Lauren Cook Arrested

After that, you have to feel horrible for Lauren.

Couldn't disagree more.

Bully for you.

Having been a "good kid" and then having made many, many boneheaded mistakes (some criminal) in my life, and then turning out to be someone that is, apparently, trustworthy, good and honorable, I may have a different perspective than you. I presume from your response that you have not made such mistakes. I applaud your ability to make proper choices at all times. As a person who certainly cannot claim that, I can empathize with what Lauren is going through, and I feel horrible for her.

Good, you've learned from your mistakes. I certainly can't claim I make proper choices all the time. But she had no business behind the wheel of a car, she knew she had no business behind the wheel of a car, society told her she had no business behind the wheel of a car. Her driving is dangerous to other people. She chose to put people in danger anyways. People make mistakes, but if they refuse to learn from them, I don't feel bad for them.

After that, you have to feel horrible for Lauren.

Couldn't disagree more.

Bully for you.

Having been a "good kid" and then having made many, many boneheaded mistakes (some criminal) in my life, and then turning out to be someone that is, apparently, trustworthy, good and honorable, I may have a different perspective than you. I presume from your response that you have not made such mistakes. I applaud your ability to make proper choices at all times. As a person who certainly cannot claim that, I can empathize with what Lauren is going through, and I feel horrible for her.

Good, you've learned from your mistakes. I certainly can't claim I make proper choices all the time. But she had no business behind the wheel of a car, she knew she had no business behind the wheel of a car, society told her she had no business behind the wheel of a car. Her driving is dangerous to other people. She chose to put people in danger anyways. People make mistakes, but if they refuse to learn from them, I don't feel bad for them.

I can still hold her responsible for her actions and yet feel bad for her. The two are not mutually exclusive.

John Cook just announced that "nothing has changed" regarding Lauren's playing status as of now. He's not going to reinstate her "until this gets resolved."

The takeaway - It's Team Root for the long haul. Lauren's hearing is now set for tomorrow, 11/8/11, but that's only to find out what they're going to charge her with. If they attempt to prosecute her on the felony then she's done for the year (based on John's "resolved" statement) because her trial won't be set for a while.

It all depends on how the DA views her record with the previous tickets and the fact that she was driving on a suspended license. Absent those issues, I'm certain there's no felony on the table, that it would be pled down to nothing. But if they're still on the table... I don't know what they'll do. I have a very hard time believing they're interested in prosecuting Lauren Cook on a felony. She's not the kind of person we need to have behind bars. She needs a nice big dose of "Wake the F up!!!," not jail time.

We'll find out tomorrow, I guess.

Yep. I'm surprised and not surprised. I'm not surprised because of the outstanding speeding tickets, the suspended license, and leaving the scene. I mean... that's hard to argue with.

I'm surprised because Lauren Cook is not the kind of person we need behind bars. Still a long way to go from here to conviction and sentencing, so I doubt she's ever sent to hard time.

Here's a blurb from the LJS:

Prosecutor files felony charge against Lauren Cook

Suspended Nebraska volleyball player Lauren Cook will face a felony charge of leaving the scene of an injury accident.

Lincoln police arrested Cook on Oct. 30 on suspicion of leaving the scene of an injury accident and driving with a suspended license. She is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in Lancaster County Court, Lancaster County Attorney Joe Kelly said.

He needs to kick her off the team. She is being prosecuted as a felon. If this happened to any other player they would be dismissed.

Sorry but leaving the scene of an injury accident is not something to be taken lightly. Take into account the driving record and suspended license and you have a huge mess.

Shouting wake the hell up is not enough in this case.

How could someone who is one of the best volleyball players in the country, fail at the little things in life, like stopping when you run people over.

She has put her dad in a rough spot. Time for some tough love dad!

Sorry but leaving the scene of an injury accident is not something to be taken lightly. Take into account the driving record and suspended license and you have a huge mess.

Shouting wake the hell up is not enough in this case.

My comment of "Wake the F up" was metaphoric, of course. Perhaps that shout could be suspending her for the rest of the season. Or it could be kicking her entirely off the team. I wouldn't argue with either, but both actions would be a "Wake the F up" move. That's what I was getting at.

Sam McKewon just tweeted that Lauren is going to try to enter a diversion program, which makes a ton of sense. Speaking purely as a criminal matter, Lauren is not the kind of person we need to protect society from. She just needs to grow up.

Sam, via Twitter:

Lauren Cook's attorney having 11:00 a.m. presser. She's been charged with a felony. But she will try to be accepted to a diversion program.

According to info on volley talk, which I have no idea what the source is, Lauren had completed the necessary paperwork to have her license reinstated in time and is not being charged for driving with a suspended license. Also it sounds like she was genuinely remorseful for her actions after the accident and didn't know what to do.

I guess it still kinda bothers me that she was within about a foot of possibly killing two people, but unfortunately it's a regular occurrence that people don't see motorcycles because they are not paying attention and / or driving at speeds in trap areas (intersections, parking lots, residential areas with parked cars etc.) that make it impossible to react in time.

According to info on volley talk, which I have no idea what the source is, Lauren had completed the necessary paperwork to have her license reinstated in time and is not being charged for driving with a suspended license. Also it sounds like she was genuinely remorseful for her actions after the accident and didn't know what to do.

I believe I have a pretty good idea when this happened, and it was after the accident, not before.

EDIT - despite what I posted, she is NOT being charged with the license suspension. Just the felony.