How has text messaging changed how we communicate?

Hey guys a thought popped into my head tonight.

It obviously regards texting and social interaction (specifically when dating or dealing with relationships). Now, I am 19, so this is clearly something that my generation is immersed in, but I understand not everyone likes this fad or uses it at all. But, for my generation at least and a lot of people anymore, texting is commonplace. I personally prefer calling, as it's just quicker and leads to less miscommunication IMO. However, I understand there are times when texting is more apropos.

How do you think this has affected the way this has changed how we do things regarding dating? I met this really cool girl, and don't want to annoy her by contacting her TOO much. I know a lot of guys use a 3 day rule when calling women. I can't decide if this is brilliant or idiocy. It's "if she likes you she'll want to hear from you" vs. "Don't be clingy and try to communicate too much." I do want to get to know her, but I don't want to seem too eager, and I really HATE how text messaging someone constantly can leave you with nothing to say to them when you're actually face to face. I hope the human race doesn't become socially retarded because of that.

Anyway, already asked her out and she said yes, so that is a good deal. I was just curious what the rest of you thought about this.

When I met my soon to be wife 4 years ago, all she did was text. It drove me nuts because it was something I never did and she was constantly blowing up my phone. So I guess if ya send a text and dont hear back within an hour its not good sign. ;)

As far society becoming socially retarded because of texting, I completely agree with you of because texting/emails sent to phones. I just recently looked at my phone usage for the month and I only used 76 minutes for the whole month and had like 800 or so texts. By the way I also use this phone for work. Even my bosses communicate by texting/email, I cant remember the last time I had a phone conversation with my actual boss.

It obviously regards texting and social interaction (specifically when dating or dealing with relationships). Now, I am 19, so this is clearly something that my generation is immersed in, but I understand not everyone likes this fad or uses it at all. But, for my generation at least and a lot of people anymore, texting is commonplace. I personally prefer calling, as it's just quicker and leads to less miscommunication IMO. However, I understand there are times when texting is more apropos.

How do you think this has affected the way this has changed how we do things regarding dating? I met this really cool girl, and don't want to annoy her by contacting her TOO much. I know a lot of guys use a 3 day rule when calling women. I can't decide if this is brilliant or idiocy. It's "if she likes you she'll want to hear from you" vs. "Don't be clingy and try to communicate too much." I do want to get to know her, but I don't want to seem too eager, and I really HATE how text messaging someone constantly can leave you with nothing to say to them when you're actually face to face. I hope the human race doesn't become socially retarded because of that.

Anyway, already asked her out and she said yes, so that is a good deal. I was just curious what the rest of you thought about this.

If you text her things that do not require an answer back but she still gets back to you, you are in good shape.

One thing though, texting to most girls is like crack, keep that in mind.

I think texting has actually made people more sociable. Has the quality of the content gone down due to texting? Probably. But, think about it: if it wasn't for texting, do you really think people would be communicating has often?

Quality, not quantity. Texting has made a generation of socially crippled kids; unable of expressing themselves accurately and fully in face-to-face situations. It's hard to let go of your emotion and be vulnerable to someone if your relationship is based on characters on a screen, and such a limited amount at that.

Secondly, there are numerous ways that we have been affected socially by texting and non-personal communication. For example, my friend Jon is like a brother to me, but is still very young and needs to mature a bit; he texts me all the time and if it's something important and I don't respond back within say...5 minutes, he sends it again, then sends something like "James..?" and then "Okay whatever nevermind" or something. It's absurd. I also find the idiocy of texting someone in "fast" situations astounding; if you show up at my house and are outside the door in the cold, you call to let me know, because you know instantly if I have received your communication. Furthermore, if you're in a big city and need directions to a place and text someone instead of calling, you're just dumb.

Texting and other non-personal communication have benefited society, but I don't think they've had nearly as positive an impact as a negative one.

• Fire 1

I'm not sure how many people are in the same situation but I have a normal landline as in days of yore. Why do people always call my cell phone when I am at home? And never call my home phone! I leave my cell phone in here by my computer and since I don't post like BRI it's obvious I am not near my computer every minute of the day :D They may leave a voice mail on my Cphone and I don't know it for several hours or more. I even leave home without my cell phone (i know it's hypocrisy). What to do? texting blah at least with voice communication you can decipher whether they are joking or are serious. :)

GBR

I use a pencil and paper for my texting needs :D j/k

GBR

ps good luck with your new found romance

Mega Quote.

Thanks for the well wishes man.

If you text her things that do not require an answer back but she still gets back to you, you are in good shape.

One thing though, texting to most girls is like crack, keep that in mind.

We've been texting quite a bit lately... Things are going well. Luckily I have unlimited, or this would probably end up getting as expensive as crack, eventually. :D

I think texting has actually made people more sociable. Has the quality of the content gone down due to texting? Probably. But, think about it: if it wasn't for texting, do you really think people would be communicating has often?

Quality, not quantity. Texting has made a generation of socially crippled kids; unable of expressing themselves accurately and fully in face-to-face situations. It's hard to let go of your emotion and be vulnerable to someone if your relationship is based on characters on a screen, and such a limited amount at that.

Secondly, there are numerous ways that we have been affected socially by texting and non-personal communication. For example, my friend Jon is like a brother to me, but is still very young and needs to mature a bit; he texts me all the time and if it's something important and I don't respond back within say...5 minutes, he sends it again, then sends something like "James..?" and then "Okay whatever nevermind" or something. It's absurd. I also find the idiocy of texting someone in "fast" situations astounding; if you show up at my house and are outside the door in the cold, you call to let me know, because you know instantly if I have received your communication. Furthermore, if you're in a big city and need directions to a place and text someone instead of calling, you're just dumb.

Texting and other non-personal communication have benefited society, but I don't think they've had nearly as positive an impact as a negative one.

This is my main fear when I think about how much we text as a society anymore. It really could socially retard our society, if we're so used to constant communication via electronics that we lose the ability to have quality conversations face to face. Eventually if the worse possibly scenario plays out, face to face communication way down the road may just end up being super awkward and forced.

That being said, that scenario is pretty far fetched and probably won't happen, but you never say never.

I'm not sure how many people are in the same situation but I have a normal landline as in days of yore. Why do people always call my cell phone when I am at home? And never call my home phone! I leave my cell phone in here by my computer and since I don't post like BRI it's obvious I am not near my computer every minute of the day :D They may leave a voice mail on my Cphone and I don't know it for several hours or more. I even leave home without my cell phone (i know it's hypocrisy). What to do? texting blah at least with voice communication you can decipher whether they are joking or are serious. :)

GBR

One thing I've actually heard brought up alot is whether or not landlines will eventually die out altogether. If everyone is so used to having and using a cell phone, will there eventually be little to no need for landlines?

For example, I live in the dorms at UNO, and we don't even have access to landlines for our dorm. Now, most dorms wouldn't... but these are apartment style dorms. I don't think we could hook one up, even if we brought our own.

I've texted "Payroll" and/or "Cash" to 98KUPD to try to win $1000..Probably the only reason I even keep my phone..I need to put on two pairs of glasses to even read the keys.

Taught myself to type by IM'ing with my soon to be wife..then stopped after we got married... and now almost never open her emails now that she's my ex.

The facebook thing has allowed me to apologize "ro all the girls I've loved before"..or at least some of them..so maybe my Karma is better off.