Osborne Praises Fans for their Role in Greatest Comeback

jsneb83

C'mon, sd'sker. Read my second paragraph you quoted. Where do you think I want the students to sit?

that's your response to my diatribe? i am disappoint.

It's my response because I don't truly believe that former students deserve preference to current students. I believe they should coexist with mutual respect, and that each has their place at the table. My responses have been only to one specific thing, money.

The funny thing about the Cameron Crazies...they have the best seats in the house, they have the MOST seats in the house AND...their tickets are free, and Duke basketball loses a lot of money because of it. How unheard of is that?

The argument that students deserve better treatment because of tuition is wrong - but the argument that they deserve better treatment because they give more to the school isn't. The value of the student body isn't measured in dollars, and can't be statically measured period, but it's a true statement to say that there is no team if there is no school and there is no school if there are no students.

Really disappointed I didn't read this thread a little bit earlier.

I'm going to comment on a couple of things, but I'm not going to go through and quote everything. A couple of these things have already been said, some may not have been, but if I'm reiterating it, it's probably somewhat important.

CN I believe said something about the student's money should only get them an education, nothing more. -- If that's all a student did was education, you would not have an athletic program to be sitting here talking about. Everyone would go to class, study, and pay their tuition bills. That's all.

As far as the Football program keeping the University going, BS. The football program does keep the athletic dept running healthy, but by no means does it support the entire university. While I know tuition doesn't come close to covering the costs of the University, it isn't the football program that does.

Parking is NOT covered by tuition and fees. Parking on campus runs from $378 $702 for a 9-month pass.

The whole T.O. needs to treat the students better comes from him moving the student section up into the corner, even further away than it was. It has nothing to do with entitlement. It has everything to do with comparison with other institutions.

Finally, as this point is made every time. This team represents the entire state and everyone that follows and supports the team. It isn't just for the students, it isn't just for the non-students. However, without the students, there would be no football team to support, and without the non-students, there would be no one there to support that football team.

this isn't the nfl. it's the students team, the team is representing the school. i know we like to think they represent the state, and they do, but first and foremost they represent the school and the students.

also, as far as much as you paid, then at that time you deserved the rights and privileges of the students, now it's their turn. why are you arguing to take it away from them? especially when tuition is so high anymore, i don't know when you went to school, but i doubt you even paid half what students pay today.

It's not ONLY the student's team. It's everyone's team. Tell me when you're ten years out of school that you'll suddenly care less about the team? Or that they won't represent you like they do today. Or that the Huskers don't represent this whole state, even the vast majority of folks who live here but never attended UNL. Maybe unique amongst college football teams (with the possible exception of Ntre Ame), Nebraska represents this whole state. It's bigger than just the enrollment at UNL. If it wasn't, they'd be Kansas.

Now, having said that, read above in this thread where I said that I think the students should be moved back to where they sat when I went to UNL, which was in the east stadium north of the band. So I am on your side in that argument.

I'm just skewering the notion that the students are owed more because they're students today. Today's students haven't done as much for this university as yesterday's students. It's a simple matter of economics. I've given more to UNL than any student today, so if we're using the argument that students "pay thousands of dollars" then I've paid more thousands, and that argument is invalid. That's all I'm saying there.

Economics is one way to look at it, but atmosphere is another. The college atmosphere is supposed to be about today's students. Imagine Duke basketball without the Cameron Crazies, or Wisconsin's football atmosphere without their student section. I don't think that students are entitled to anything, but it's about having the student section be as significant to the atmosphere as the marching band. That's what a college atmosphere is like at its best.

I'm sure I'll get BBQ'd for this, but how about move the band up and put the students where the band is. I'm sorry, but I don't think we really need the band that much during the game. Half the time they're playing when they probably shouldn't be. Anyways, just another option. :ahhhhhhhh

this isn't the nfl. it's the students team, the team is representing the school. i know we like to think they represent the state, and they do, but first and foremost they represent the school and the students.

also, as far as much as you paid, then at that time you deserved the rights and privileges of the students, now it's their turn. why are you arguing to take it away from them? especially when tuition is so high anymore, i don't know when you went to school, but i doubt you even paid half what students pay today.

It's not ONLY the student's team. It's everyone's team. Tell me when you're ten years out of school that you'll suddenly care less about the team? Or that they won't represent you like they do today. Or that the Huskers don't represent this whole state, even the vast majority of folks who live here but never attended UNL. Maybe unique amongst college football teams (with the possible exception of Ntre Ame), Nebraska represents this whole state. It's bigger than just the enrollment at UNL. If it wasn't, they'd be Kansas.

Now, having said that, read above in this thread where I said that I think the students should be moved back to where they sat when I went to UNL, which was in the east stadium north of the band. So I am on your side in that argument.

I'm just skewering the notion that the students are owed more because they're students today. Today's students haven't done as much for this university as yesterday's students. It's a simple matter of economics. I've given more to UNL than any student today, so if we're using the argument that students "pay thousands of dollars" then I've paid more thousands, and that argument is invalid. That's all I'm saying there.

Economics is one way to look at it, but atmosphere is another. The college atmosphere is supposed to be about today's students. Imagine Duke basketball without the Cameron Crazies, or Wisconsin's football atmosphere without their student section. I don't think that students are entitled to anything, but it's about having the student section be as significant to the atmosphere as the marching band. That's what a college atmosphere is like at its best.

I'm sure I'll get BBQ'd for this, but how about move the band up and put the students where the band is. I'm sorry, but I don't think we really need the band that much during the game. Half the time they're playing when they probably shouldn't be. Anyways, just another option. :ahhhhhhhh

While we are at it, why don't we just make our stadium like any NFL stadium!

Fail. Every time the band plays, it is carefully orchestrated (excuse the pun). Our band plays a lot less than most school's bands do. As for moving the band up, there's two reasons why that wouldn't work. First, the drum majors would have nowhere to stand and conduct. Second, the band needs to be in a place where they can move in and out of the stands quickly and efficiently.

• Fire 1

Fail. Every time the band plays, it is carefully orchestrated (excuse the pun). Our band plays a lot less than most school's bands do. As for moving the band up, there's two reasons why that wouldn't work. First, the drum majors would have nowhere to stand and conduct. Second, the band needs to be in a place where they can move in and out of the stands quickly and efficiently.

But come on, you guys really aren't that important, are you? :sarcasm

It's okay, I've been part of a band, people sometimes don't understand what they need.

Dear Dr. Tom,

We don't care what you have to say until you start treating us fairly.

Sincerely, the students that make it possible for you to have a school and team in the first place, and that you don't reward.

Sheezus, are you sobbing while writing this? If you don't like your spot, I know plenty of people who will take it for you.

The band is for old people. The older I get, the more I like the band. It's weird. It's like they use some kind of Jedi mind control on the weak-willed. And when I've just come into the stadium from the tailgate, and I've had waaaaay too many Elk Creeks, I am that weak-willed person.

(this response is honestly much more for C N Red than it is for knapplc).

Old people probably appreciate the band more, but the band is for everyone whether they know it or not. Students or younger people may like to make fun of the band or look down on it, but it's critical to making it a college atmosphere, the pregame show, the halftime show, and everything they do in the stands during the game are extremely important to the gameday atmosphere. If it wasn't there during the game, people would notice, young and old.