New Triple Option formation

Enhance

This formation does not seem that hard to defend and is probably the reason they run it more when the defense is tired. Pre snap it is confusing and the defender would need to realize how many possible outcomes. However once the ball is snapped they just have to find the direction, once that is determined it becomes only an option between hand off or keep. Realitstically only the QB or one RB could get the ball. In this case as soon as the ball is snapped Abdullah is no longer an option for a run play. The lb can leave him for a safety. If it is not a quick pitch to Burkhead he is out of the play, if it would be a quick pitch the numbers favor the defense (although I could see Burkhead throwing out of this formation). So the option is only keep or give to Green. On this play Yoshi was down field quick so the pass option was eliminated. The D end needed to step up and take on Long, and disrupts the play. A fresh defense flowing to the ball shuts this down, a tired defense craps themselves and watches the the play develop. By that time the wall and numbers are set and the offense wins. Beck used it perfect on Saturday. Overall it was just phone to see some option football. It truly is the best football to watch when it works, and is the reason I am a Husker fan.

I would disagree. You are right that Abdullah is no longer a run threat, but it is not hard for Beck to turn this into a wheel route & have Martinez fake the option & drop back. If the defense creeps up to play the other RB's & Martinez. It should be pretty open pass to him. Also if you get the safety to bite, you can put 6 on the board, because there are not many players who could catch Abdullah from behind.

That's similar to what I'm thinking.

Since the diamond's a run-first formation, they'd more than likely be facing a base defense, so you only have 4 defensive backs to worry about. If you send your WRs on decoy routes the CBs have to cover them, and the LBs and SS will more than likely be committed to stopping whoever would wind up with the ball on the zone read. The FS would be the biggest concern, but if you have the package set up to give you several options (including the zone read itself of course) you can at least make the FS indecisive about whether to stay back and watch for the screen or come up and give run support. Even if he does stay back, as long as he doesn't actively pursue the screen, it at least gives you a little time to pick up short yardage off of it.

Have no idea why we saved this formation until the 2nd half of this game. We practiced this heavy all summer because of the complete mismatches it gives us with guys like Green, Burkhead, and Abdullah all being great receivers as well. The run/pass options out of this formation are almost endless because of our RBs pass catching abilities.

It was funny on Enunwa's TD. Aaron Green ran a wheel route down the sideline and no one was in the same area code as him. Aaron threw up his hands wanting the ball, and then got angry when he saw it was going to Enunwa. He got over it pretty quickly when he saw Enunwa catch it and go into the end zone.

Definitely love this formation, and TCU's success with it last season was a big push in us using it. TCU drove teams absolutely mad trying to cover this last year with the playmakers they had.

Maybe Beck didn't want to give the tOSU DC time to talk the formation over with his players during halftime. Much harder to adjust to something new on the sideline than in the locker room.

With MSU and PSU having stout defenses, we might be saving a few wrinkles for those games. Not saying that's likely or I agree with it, but that has seemed to be the plan to this point.

I've loved reading this thread, and we really need more threads like this. I'd just like to throw in that Beck is making the offense fun again, and he has a lot of potential to be an outstanding OC for us. Awesome discussion guys!

My favorite thing about Beck is that he admits his mistakes, and is honest when answering questions about it. He's a stand up guy, and in a few years, when his gameplan/management/discipline matures, he will be one deadly coach.

I've loved reading this thread, and we really need more threads like this. I'd just like to throw in that Beck is making the offense fun again, and he has a lot of potential to be an outstanding OC for us. Awesome discussion guys!

My favorite thing about Beck is that he admits his mistakes, and is honest when answering questions about it. He's a stand up guy, and in a few years, when his gameplan/management/discipline matures, he will be one deadly coach.

I only wish that if/when he gets there that we could hold on to him for decades. But in this day and age a coach/coordinator that sticks around after years of success is few and far between.

I only wish that if/when he gets there that we could hold on to him for decades. But in this day and age a coach/coordinator that sticks around after years of success is few and far between.

Maybe he'll groom one of the position coaches to take his place. Someone like, I dunno... Barney Cotton!

:corndance

Maybe he'll groom one of the position coaches to take his place. Someone like, I dunno... Barney Cotton!

:corndance

About that... Nothing against Barney, but that doesn't seem to work out that well very often either.

I love how Beck is seemingly making offense sexy again at NU. Compared to almost the last decade where it's been a migraine.

And to think people were up in arms about Beck last week and throughout the OSU game prior to the comeback.

Beck called a far better game vs OSU than Wisconsin. That's all.

This formation does not seem that hard to defend and is probably the reason they run it more when the defense is tired. Pre snap it is confusing and the defender would need to realize how many possible outcomes. However once the ball is snapped they just have to find the direction, once that is determined it becomes only an option between hand off or keep. Realitstically only the QB or one RB could get the ball. In this case as soon as the ball is snapped Abdullah is no longer an option for a run play. The lb can leave him for a safety. If it is not a quick pitch to Burkhead he is out of the play, if it would be a quick pitch the numbers favor the defense (although I could see Burkhead throwing out of this formation). So the option is only keep or give to Green. On this play Yoshi was down field quick so the pass option was eliminated. The D end needed to step up and take on Long, and disrupts the play. A fresh defense flowing to the ball shuts this down, a tired defense craps themselves and watches the the play develop. By that time the wall and numbers are set and the offense wins. Beck used it perfect on Saturday. Overall it was just phone to see some option football. It truly is the best football to watch when it works, and is the reason I am a Husker fan.

I would disagree. You are right that Abdullah is no longer a run threat, but it is not hard for Beck to turn this into a wheel route & have Martinez fake the option & drop back. If the defense creeps up to play the other RB's & Martinez. It should be pretty open pass to him. Also if you get the safety to bite, you can put 6 on the board, because there are not many players who could catch Abdullah from behind.

I agree with you. I meant in the actual pictures the pass threat was quickly eliminated due to Yoshi going 2nd level right off the snap. I am not a good communicator via written word.

I agree with you. I meant in the actual pictures the pass threat was quickly eliminated due to Yoshi going 2nd level right off the snap. I am not a good communicator via written word.

Ahh. To me this formation would be very difficult to defend if you can show you can complete a pass out of it. Kinda sounds like our whole offense.