Presser

When did I embrace Dirk? And judging by his mug, why would I want to? (No offense, Dirk. Sip is just so much more huggable).

I don't think you're the bad guy, knapp. Anyway, I guess where most of this disconnect comes from is that (IMO) the press has really not even begun starting to turn on Bo Pelini. The spotlight and scrutiny level will always be high, especially after a loss like we had to Wisconsin. When they really do turn on him - knock on wood, but unless this team exceeds all reasonable expectation it's bound to happen at some point - it will be vicious, and I definitely will not be on their side when it happens.

• Fire 1

Is it possible to think both Bo and Dirk are acting like boobs? Maybe one is a bigger boob then the other but they are both being boobs.

I support Bo because he is the coach of The Big Red that doesn’t mean I have to like him or agree with how he does things. Just like I will support Obama because he is the President of The United States that doesn’t mean I have to like him or agree with him.

When did I embrace Dirk? And judging by his mug, why would I want to? (No offense, Dirk. Sip is just so much more huggable). I don't think you're the bad guy, knapp. Anyway, I guess where most of this disconnect comes from is that (IMO) the press has really not even begun starting to turn on Bo Pelini. The spotlight and scrutiny level will always be high, especially after a loss like we had to Wisconsin. When they really do turn on him - knock on wood, but unless this team exceeds all reasonable expectation it's bound to happen at some point - it will be vicious, and I definitely will not be on their side when it happens.

You're right, the media really wasn't that bad last week. It was social media that was really bad. Where I think Dirk gets in trouble sometimes (at least where he loses me) is when he starts lending more credence to that world than he does to the coaches and players themselves. He did the same thing last year in a few articles he wrote about Taylor Martinez. He should be skeptical of what the coaches and players say, that's his job, but he goes overboard sometimes.

• Fire 1

I would also suggest that Dirk (and the rest of the local press) dedicate about ten times the number of column inches to the defense than they do to the offense, or any particular player, over the next week.

The defense hemorrhages yards and points. But all we hear about is the other side of the ball. Let's change the focus of the conversation, folks.

This really is a fascinating topic and is a microcosm of a deeper division in Husker nation that started around the time Callahan was hired--or maybe back to 62-36 (or perhaps the "Osborne can't win the big one" commentary that preceded most forms of internet message boards.)

The salient point here is that Pelini chose to draw a line in the sand, and there's going to be some debate on whether it was necessary and what it really means. Supporting his players? Great. I love the fire, and most of his players love playing for him. However, taken in a larger context with some of the tantrums Pelini has thrown on the sidelines, his latest condemnation of Chatelain's article can be viewed as a deeper issue, and viewpoints critical of Pelini are just as valid as those opinions critical of the media in general (which IMHO has been overly critical at times.)

I'm not trying to play sides here and I hope my choice of wording reflects that. I just hope it all works out in favor of Pelini because that means the team and kids playing for us are successful.

• Fire 3

This really is a fascinating topic and is a microcosm of a deeper division in Husker nation that started around the time Callahan was hired--or maybe back to 62-36 (or perhaps the "Osborne can't win the big one" commentary that preceded most forms of internet message boards.)

Agree, both with how fascinating this topic is and with the possible beginnings of this division.

I would also suggest that Dirk (and the rest of the local press) dedicate about ten times the number of column inches to the defense than they do to the offense, or any particular player, over the next week.

The defense hemorrhages yards and points. But all we hear about is the other side of the ball. Let's change the focus of the conversation, folks.

This times a million. The offense has been good all year, maybe better than we could have expected from a 1st year OC. The defense looked very very good on paper but have been incredibly mediocre, even flat-out bad at times.

Yes, yes, yes and yes again.

Seriously - even after this game the focus continues to be Martinez and now, specifically, Pelini and the media. To the media - I get it, Bo makes your job tough. Oh, but what's that? It's been four years, and he is still the same? Maybe we should be used to it by now? Meh...naw...naw...lets just complain about the same stuff again and again.

To Bo - get a better grasp of your position. You don't have to give a damn thing to the media, but for the most part your supporters (and your boss) demand that you do. Life will be easier for you the moment you become more human in front of the fans that I believe, for the most part, truly appreciate you and what you do here. I am one of them.

Now that every media organization and Pelini himself has read my post, we have nothing else to worry about folks.

This just saddens me.  The day Husker fans choose a hack writer over their own team..... :dunno

You go ahead and stand by Dirk.  I'll stand by the players and coaches.

Good luck to you.

My whole point: it's not an either-or thing. I stand by Bo as I have said, but I choose not to be livid over that article, because it's not worth being livid over. But go ahead, you can keep drawing those battle lines. The idea that if you thought Dirk's article wasn't garbage, you are against Bo and against the team...is what saddens me.

And Chuck, I was basing that on the comments I read on Dirk's article before the Ohio State game. A lot of people agreed with him. Or at the least didn't consider it anti-team, the way it's being portrayed now. Of course - we can sweepingly proclaim all those fans who made those comments as anti-team.

But of course. Hate on Dirk, or you hate on the team. Good luck rallying people to your "side", knapp, I think you'll have no trouble. I wonder why sides even need to be drawn. I thought that we were all fans who supported the team. Silly me.

There are going to be some entries in this thread that I haven't read yet, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating something that someone has already said. My problem with Dirk is the history. He has a history of second guessing, and stupidly so. No links here (sorry) but you can go review some of his old articles. So Friday's article is just another piece of drivel. Does it stand on its own? Maybe, maybe not. But my opinion of his opinion is jaded by what to me is a bias against Pelini, and some really dumb statements about what Bo "should have done." If you want me to dig up links it'll be at a later time when I'm less tired.

I guess we should be proud of that?...

Dan Beebe disagrees, though.

So you never thought it was juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit fishy that we never heard about anybody getting prosecuted for making terroristic threats, despite all those tens of thousands of Husker fans allegedly (that being the key word here) making them?

It made perfect sense to you that Dan wasn't willing to send a low-profile representative of the Big XII to present the trophy?

You honestly believed that no security detail on the planet would be capable of stopping the tiny handful of Husker fans irate enough (and stupid enough) to actually attempt to take Dan's life as he presented the trophy to us?

The defense rests, your honor.

Dan Beebe is one of the lamest people alive, I brought his name up as a joke, and because he was in the news trashing Nebraska again today.

Still though, there are a lot of Husker fans trying to defend the fair-weather fans by saying things like, "Well, at least we're not as bad as THEM," or "Well, every fan base has fans that boo and overly criticize their players." That's a terrible defense.

Gotcha. Must've mis-read that, my bad.

I don't think anybody's trying to defend the fairweather fans... seems to me like some people have generalized our fan base because of it (even some people on here, if huskerjock's thread from a few days ago is any indication), and I think it's more a defense of that. That, and perhaps a disagreement on what constitutes a "fairweather" fan, but that's a debate I don't care to re-hash.