 broadcast. Now, just don't get frustrated if you switch back to the BTN (and I think FSN does it too). :)

My contribution is only towards the bigtenticket.com which is aimed towards out-of-country viewers. It cost $89.95 for the season, which includes all the B1G football and basketball games for the year (I think the school package i.e. just getting NU games was $69.95). I bought it primarily to watch the first two games that were actually on the B1G Network, and it worked flawlessly. The picture on my MacBook Pro is very good. The problem with it, though, is that there is only TWO Husker games actually scheduled for the B1G Network. They didn't put either Wyoming or Washington on the ticket, not even delayed for the next day. The OSU game just showed up this morning. No way was I going to wait around to see if the big ten ticket finally offered it, so I had to resort to 'other means' to find and watch the game live. I realize the licensing and copyright and contractual issues that they have to go through, but I would've liked to have every game available if you are not in the country and have no other legal options to watch the game.

That is my only argument. I don't pretend to understand international trade regulations, but what harm does it really do to offer a game in another part of the world if U.S. networks aren't benefiting or have any sort of competition abroad?