Occupy Wall Street

Los Angeles takes a shot at corporate personhood:

Now THIS is how you go about making change in the country. I'll give them credit. Keep this up and they will create change. Start at the local level. Work your way up to the state and eventually to Washington. It sure beats living in a park, beating drums all day for weeks on end until you get kicked out because of the poor sanitary conditions or trying to get the cops to pepper spray you so you can become some kind of pepper spray martyr.

Now THIS is how you go about making change in the country. I'll give them credit. Keep this up and they will create change. Start at the local level. Work your way up to the state and eventually to Washington. It sure beats living in a park, beating drums all day for weeks on end until you get kicked out because of the poor sanitary conditions or trying to get the cops to pepper spray you so you can become some kind of pepper spray martyr.

Popular demonstrations like OWS let the politicians know how strongly their backing for change/reform is.

Popular demonstrations like OWS let the politicians know how strongly their backing for change/reform is.

If these were popular demonstrations, I would agree, but that is far from reality.

No, what I am doing is trying to figure out how you know the police are looking to escalate the situation. If you have some news I am happy to hear it. I assume the police are professionals and behave as such and if they do not they should be held accuontable. I do not assume the OWS are looking to escalate things but maybe I should start to assume that given the violence so far. :hmmph

Really?

And yea, cops rolling through at 2AM, kicking out the media, and causing ruckus is totally the protestors escalating things.

Those are not good examples. The cops do not want to escalate the situation, they were just frustrated by the students not complying with their orders. Anyone who is a parent knows tht when you get frustrated you do things you normally don't. Sometimes people do things that they regret but they do not try to escalate a situation with their children.

I think OWS has sympathizers and they will use any incident to further their cause. :ahhhhhhhh

I assume the police are professionals and behave as such and if they do not they should be held accuontable.

The cops do not want to escalate the situation, they were just frustrated by the students not complying with their orders.

Could you please reconcile these two quotes, johnnyrodgers20? They are 6 days apart. Did you change your mind? Do you think it is a professional act to unwillingly escalate a situation just because of frustration?

I'm just curious, I suppose.

If these were popular demonstrations, I would agree, but that is far from reality.

Just curious... why do you consider the Occupy demonstrations to not be "popular"?

And can you name any demonstrations at any point in US history that met your criteria for "popular"?

Just curious... why do you consider the Occupy demonstrations to not be "popular"?

And can you name any demonstrations at any point in US history that met your criteria for "popular"?

Hundreds of protesters in a city of millions is not "popular". Dozens of protesters in a city of hundreds of thousands is not "popular". Four guys in a tent in Lincoln is not "popular". Pick any protest or political gathering on a national level you would like and odds are they blow the OWS numbers away, that's just reality. Million man march, Glenn Beck and his Tea Partiers, heck all the anti-abortion chains of life deals, they get more supports in a day then the OWS has had combined in every city since it has started. Odds are there are things we don't even hear about on national news (local protests, union protests, etc.) that far outdo OWS. If Russia can get 30-50K to protest Putin why the heck couldn't OWS do that in NYC in a day? Because it's not popular but if you think it is, then it is terribly organized.

I assume the police are professionals and behave as such and if they do not they should be held accuontable.

The cops do not want to escalate the situation, they were just frustrated by the students not complying with their orders.

Could you please reconcile these two quotes, johnnyrodgers20? They are 6 days apart. Did you change your mind? Do you think it is a professional act to unwillingly escalate a situation just because of frustration?

They are both compatable. They are professional and should be held accountable for their actions. That didn't change in the second sentence. I was just trying to explain that even professionals lose their patience and act inapprporiately. You see it every day with teachers and politicians and other professionals. The police are just more high profile because the crowd has camera phones and know the students are not complying with the police. :hmmph

They are both compatable. They are professional and should be held accountable for their actions. That didn't change in the second sentence. I was just trying to explain that even professionals lose their patience and act inapprporiately. You see it every day with teachers and politicians and other professionals. The police are just more high profile because the crowd has camera phones and know the students are not complying with the police. :hmmph

I guess we disagree. I think separating your emotions from your work is part of professionalism.

I don't know that politicians or teachers fall into the category of professionals. (Nothing against either job. My family is full of teachers.)

I guess we disagree. I think separating your emotions from your work is part of professionalism.

I don't know that politicians or teachers fall into the category of professionals. (Nothing against either job. My family is full of teachers.)

Fair enough I don't care how you categorize teachers and politicians, the point is there are certain people who are in a profession who respond inappropriately. We do not disagree as far as separating your emotions, that is a fair assessment, that particular officer did not do a good job. And as I said he should be held accountable. And no one wants to escalate the situation, the definition of the word frustration is exactly what happened to that officer. I am sure you have been frustrated and done something you have regretted, once you became calm you realized you acted inappropriately. Looking back, I am sure the officer wished he could change the actions that he took, but in the heat of the moment when emotions are running high, he did not do the right thing. eyeswear2allthatsholy

Hundreds of protesters in a city of millions is not "popular". Dozens of protesters in a city of hundreds of thousands is not "popular". Four guys in a tent in Lincoln is not "popular". Pick any protest or political gathering on a national level you would like and odds are they blow the OWS numbers away, that's just reality. Million man march, Glenn Beck and his Tea Partiers, heck all the anti-abortion chains of life deals, they get more supports in a day then the OWS has had combined in every city since it has started. Odds are there are things we don't even hear about on national news (local protests, union protests, etc.) that far outdo OWS. If Russia can get 30-50K to protest Putin why the heck couldn't OWS do that in NYC in a day? Because it's not popular but if you think it is, then it is terribly organized.

How many popular demonstrations have had the wide spread and long term appeal that OWS has had?

Some demonstrations get alot of people to show up once, in one city. OWS has been going strong in hundreds of cities over a few months.

People like me can't demonstarte, but I do send money and supplies to organizers.

Those are not good examples. The cops do not want to escalate the situation, they were just frustrated by the students not complying with their orders. Anyone who is a parent knows tht when you get frustrated you do things you normally don't. Sometimes people do things that they regret but they do not try to escalate a situation with their children.

I think OWS has sympathizers and they will use any incident to further their cause. :ahhhhhhhh

The cops don't want to escalate the situation, but they do anyway? Saying they peppersprayed the students because they were frustrated is a cop out. These are professionals. If we're not going to hold them to higher standards, then what the f#*k are we doing?

And how is rolling through the park at 2 AM "frustration"? Looks like pre-planned event, to me.

The cops don't want to escalate the situation, but they do anyway? Saying they peppersprayed the students because they were frustrated is a cop out. These are professionals. If we're not going to hold them to higher standards, then what the f#*k are we doing?

And how is rolling through the park at 2 AM "frustration"? Looks like pre-planned event, to me.

Do you blindly rant or do you absorb what you read. I have said at least three times in this thread that the cop who shot the pepper spray should be held accountable. How many times does one have to write something before you realize that it was said and you comprehend it. I will say it one more time, THE COP THAT PEPPER SPRAYED THE STUDENTS SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

The 2 am one was preplanned IMO, that would seem be the best time to clear the area with least resistance. I would think you would like that because with less people in the area there is less chance of someone getting injured. :thumbs

How many popular demonstrations have had the wide spread and long term appeal that OWS has had?

Some demonstrations get alot of people to show up once, in one city. OWS has been going strong in hundreds of cities over a few months.

People like me can't demonstarte, but I do send money and supplies to organizers.

As I mentioned in the previous post, you could count all the people from all the cities every day and it still wouldn't add up to what these other demonstrations get in a single event. OWS is insignificant when it comes to numbers. They do on the other hand get a very significant amount of media coverage. Unfortunately it has nothing to do about what they are for but instead what is going on at the protests either them vs the cops or the terrible conditions they create. This is why I gave them props for what they are doing in LA because that actually leads to change in the country. I would take a guess that OWS had more support in the beginning from your average citizen then they do now after all the negative press they have been given from their actions.