Why do female announcers always sound like men?

Moiraine

I just don't get it. What's the point in having a woman announcer if you can't tell she's a woman? Let someone with a normal female voice announce the game. I'm not saying I want to hear a valley girl accent, but what are the networks thinking with this? Do they think men would be put off by a womanly voice?

This occurs in every single sport. Even if it's volleyball or women's soccer. A woman doesn't have to have a manly voice to be smart or sound smart.

(I realize I'm going to get some silly replies :P. Just to pre-empt one of them, I'll go back to the kitchen now, but I'm going to use expired bologna and you will die)

• 10 months later...

I think a large part of the problem is that Pam Ward is who most of us are familiar with as a female announcer, and she is just bad. Its got nothing to do with her gender, play by play is just not her thing. Certainly not for football.

I would rather have a woman sound like a woman if she is announcing.

I'm with a lot of you in this thread. When I turn on the TV to watch a football game and there is a woman announcer, I'd rather just mute it. I hope Nebraska doesn't have a woman announcer for a game.

With that said, I think the problem with the issue is that the woman is doing the play-by-play. I wouldn't mind if a good male announcer did the play-by-play and a good woman announcer (for example, Michelle Beadle) provides input on the side, but that's not how it's done as far as I've seen.