Stanley Jean-Baptiste

tschu

My comment is aside from his good play in this game. I thought he was gonna be an answer at WR. I'm pleased with what we are seeing develop at WR ... and who can argue with what we saw on the field by the guy in this past game. Guess I feel a bit like when we took Steinkuhler away from the O line and put him on the D line. Personally, I think time has shown we needed him on the O line. Obviously, the coaches know what they are doing and their plan ... my perspective is only as a fan ... I'm just hoping that we don't stay talent deficient at the WR spot. I know Bo can develop the CB spot ... it's finding talent at WR that seems to be this teams problem. We can find blocking WR's (one is in the NFL now), but it's tough to find one that can run routes, get open and block.

I feel like our WR play is better now than it has been in years. and look at who they are.... freshman RS freshman and sophomore and then kinnie. maybe I am being to optimistic here

To me, it seemed that he was real relaxed back in the secondary. All the other corners (green, evans, mitchell, cooper) just look like they have way too much going through their head and are not playing football. I realize that our defense is complex and has a lot of reads, but at the end of the day, they just need to settle down and play football. Quit thinking too much.

Did you think of that? Or did Lavonte David tell you to say that?

Is he the answer for our secondary? Him entering the game seemed to be one of the many turning points that got it all rolling in our favor. Boneheaded penalty aside, he looked like an actual corner out there and as a whole (with some help from Joe Bauserman) our secondary looked better than it has all year. For a converted wide receiver, I thought he played amazing.

Thoughts?

We haven't had a play like that all year. Then this guy comes in and does it in just a few series. Hell yes, the man should be on the field in my opinion. Let's git er' done coaches! The kids a playmaker! Although, his talents could still be utilized at WR too. We may not want to forget that.

Is he the answer for our secondary? Him entering the game seemed to be one of the many turning points that got it all rolling in our favor. Boneheaded penalty aside, he looked like an actual corner out there and as a whole (with some help from Joe Bauserman) our secondary looked better than it has all year. For a converted wide receiver, I thought he played amazing.

Thoughts?

We haven't had a play like that all year. Then this guy comes in and does it in just a few series. Hell yes, the man should be on the field in my opinion. Let's git er' done coaches! The kids a playmaker! Although, his talents could still be utilized at WR too. We may not want to forget that.

Bo said in his conference call today that he expects Stanley to start vs Minnesota. I guess it was so obvious that he didn't bother to take his usual wait and see approach.

Thoughts?

Bo said in his conference call today that he expects Stanley to start vs Minnesota. I guess it was so obvious that he didn't bother to take his usual wait and see approach.

Thanks for the update...and really...once Fonzie gets his feet under him...this isn't a move that can derail an otherwise questionable secondary, but maybe get it solidified.

Thoughts?

Wow. Bo didn't even say his usual "we'll see, it's a week to week battle in practice". I've always thought he was kind of full of it with that whole saying anyway. I mean, Courtney Osborne was a beast on this team last year. If he earned that job in practice, what the hell could he possibly have done to lose it. Bo's doghouse is f'ing' huge man!

That's not what Bo said about SJB. He said they put him out there because they have confidence in him - not that he would start.

Having said that, I expect SJB to start against Minnesota, or at the very least see significant playing time.

EDIT - had to strike through some of that. I know for a fact I heard Bo say the part in the first line I didn't strike through, but I'm watching Big Red Wrapup just now and Brian Rosenthal from the LJS just said that Bo basically did say that SJB 'probably earned the start.'

Mea culpa! Sorry, guys.

Here is the actual quote.

Could Jean-Baptiste potentially start at cornerback when the Huskers take on Minnesota in two weeks?

“Yeah, I think so. That’s why we moved him in the first place. We wouldn’t have moved him if we didn’t think he could make a significant difference on our football team.”

In any case it's definitely unlike Bo to be this straight forward, but it's very refreshing.

Whew Lord .. watching a man the size of SJB open his hips, turn, run, track the ball and then snatch it like that was a thing of beauty. I guarantee there was some scout in the stands drooling watching that, knowing the kid has spent barely any time playing the position.

But potential is just that. Tons of kids will show a team a little something, but never end up fulfilling that potential.

Thanks for the update...and really...once Fonzie gets his feet under him...this isn't a move that can derail an otherwise questionable secondary, but maybe get it solidified.

Is there a problem with him I haven't noticed? I think he's had one or two passes completed on him and is rarely thrown to.

He's not at his best. He'll tell you that. He'll get better. But yeah...he definitely dares the other team, which is a nice option to have in the secondary.

Whew Lord .. watching a man the size of SJB open his hips, turn, run, track the ball and then snatch it like that was a thing of beauty. I guarantee there was some scout in the stands drooling watching that, knowing the kid has spent barely any time playing the position.

Couldn't agree more! He has the natural instincts for the position. He turned his head back to the qb when the wr turned his head. There's guys who have played the position their whole lives who can't seam to figure that out.