Occupy Wall Street

Dr. Sowell's position............

http://outraged-comm...ccupy-wall.html

It appears that you have been duped. Dr. Sowell apparently did not write that . . . rather it has just been copied and pasted from one conservative blog to another and attributed to him.

People should really research these things before regurgitating nonsense.

"apparently" meaning just what..................??

If I have been duped, please show where, rather than a ubiquitous modifier that tells me nothing.......

AND, just for the sake of your argument..............even if he didn't write the piece......................whoever did has an especially articulate propensity for making his argument.

It appears that you have been duped. Dr. Sowell apparently did not write that . . . rather it has just been copied and pasted from one conservative blog to another and attributed to him.

Interesting advice considering the source.

If I have been duped, please show where, rather than a ubiquitous modifier that tells me nothing.......

AND, just for the sake of your argument..............even if he didn't write the piece......................whoever did has an especially articulate propensity for making his argument.

"Apparently" meaning that Sowell didn't publish this piece. I haven't actually been able to ask him personally . . . hence . . . apparently.

Like most right-wing chain emails (or left-wing I suppose . . . but my family never sends me those!) it's hard to attribute it to an actual source until it shows up on Snopes or a similar website.

Edit: Well, this is timely. Again, your sincerest apologies are accepted in advance.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/ows.asp

Interesting advice considering the source.

Examples please.

Edit: Well wouldn't you know it . . . apologies accepted.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/ows.asp

Bagram.jpg

These signs are amusing but they indicate a lack of understanding of basic mathematics.

When you have 11 million more job seekers than available jobs . . . they can't just "get back to work."

Reality applies to everyone . . . including those in uniform.

7-Jobs_JOLTS-ratio_without_titles.png

There are jobs to be had. You may not like it, but there is work out there. It may not be what you went to college for, but if you have to put a roof over your head and food on your plate, then you have to work. It sucks and it may not be what you wanted to do, so suck it up.

"Apparently" meaning that Sowell didn't publish this piece. I haven't actually been able to ask him personally . . . hence . . . apparently.

Like most right-wing chain emails (or left-wing I suppose . . . but my family never sends me those!) it's hard to attribute it to an actual source until it shows up on Snopes or a similar website.

Edit: Well, this is timely. Again, your sincerest apologies are accepted in advance.

http://www.snopes.co...soapbox/ows.asp

Well, I asked for clarification and you provided some, so I will grant you that. (although many have suspicions about the impartiality of snoops)

I don't know if "apology" is the correct terminology since I didn't accuse you of anything other than to ASK for clarity.

At any rate, your rather terse suggestion that folks should research these things before regurgitating them begs the question. If one reads several on line assertions that "appear" authentic (and seem to fit the philosophy) of the supposed author, what definitive research is required to validate authenticity (other than the aforementioned snoops). It would seem easy to "dupe" almost anything about anybody if someone is willing to go to the trouble to do it. Are you saying that in EVERY post you quote you have done exhaustive additional "research" to affirm veracity? If so, good for you.

As for me, I'll try to avoid getting duped (but must confess, it may happen)

The bottom line is that as I responded earlier..............WHOEVER put the piece together has made a fairly cogent argument for his position.

http://www.snopes.co...soapbox/ows.asp

Well, I asked for clarification and you provided some, so I will grant you that. (although many have suspicions about the impartiality of snoops)

I don't know if "apology" is the correct terminology since I didn't accuse you of anything other than to ASK for clarity.

At any rate, your rather terse suggestion that folks should research these things before regurgitating them begs the question. If one reads several on line assertions that "appear" authentic (and seem to fit the philosophy) of the supposed author, what definitive research is required to validate authenticity (other than the aforementioned snoops). It would seem easy to "dupe" almost anything about anybody if someone is willing to go to the trouble to do it. Are you saying that in EVERY post you quote you have done exhaustive additional "research" to affirm veracity? If so, good for you.

As for me, I'll try to avoid getting duped (but must confess, it may happen)

The bottom line is that as I responded earlier..............WHOEVER put the piece together has made a fairly cogent argument for his position.

Accepted. No hard feelings.

Bagram.jpg

These signs are amusing but they indicate a lack of understanding of basic mathematics.

When you have 11 million more job seekers than available jobs . . . they can't just "get back to work."

There are jobs to be had. You may not like it, but there is work out there. It may not be what you went to college for, but if you have to put a roof over your head and food on your plate, then you have to work. It sucks and it may not be what you wanted to do, so suck it up.

11 million more job seekers than jobs. Period.

What are those people supposed to do? A simple "there is nothing they can do until jobs are created" will suffice.

Edit: Adding sources if you would like to check it out yourself.

http://bls.gov/news..../pdf/empsit.pdf (Unemployment)

http://www.bls.gov/n...e/pdf/jolts.pdf (Job Openings)

Bagram.jpg

What are those people supposed to do? A simple "there is nothing they can do until jobs are created" will suffice.

Yeah, so you can't tell me that McD's isn't hiring? If you are hurting bad enough, you'll find a job.

And stop being such a hypocrite, if someone brings up a website, you call them an a-hole for lack of a better term. But if you bring one up, its the holy f'ing gospel.

And of anyone on this board, you're the case in point of "Next time before you get up on your high horse, make sure you don't stick your dick in the stirrup...."

Bagram.jpg

Yeah, so you can't tell me that McD's isn't hiring? If you are hurting bad enough, you'll find a job.

And stop being such a hypocrite, if someone brings up a website, you call them an a-hole for lack of a better term. But if you bring one up, its the holy f'ing gospel.

And of anyone on this board, you're the case in point of "Next time before you get up on your high horse, make sure you don't stick your dick in the stirrup...."

11 million more unemployed than job openings. This is basic math.

Tell me how those numbers will work.

Those numbers are straight from the Bureau of Labor. Are you complaining about my use of credible sources rather than my Uncle Eddie's email? Curious line of attack there.

Please. Explain your math to me. Here is my math (which also happens to be actual math) 14 million job seekers - 3 million available jobs = 11 million unemployed. Perhaps the McDonalds cashier can run that through his adding machine for you.

Those numbers are straight from the Bureau of Labor. Are you complaining about my use of credible sources rather than my Uncle Eddie's email? Curious line of attack there.

Please. Explain your math to me. Here is my math (which also happens to be actual math) 14 million job seekers - 3 million available jobs = 11 million unemployed. Perhaps the McDonalds cashier can run that through his adding machine for you.

I'm bothered first, because you believe everything Uncle Eddie feeds you.

Second of all, get over yourself. People outside of me, are tired of your political holier than thou bullsh#t. Please whip me out a pie chart for that.

Finally, do you actually look at some of these people that are part of the 11 million that "can't get a job"? They look the like 5th member of Soundgarden, and when interviewed, these coffee house dwelling misanthropes are about as articulate as damp rag. No wonder they couldn't get a job.

Also, this is America, you have to go out and bust your ass for anything you get. Nothing is ever handed to you, which is something you've apparently forgotten. I'll continue go on being part of the 1%, busting my ass at my job, while i've got pneumonia and a bruised rib, while watching these slovenly douchebags mope about instead of trying to make something out of their lives, waiting for a goddamn handout.....

• Fire 1

I'm bothered first, because you believe everything Uncle Eddie feeds you.

Second of all, get over yourself. People outside of me, are tired of your political holier than thou bullsh#t. Please whip me out a pie chart for that.

Finally, do you actually look at some of these people that are part of the 11 million that "can't get a job"? They look the like 5th member of Soundgarden, and when interviewed, these coffee house dwelling misanthropes are about as articulate as damp rag. No wonder they couldn't get a job.

Also, this is America, you have to go out and bust your ass for anything you get. Nothing is ever handed to you, which is something you've apparently forgotten. I'll continue go on being part of the 1%, busting my ass at my job, while i've got pneumonia and a bruised rib, while watching these slovenly douchebags mope about instead of trying to make something out of their lives, waiting for a goddamn handout.....

Keep up the emotions. That might help you ward off those pesky facts. There are 11 million more unemployed people than available jobs. I keep repeating that for you in the hopes that you will stop to think about what it means. It means that it is completely impossible for the majority of unemployed people in the US to get jobs.

It's not laziness. It's not looking for handouts.

It's reality. I would still welcome your explanation about how you would make the numbers work.

My damn high horse is getting bogged down with all of this reality.

• Fire 2

Exactly.

There are more unemployed than there are workers. There aren't jobs because people aren't hiring. They aren't hiring because it wouldn't be profitable to the businesses despite helping out the unemployed.

The whole, "get a job and quit being lazy", appeal is nice, but it doesn't stand up to the facts.