Barfknecht: Peevish postgame does NU no favors

Come on Lee, I thought you were better than that.

Nothing I've read in his umpteen years at the Weird Harold leads me to agree with this statement.

I just expected better from a guy who has been writing for about as long as I have been alive. I never really had an opinion on Lee, but now I do. He's a blow-hard, "look-at-me" kind of writer.

Come on Lee, I thought you were better than that.

Nothing I've read in his umpteen years at the Weird Harold leads me to agree with this statement.

I just expected better from a guy who has been writing for about as long as I have been alive. I never really had an opinion on Lee, but now I do. He's a blow-hard, "look-at-me" kind of writer.

Absolutely agree. If Barfknecht and Chatelain had half the guts they expect Martinez to have we're not having this "Oh, Boo-Hoo Bo is such a meanie to poor Dirk Chatelian" conversation, and Barf wouldn't have had to run crying to Dirk's defense.

It sickens me that we expect less from grown adults than we expect from college students.

But Bo didn't go full retard, again, the press was being pretty invasive and malicious in what they were writing. I would be pretty pissed too if I had been asked constant questions about Taylor this and Taylor that instead of Rex this or David that. When the media starts focusing on one guy, it becomes clear that they have an agenda. And even AFTER the win, AFTER Taylor played a very solid game, Bo was still asked questions about him.

Wait . . . what? When the media focuses on one guy . . . WHO HAPPENS TO BE THE STARTING QUARTERBACK AT NEBRASKA . . . they have an agenda?

Good lord. Everyone is out to get us.

When the media focuses on one guy, I don't care if he's the starting QB, the starting RB, or the starting gat damn LEFT TACKLE; it's still blatantly obvious they have an agenda. I'm not claiming the world is out to get us...just trying to objective in what I say.

How many articles in the Omaha World Herald did you read this past week about Rex Burkhead or Levante David or Jared Crick? How many articles did you read about Bo and Taylor? I'd probably say that for the past week, the ratio of Bo and Taylor articles to Burkhead and others articles was probably something like 4:1.

Compare that to how many articles you read in the LJS about Bo and Taylor versus articles in the LJS about Burkhead and others. I'd hazard a guess that it's significantly lower--something like 2:1 or even 1.5:1.

One paper clearly focusing on two aspects of the program instead of the many other players who have kept us together [or have been equally vital in pulling us apart] much more than another shows an agenda.

• Fire 1

If your friend is so offended by someone saying "f'tard" on the internet that he wants to have a physical or verbal altercation with them then he should re-evaluate his life. Perhaps that time would be better spent with that daughter of his.

I find that those who use the words "tard" or "retard" to be frankly with out a clue. Find another word to use guys and grow up!

It's a movie quote. Not from a particularly good movie . . . but I thought I'd clue you in if you were a bit confused.

And not a very good quote. I once saw a movie where a character yelled "F*** You!". Should I use that for every post or person I disagree with?

A friend of mine has a kid who's autistic and apparently is a target of some name calling. We were talking over beers once and he commented about a poster on a board we both followed who called a lot of people "tard" or "f'tard". He said if he ever met that person they were going to have some words, and if that didn't straighten things out, it was going to get worse. It put a different perspective on it for me.

Listen to this, and I hope [although I rarely expect this] the OWH reporters by the names of Barfy and Douche [you know who the douche is]: All week, scratch that, all year you hammer on Taylor and Bo for not playing well and for making imperfect coaching decisions, respectively. Maybe you motivated them, if anything you at least pissed them off, but for 5 weeks of the season they keep quiet; they don't do anything to get back. And so you keep on keepin' on about how Taylor sucks or how he should be benched or how Bo should be fired for losing to Wisconsin [really?]

Then you get to Taylor, you DIRECTLY influence our QBs ability to focus on what should be important to you and everybody who supports Husker football, winning. He cracks during the post-game Wisconsin interview. Was it really fair to expect a 20-21 year old to mentally endure 16 weeks of scrutiny without cracking? Hell, I'm shocked he didn't crack before then. Anyways, instead of focusing on what the defense did wrong [i mean, they allowed half a hundred], you instead write about how, "Taylor was being a meany-poopoo-head" [even though you were the ones who contributed DIRECTLY to his behavior] All week long, he endures all time high criticisms, from people who don't even know the game of football but read from your garbage that "Taylor sucks at QB, and sucks at being a human being".

What does he do? He responds. Down 21 points to a top 15 defense, Taylor took the game over and was CRUCIAL in scoring 28 unanswered points which won us the football game and set a school record. Good for him, I couldn't be happier for him. WE 4 3!

But douche, rather than talk about how the offensive line, or the defense, or Rex, or the WRs stepped up [after all, this is a TEAM game] you threw absurd question after absurd question about Taylor to Bo. And you know the guy, I mean, you've covered him for what, 4 years now? You know that if you ask him dumb questions, he's going to give you a dumb response. So instead of praising the team, you criticize Bo [and you do it hiding behind Barfy] going, "WAHHHH! Bo didn't answer my stupid questions like I wanted him to, WAHHHHH!" I'm going to get back at him by writing a scathing article which serves to only break focus from the team more.

Write about the teams faults in a more constructive manner, instead of just saying they're terrible and won't win Nebraska football games, and you'll earn more respect. Write about the positive things to come out of the games/or write about the improvements needed constructively, and you'll earn more respect. Write about what the team does or could do better in a constructive manner, and you'll earn more respect. Writing articles just to get hits is a very cheap and disrespectful way of writing, and it makes you look like jackasses.

**I'll step off my soap box now** dedhoarse

• Fire 3

If your friend is so offended by someone saying "f'tard" on the internet that he wants to have a physical or verbal altercation with them then he should re-evaluate his life. Perhaps that time would be better spent with that daughter of his.

I find that those who use the words "tard" or "retard" to be frankly with out a clue. Find another word to use guys and grow up!

It's a movie quote. Not from a particularly good movie . . . but I thought I'd clue you in if you were a bit confused.

And not a very good quote. I once saw a movie where a character yelled "F*** You!". Should I use that for every post or person I disagree with?

A friend of mine has a kid who's autistic and apparently is a target of some name calling. We were talking over beers once and he commented about a poster on a board we both followed who called a lot of people "tard" or "f'tard". He said if he ever met that person they were going to have some words, and if that didn't straighten things out, it was going to get worse. It put a different perspective on it for me.

While I would don't often say the word myself, which is a matter of personal perspective [i find the word reprehensible in most contexts], your friend is no better than the guy saying the word.

But Bo didn't go full retard, again, the press was being pretty invasive and malicious in what they were writing. I would be pretty pissed too if I had been asked constant questions about Taylor this and Taylor that instead of Rex this or David that. When the media starts focusing on one guy, it becomes clear that they have an agenda. And even AFTER the win, AFTER Taylor played a very solid game, Bo was still asked questions about him.

Wait . . . what? When the media focuses on one guy . . . WHO HAPPENS TO BE THE STARTING QUARTERBACK AT NEBRASKA . . . they have an agenda?

Good lord. Everyone is out to get us.

When the media focuses on one guy, I don't care if he's the starting QB, the starting RB, or the starting gat damn LEFT TACKLE; it's still blatantly obvious they have an agenda. I'm not claiming the world is out to get us...just trying to objective in what I say.

How many articles in the Omaha World Herald did you read this past week about Rex Burkhead or Levante David or Jared Crick? How many articles did you read about Bo and Taylor? I'd probably say that for the past week, the ratio of Bo and Taylor articles to Burkhead and others articles was probably something like 4:1.

Compare that to how many articles you read in the LJS about Bo and Taylor versus articles in the LJS about Burkhead and others. I'd hazard a guess that it's significantly lower--something like 2:1 or even 1.5:1.

One paper clearly focusing on two aspects of the program instead of the many other players who have kept us together [or have been equally vital in pulling us apart] much more than another shows an agenda.

Very well said. Gave it a plus one, but that says it about as succinctly as I could have even thought about it. Shatel and McKewon take a reasoned approach, and I greatly appreciate that. I think Sam is one of the best reporters and analysts I've seen, and he doesn't insert himself into any controversies that I remember. Barfknecht has always been take or leave for me... and he can definitely be left after this abyssmal piece of junk. Never have liked Dirk's attitude and the way he makes his views so negative, he inserts himself as the story. As I said elsewhere, he had the VERY nice piece on Brown and Ameer, but one good story doesn't begin to make up for the ton of pure crud he's put out over the years.

But douche, rather than talk about how the offensive line, or the defense, or Rex, or the WRs stepped up [after all, this is a TEAM game] you threw absurd question after absurd question about Taylor to Bo. And you know the guy, I mean, you've covered him for what, 4 years now? You know that if you ask him dumb questions, he's going to give you a dumb response. So instead of praising the team, you criticize Bo [and you do it hiding behind Barfy] going, "WAHHHH! Bo didn't answer my stupid questions like I wanted him to, WAHHHHH!" I'm going to get back at him by writing a scathing article which serves to only break focus from the team more.

That's probably the worst of what Dork did over the weekend. The article was crap, but not horribly so. He knew before the game that it had pissed Bo off. So when the post-game presser comes, he doesn't ask a question like the rest of the schmoes in the press corps, he peppers Bo with what? Seven questions in about 30 seconds? zoogies made a transcript of it, so if anyone wants to go read that and correct me on the number, go ahead.

Problem was, Dork knew that Bo was ripped at him, knew from the answer to the first question that it wasn't going to go well, so rather than be a man, take his lumps and shut his yap, he goes on and on and on with the inanity. Then, after that prodding (that no other reporter has done, because it's unprofessional), Bo finally tells him to shut his pie hole.

And people want to say Bo Pelini is the bad guy there. :facepalm:

Writers of the Herald are on a total defensive right now. Someone with a name has finally called them out on their negative-based reporting and they now have to find a way to right their wrongs, and it seems theyre gonna do it by digging the hole deeper. Bo was fine with ALL the other reporters and their legitimate questions. Chatlain was already on the poop list and then he continued to hammer the same ole dead horse. Bo said it perfect, let's answer a question worth answering.

The use of these words demontrates the same metality that shows up on the Shick and Nick show. I am just saying I had a sister who was developmentally delayed these words are offensive to some poeple and if you cannot find words that are more descriptive of what your trying to say then maybe you should not be writing in the public domaine.

Writers of the Herald are on a total defensive right now. Someone with a name has finally called them out on their negative-based reporting and they now have to find a way to right their wrongs, and it seems theyre gonna do it by digging the hole deeper. Bo was fine with ALL the other reporters and their legitimate questions. Chatlain was already on the poop list and then he continued to hammer the same ole dead horse. Bo said it perfect, let's answer a question worth answering.

It must've been me :D

Maybe

This has nothing to do with the thread, but I'm offering this up for your sake - don't get upset about the word retard. It's a commonplace term in society despite it being wildly offensive. There's no way you can stop its use.

If you're offended by it, then don't spend your time on social mediums. I don't use the word, but thousands of people do. A personal vendetta does nothing.

Couldn't disagree more. Fight the good fight! People need to consider their language use more.

No we really don't, there seem to be plenty of prissy people willing to waste their time considering other people's language, all to happy to hijack discussions because they are offended for someone else.

Disagree. For all you know, members on this board have family members or friends with kids who are mentally challenged. Consider how you would react if someone used the word "retard" and your son or daughter was in fact "retarded".

If my child had a mental disability and someone used the word retard, it wouldn't change anything. If people on this board do in fact have children with mental disabilities, and they are offended by such common uses of the English language, they should probably re-evaluate what's important in their life.

I'm in no way, shape or form condoning the use of the word. I used to say it all the time when I was younger, and I try my best to refrain from using it now. I agree that it is a distasteful word, but that doesn't change the fact that it's used just as much as calling something "gay". My uncle has cerebral palsy, an uncoordinated walk and a speech impediment. You don't see me trying to vindicate him by eradicating the word retard. It's here, people will use it. Find more important things to worry about it.

With that said, I won't derail the thread further. Onward and forward with the Barf hate.

• Fire 1

While I would don't often say the word myself, which is a matter of personal perspective [i find the word reprehensible in most contexts], your friend is no better than the guy saying the word.

1) Maybe neither of you have kids, and don't know what it's like to see your kid get picked on like that, and then see some immature punk using the same language.

2) What I didn't mention is that the poster on that board was basically a troll who's main purpose was to get under people's skin, and he would directly call other posters that name, not just 3rd parties.

3) My friend did stop wasting time on that board. And I can guarantee he doesn't need parenting tips from you.

4) If you people see nothing wrong with the word, know that there are others on the board who will think you have the maturity of an 11 year old playground bully for using it, and will regard pretty much all of your posts in that light.

Back to the original topic, I can't believe anyone is surprised at Barfnecht. I don't read him that often, but he's never seemed to like much about the program. There may have been some specs of merit in his column, but when I read his columns I figure it's the point of view of an enemy, and one who writes with a heavy bias.

That's probably the worst of what Dork did over the weekend. The article was crap, but not horribly so. He knew before the game that it had pissed Bo off. So when the post-game presser comes, he doesn't ask a question like the rest of the schmoes in the press corps, he peppers Bo with what? Seven questions in about 30 seconds? zoogies made a transcript of it, so if anyone wants to go read that and correct me on the number, go ahead.

Absurd questions like "Hey Bo, what impressed you the most about Taylor tonight?" which is what he opened up with. Bo responded, "You watched the game. You figure it out, huh? What do you think?" They got into it a bit after that and neither comes out looking the better for it.

• Fire 1

Absurd questions like "Hey Bo, what impressed you the most about Taylor tonight?" which is what he opened up with. Bo responded, "You watched the game. You figure it out, huh? What do you think?" They got into it a bit after that and neither comes out looking the better for it.

I think you're quoting the wrong guy. I didn't say Dirk's question was absurd.

Agree that neither guy looked good after that. It should have been handled privately, with a civil discussion. But Bo is who Bo is.