What Taylor needs to improve upon...

:facepalm:

I really didn't intend for this thread to compare player abilities over a 20 year span. I just wanted to talk about Taylor's potential and improvement. I apologize HuskerBoard. I should have seen that one coming.

Taylor has the capability, no doubt in my mind. It's just time for him to take a leap forward.

I think he's "already" taken several leaps forward (did you watch the Fresno St game? Washington game? Ohio State game?) and there's an excellent chance that more will come. You don't see that?

Please tell me, just what does he have to do to finally "take a leap forward"?

GBR!!

Read my first post dude. It is what is keeping from from "Good" to "Great." He is halfway through his second year as a starting QB for us. I agree that he has shown improvement, but at some point, he needs to take another leap. All players do.

His running is actually starting to bother me more than his passing, as crazy as that sounds.

When it's a designed run and he's got a clear field - look out. But on option plays where the lanes aren't as obvious, or when he has to scramble a little bit, he stutter steps a lot and gets nowhere. He's like Crouch if Crouch didn't have the shifty moves.

Or the power, or the toughness, etc.

Basically, Taylor is not much like Crouch except that both are very fast.

Basically, J. Montana was not much like T. Brady except that both were good passers.

Except that there is a big difference between being fast and being a good runner of the football.

Crouch was miles ahead of Taylor in terms of running ability. Vision, power, physicality, ability to make a defender miss, etc. All Taylor has going for himself is speed. He shys away from contact, doesn't read lanes very well, has fumbling issues, the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Taylor supporter, but when it comes to running the football, he is not like Crouch (not even close).

That is exactly correct. However with many, presenting something like this is pointless. Even if you do support TM, if you point out the fact that there are deficencies you must be a TM hater and really want Carnes to play. While I admire the level of some's support, their refusal to acknowledge the weaknesses have me no longer posting anything that is not gushing accolades in regards to the QB, might as well go beat your head against the door rather than say anything that might be construed as critcal, regardless of if what you say has merit.

Lol! What a load.....

Tmart gets ripped apart by our own fans every single day on this forum. "Any" rumor is suffice to assassinate his character for the last full year and more. To pretend it's all or even a majority being objective analysis of his assets and liabilities on the field requires a firm and unshakable belief in the tooth-fairy.

I've never seen even one single poster here claim he was a great passer, doesn't make mistakes, doesn't fumble, etc, etc. Not one. "Nobody", despite your BS claim, denies his liabilities.

However, to some posters here and to our HC & OC he is still on balance a serious offensive threat. At the very least the best we have. The truly endlessly repeated harping on those liabilities simply gets old. That's all.

GBR!!

I didn't see anywhere is that post where his character was assissinated. Someone made a very objective comparrison between TM and Crouch, and you jumped in with the Montana/Brady line, which was in no way relevant. I've read ton's of very objective analysis of his game on here, and most of it lately has also given him credit for the way he has played in the last game and a half. Guess what, no one is denying the fact that he is a huge offensive threat, but you can also OBJECTIVELY discuss areas that need worked on. Again, this is why I've tried to stay out of the TM threads lately. You can't have a logical discussion about him anymore.

Geeesh.....

Like his liabilities "that need work on" haven't already been pounded into the ground 10,000 times a day on this forum? You have something new to say (yeah, I'll bet...)? By all means, be my guest!

GBR!!

Let me steal a line from Knapllc and remind you, bshirt, that this is an internet message board. The thread title very clearly indicates what will be discussed in this thread. You don't like it then don't read it and don't post in it.

Well, how about they actually post something OP related besides whines?

LOL, seriously man. Pot meet kettle.

You don't want people whining yet you yourself sit there and whine that no one has anything new to say regarding Taylor's liabilities?

I'm betting he takes that leap next year. And I'm betting he takes another leap the year after that.

But this could all be moot if Carnes gets his game together and adds a little weight. This time next year we could be talking about how with Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa, Jamal Turner and Taylor Martinez we have the fastest WR corps in the country.

The one thing I'd love to see Martinez improve on is his escapability from the pocket when it breaks down. Wilson gashed us when his pocket broke down. Martinez usually gets sacked when his pocket breaks down. With his speed, he should be able to gash defenses when the pocket breaks down.

Bingo. Even if he would just grab 5 yards or so. Keep us out of 3rd and long.

The one thing I'd love to see Martinez improve on is his escapability from the pocket when it breaks down. Wilson gashed us when his pocket broke down. Martinez usually gets sacked when his pocket breaks down. With his speed, he should be able to gash defenses when the pocket breaks down.

That's a good point. But answer this - do you think Taylor 2011 is as fast as Taylor 2010? I don't. I think he's clearly lost a step, and I wonder about that ankle. How many folks last year posted here that they'd had the same kind of "high ankle sprain" that Martinez had and it still bothered them years later? I vaguely remember several posts like that.

For evidence (and this could all be total BS), look at Taylor's run on the Option where Legate stayed with him all the way down the field - I think that was in the Fresno game? Look at Bell's reverse in the Minnesota game, and how easily Bell outstrips Martinez. Look at how many times he's been run down by defenders, including linebackers. With that elite 2010 speed he showed NOBODY caught him. Now we're seeing him get caught often.

Maybe that's all circumstantial and has more to do with teams focusing on him more than anything else, but while 2011 Taylor is fast, I just don't think he's recovered that high-end burst he used to have.

This is a great point. People say he's a duel threat, but really he hasn't achieved his potential of being a duel threat QB. He's gotten much better this year at scampering for first downs on some occasions when the pocket breaks down, but he still misses a lot of opportunities. Hopefully he can continue to grow in that area and really become a total headache for defenses. He's definitely improved though, as last year it was that deer in the headlights look and a sack.

I don't know whether he's as fast this year as last year, but I do believe he's as fast or faster than Wilson at Wisconsin. Wilson makes defenses pay when his pocket breaks down. Martinez typically takes a sack. I'm really beginning to wonder after watching Michigan State against Wisconsin if we really have the speed we claim to have? I realize we have blazing speed at the skill positions, but I don't think our DL has the speed that Michigan State has because their DL was able to catch Wilson while Wilson simply ran circles around ours. A lot of times when the pocket breaks down on Martinez, he just ducks his head and takes a hit. I think he has the ability to escape and make things happen.

I think it's still there. Not shot out of a cannon fast as in 2010 but still unreal. Mostly just not used as often is my guess. There's been a few plays where he made the defense look like they were wearing cement shoes again.

Not sure how much is lost on that really. I bet we'll find out for sure this week (should have the Wisconsin game but we've hashed over that enough).

GBR!!