What Taylor needs to improve upon...

Taylor played good at Minnesota last week and just some things I saw he needs to start correcting. I'm not calling for Brion or anything like that, just he has started a lot of games now and needs to improve some of his game.

Passing

1. He has to move his feet when he throws. It's causing a timing problem with the receivers. If he would step into a throw instead of his front foot parallel to the line of scrimmage, he wouldn't throw behind receivers nearly as often.

2. Still likes to stare down receivers. 90% of young QB's struggle with this, but it's time to start breaking the habit.

3. He has to be willing to scramble more often. He doesn't have the greatest O-Line in the world and can't sit back in the pocket all day.

Running

1. If your going to run, then run with authority. He still hesitates way too much and leaves a lot of yardage on the field. Twice against Minnesota he would have been in for a TD if he ran tougher.

2. Be careful with the pitch. I would much rather take a two yard loss then a fumble that results in a loss of 8 yards or a fumble.

3. Make moves in the open field. I've watched him run right into people way too many times. He's a good enough athlete to not have any moves.

• Fire 1

His running is actually starting to bother me more than his passing, as crazy as that sounds.

When it's a designed run and he's got a clear field - look out. But on option plays where the lanes aren't as obvious, or when he has to scramble a little bit, he stutter steps a lot and gets nowhere. He's like Crouch if Crouch didn't have the shifty moves.

His running is actually starting to bother me more than his passing, as crazy as that sounds.

When it's a designed run and he's got a clear field - look out. But on option plays where the lanes aren't as obvious, or when he has to scramble a little bit, he stutter steps a lot and gets nowhere. He's like Crouch if Crouch didn't have the shifty moves.

Or the power, or the toughness, etc.

Basically, Taylor is not much like Crouch except that both are very fast.

Basically, J. Montana was not much like T. Brady except that both were good passers.

I finally found the "phrase" that describes his throwing motion ... it's a "launch" ... however, it does not have a solid foundation upon which to project anything consistent. He telegraphs everything ... I can tell when he's gonna pass right when he gets the ball. These aren't complaints. It's comical to me. I don't think it will change, he wants to change or the coaches will make him change. It's a marriage that will stay together for three more seasons. :-)

Basically, J. Montana was not much like T. Brady except that both were good passers.

Except that there is a big difference between being fast and being a good runner of the football.

Crouch was miles ahead of Taylor in terms of running ability. Vision, power, physicality, ability to make a defender miss, etc. All Taylor has going for himself is speed. He shys away from contact, doesn't read lanes very well, has fumbling issues, the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Taylor supporter, but when it comes to running the football, he is not like Crouch (not even close).

Except that there is a big difference between being fast and being a good runner of the football.

Crouch was miles ahead of Taylor in terms of running ability. Vision, power, physicality, ability to make a defender miss, etc. All Taylor has going for himself is speed. He shys away from contact, doesn't read lanes very well, has fumbling issues, the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Taylor supporter, but when it comes to running the football, he is not like Crouch (not even close).

That is exactly correct. However with many, presenting something like this is pointless. Even if you do support TM, if you point out the fact that there are deficencies you must be a TM hater and really want Carnes to play. While I admire the level of some's support, their refusal to acknowledge the weaknesses have me no longer posting anything that is not gushing accolades in regards to the QB, might as well go beat your head against the door rather than say anything that might be construed as critcal, regardless of if what you say has merit.

That is exactly correct. However with many, presenting something like this is pointless. Even if you do support TM, if you point out the fact that there are deficencies you must be a TM hater and really want Carnes to play. While I admire the level of some's support, their refusal to acknowledge the weaknesses have me no longer posting anything that is not gushing accolades in regards to the QB, might as well go beat your head against the door rather than say anything that might be construed as critcal, regardless of if what you say has merit.

Lol! What a load.....

Tmart gets ripped apart by our own fans every single day on this forum. "Any" rumor is suffice to assassinate his character for the last full year and more. To pretend it's all or even a majority being objective analysis of his assets and liabilities on the field requires a firm and unshakable belief in the tooth-fairy.

I've never seen even one single poster here claim he was a great passer, doesn't make mistakes, doesn't fumble, etc, etc. Not one. "Nobody", despite your BS claim, denies his liabilities.

However, to some posters here and to our HC & OC he is still on balance a serious offensive threat. At the very least the best we have. The truly endlessly repeated harping on those liabilities simply gets old. That's all.

GBR!!

• Fire 1

Yes, there is. Burkhead is a good runner of the football. Kenny Bell is fast. Used properly, both can not only be effective, but make important contributions to the team.

And Mike Rozier was miles ahead of Crouch running the football. Rozier was better than Crouch by a greater degree than Crouch was better than Martinez. But somehow, both Crouch and Rozier seemed to have pretty successful careers.

It's funny that Crouch is used as a benchmark for Martinez. Crouch was Martinez when Martinez was still in third grade. Crouch was a superlative talent with public relations problems. He had awkward relations with his teammates, he had a weak passing game, but with the ball in his hand he could score from any point in the field.

The fans bitched about Crouch every week. He was a ball hog, he was a prima donna, he would NEVER pitch the ball, it was all about Crouch, me, me, me, me, me.... that's all you ever heard.

Fast-forward ten years and we're wishing Martinez was more like Crouch.

Time really does heal all wounds.

• Fire 2

In all fairness, Crouch had been running a option style offense since he was playing KWAA football. This is only Taylor's 3rd year playing QB. The coaching staff really needs to bring in someone to help get the QB's developed. Frost would have been a huge hire for this staff as a QB coach. Crouch or Frazier would also be a big help to have on staff. I also heard Turner may be looking for a job at the end of the season. I know they have Coach Osborne, but they need someone on the field at every practice. As for skills between Crouch & Martinez they are not close. Taylor is faster in a strait line race but, Crouch is better in every other facet of the game. Crouch would juke you one play & then lower his shoulder on the next & run you over.

• Fire 1

Yes, there is. Burkhead is a good runner of the football. Kenny Bell is fast. Used properly, both can not only be effective, but make important contributions to the team.

And Mike Rozier was miles ahead of Crouch running the football. Rozier was better than Crouch by a greater degree than Crouch was better than Martinez. But somehow, both Crouch and Rozier seemed to have pretty successful careers.

It's funny that Crouch is used as a benchmark for Martinez. Crouch was Martinez when Martinez was still in third grade. Crouch was a superlative talent with public relations problems. He had awkward relations with his teammates, he had a weak passing game, but with the ball in his hand he could score from any point in the field.

The fans bitched about Crouch every week. He was a ball hog, he was a prima donna, he would NEVER pitch the ball, it was all about Crouch, me, me, me, me, me.... that's all you ever heard.

Exactly!! 100% on the money.

Our fans indeed then, just like now, bitched, whined, sobbed & moaned until the Missouri river over-flowed about how "selfish", "bad passer", "no jukes", "not a leader", etc player he was.

Here we are a decade later and oh how things have changed. Crouch is now considered all-world and Tmart's only asset is being "fast" (even that grudgingly being given).

Haha....it's really something.

GBR!!

• Fire 1

Exactly!! 100% on the money.

Our fans indeed then, just like now, bitched, whined, sobbed & moaned until the Missouri river over-flowed about how "selfish", "bad passer", "no jukes", "not a leader", etc player he was.

Here we are a decade later and oh how things have changed. Crouch is now considered all-world and Tmart's only asset is being "fast" (even that grudgingly being given).

Haha....it's really something.

GBR!!

If I had any +1s left to give, I'd give you both one. Spot on!

Improve? Well, it would help if T-Mart could grow thicker skin. To insulate himself from the bitching and moaning of the greatest fans in the world.

"And Mike Rozier was miles ahead of Crouch running the football. Rozier was better than Crouch by a greater degree than Crouch was better than Martinez. But somehow, both Crouch and Rozier seemed to have pretty successful careers. "

Rozier & Crouch were both amazing in college. I would agree Rozier was better at running with the ball, but to say he was futher ahead then Crouch is to Martinez is way off base. Crouch was light years ahead of Martinez when he was a Jr at Millard North. The 1984 Husker team was full of offensive talent (Gill, Fryer, Rathman & Steinkuler). Can you name any other skilled postion player on the 2001 team besides Eric Crouch that made a impact?

If Crouch had the Offense we have today in 2001. We would have another Big 12 Championship & would have had a better showing vs Miami.