Michigan @Iowa: Who do we want to win?

At the start of the season there was a ton of talk about 8-4 possibly 9-3 if things went our way. Now... now we are hearing a 10-2 season with an appearance in the CCG is backing into the game.

Husker Fans- It is no longer the mid-90's. Let's stop playing Bruce Springsteen's Glory Days and move on. Live in the now and be thankful that we have a coach and AD who are moving the program in the right direction. It's very possible that we will finish the regular season 11-1. With our schedule, how many of us would have taken that in a heartbeat two months ago?

At the start of the season there was a ton of talk about 8-4 possibly 9-3 if things went our way. Now... now we are hearing a 10-2 season with an appearance in the CCG is backing into the game.

Husker Fans- It is no longer the mid-90's. Let's stop playing Bruce Springsteen's Glory Days and move on. Live in the now and be thankful that we have a coach and AD who are moving the program in the right direction. It's very possible that we will finish the regular season 11-1. With our schedule, how many of us would have taken that in a heartbeat two months ago?

This is refreshing!!!!! I AGREE! Times have changed and so has college football. We no longer have some of the advantages of the old days. I'm thankful we can consider ourselves a top tier team again!!!

This is where you are wrong, people will remember and will care. Maybe YOU wont, but other people will, that is the difference. I dont care about the media, but i know some of the fans, the players and the coaches care.

There is more to N football than wins and ccg. I think Tom O would agree.

Yeah, NU football is all about beating one-loss teams, not two-loss teams! Grrrr!

But no, TO wouldn't agree with this path-of-most-resistance nonsense, otherwise we'd never play another non-conference cupcake. TO has already turned down certain non-conference match-ups to keep our schedule reasonable. This is totally fine. Just about any team that's ever won a championship in a highly-competitive league will tell you there's some luck and good fortune involved. There has to be a good amount of realism. Hell, we'd barely even be in the Legends discussion right now if we had gotten OSU at full-strength for the entire game. We caught a break. Should we forfeit the win because we're Nebraska, and we want every accomplishment to be solely earned on our own talents?

Totally agree. You catch breaks during the year, every single team does. Colt McCoy went down in the National Champ game...you think Alabama isn't claiming their win? Be realistic. YES, we want to win every game.....but if for some reason we don't, and another team loses that gets us in....I'm totally fine with it. I mean, if Ohio State makes the CCG, you think they are all upset because they played like crap for a while and feel like they don't deserve it? Any team that makes it is happy, and had to win enough games to make it...plain and simple. That just means the conference is beating each other up.

So Michigan having two losses would somehow make us akin to Boise State? :facepalm:

No, just no.

No but hoping for our opponents to lose so that somehow this makes them easier to beat does?? Boise St = Terrible Strength of Schedule

Now if we were 1 game behind Michigan, of course I would be rooting for them to lose, but we are not.....WE CONTROL OUR OWN DESTINY!!

I am under the impression that we should be able to defeat an UNDEFEATED Michigan just as easily as we should defeat an 0-12 Michigan, it comes down to our team vs Michigans team not Michigans W-L record.

But I will say, beating a higher ranked a 8-1 Michigan ranked probably between 11-14 sure a hell looks alot better than beating a a 7-2 Michigan that is unranked or hovering around 24-25. Conversely should we lose, it looks a helluva lot better to have lost to a couple of top 10 teams of which Michigan would be should they beat Iowa and Us

If we win out it doesn't matter who wins their game. Let's just beat NW, Michigan and Iowa and we're in the CCG.

RIght..... but if we drop a game to either UM/PSU then it would be good for UM to have a loss! Seems to make a lot more sense than hoping NU runs the table

OK, ya'll convinced me. I'll be for Iowa over Michigan (like it matters who I'm for) and then the Huskers will have wiggle room to go stink it up in some of our remaining games. I feel good about this. The pride is welling up inside me. The old days are over. We can settle and we'll like it. Beating top 10 teams is overrated. We should be scheduling BigSky teams for our non-cons. We don't want any other B1G teams to ever win or be ranked because it will make it easier for us to get into our CCG. I can probably get the hang of this. Ah screw it, I'll just forget about college football and become a MLB fan instead. Then I could really be satisfied when my team breaks .500 and gets into the playoffs.

This is where you are wrong, people will remember and will care. Maybe YOU wont, but other people will, that is the difference. I dont care about the media, but i know some of the fans, the players and the coaches care.

Yeah, NU football is all about beating one-loss teams, not two-loss teams! Grrrr!

But no, TO wouldn't agree with this path-of-most-resistance nonsense, otherwise we'd never play another non-conference cupcake. TO has already turned down certain non-conference match-ups to keep our schedule reasonable. This is totally fine. Just about any team that's ever won a championship in a highly-competitive league will tell you there's some luck and good fortune involved. There has to be a good amount of realism. Hell, we'd barely even be in the Legends discussion right now if we had gotten OSU at full-strength for the entire game. We caught a break. Should we forfeit the win because we're Nebraska, and we want every accomplishment to be solely earned on our own talents?

Thank you.

Besides, how much PRIDE will some of you have when we are sitting at home, watching Michigan or MSU play for a CCG, while we have to hear "Welcome to teh Big 10!!111!!111!!1!1!!!!" from every Squawkeye fan you run across.

For those of you whom are so self concious, I bet that would be so PRIDE ful. :dumdum

OK, ya'll convinced me. I'll be for Iowa over Michigan (like it matters who I'm for) and then the Huskers will have wiggle room to go stink it up in some of our remaining games. I feel good about this. The pride is welling up inside me. The old days are over. We can settle and we'll like it. Beating top 10 teams is overrated. We should be scheduling BigSky teams for our non-cons. We don't want any other B1G teams to ever win or be ranked because it will make it easier for us to get into our CCG. I can probably get the hang of this. Ah screw it, I'll just forget about college football and become a MLB fan instead. Then I could really be satisfied when my team breaks .500 and gets into the playoffs.

You forgot your sarcastic smiley.

But I do agree with you 100% that NU should not settle for anything less, but...............as someone who's hoping for a MI loss I think at this point with NU still not quite at Bama/LSU level we need all the help we can to get back to the top so that we can start attracting blue chip 5* athletes.

Without stud players we'll be a perennial 3-4 loss team

Thank you.

Besides, how much PRIDE will some of you have when we are sitting at home, watching Michigan or MSU play for a CCG, while we have to hear "Welcome to teh Big 10!!111!!111!!1!1!!!!" from every Squawkeye fan you run across.

For those of you whom are so self concious, I bet that would be so PRIDE ful. :dumdum

Whatever you say buddy. You obviously have your opinions, right or wrong, and it's obvious there's no convincing you, so I'll leave it at that. I'm just saying, as a team mentality, let's root for Michigan to beat Iowa so we can get the best Michigan team that we can when we go to Ann Arbor. If we lose, then we don't deserve to go to the CCG, plain and simple. Besides, if we were to lose to Michigan, Michigan State would likely go to the CCG in our division, so if you are going to root against anybody, root against MSU.

so you can go ahead and try and insult me with your goofy face emoticons or whatever you're trying to do. Either way, if we would happen to lose and not make it to the CCG, if you can't deal with a couple of sarcastic comments from other teams, then maybe you should perform a self-humility check. I am going to college in Missouri where everybody hates Nebraska, and I get comments all the time like, "You guys couldn't win the Big 12, so you had to run to a weaker conference where you could win.." It's not hard to shrug them off because let's be honest: had Mizzou, ISU, KU, or KSU been extended an invite to the B1G, they would've jumped on it too. I know that's a little off topic, but it's the same concept... one which you apparently can't grasp...

Well its getting a little hot in here, lets add some perspective. We want Michigan to win. Period. When we play Iowa, I have no doubt based on the style of offense they run, our defense will shut them down. Michigan on the other hand, runs a style that we have faced and had trouble with in the past, just look to tOSU and Wiscy. If we can't beat Michigan, then we don't deserve to be there. Should we backdoor it, imagine what a healthy tOSU would do to us as revenge. I'm not saying they would win necessarily, but given the chance, they would try to roll us. And then what would the other fan bases say about us not to mention the media. Have I covered all the concerns? The team just needs to go out and take care of business, get through Penn St. so we can play them again in the CCG because that is what it is looking like.

But I do agree with you 100% that NU should not settle for anything less, but...............as someone who's hoping for a MI loss I think at this point with NU still not quite at Bama/LSU level we need all the help we can to get back to the top so that we can start attracting blue chip 5* athletes.

I wanted to use the smiley but I was posting on my Droid and don't have that option so I laid it on extra thick. The way this thread was going I wanted to make sure nobody thought I was serious. Funny thing is I've never said I would rather not be in the CCG. I'll take anyway we need to get there BUT I would rather earn it on our own merits. I don't want the help until we need it and I don't feel we'll need it. We just have to take care of business which, for me for now, includes defeating a higher ranked Michigan. If we stumble, I'll change my tune but not until then. If it turns out to be too late then, I am confident that what I or anyone wants now has no bearing on what is going to happen anyway. So, I'm just livin the dream. I am just glad I am not so far gone to make statements like "dignity doesn't matter", "respect is overrated", "it's not the 90's anymore-get over it", "we'll never return to dominance" etc. If those are true, I would have to seriously evaluate why I watch college football and why I care about the Huskers. IMO, if we don't strive for excellence and national prominence then it is just a waste of time. Might as well just play checkers. Heck CSU is only about 20 miles from where I live. If I want my team to depend on help from a weak conference, I could try being a Rams fan.

I wanted to use the smiley but I was posting on my Droid and don't have that option so I laid it on extra thick. The way this thread was going I wanted to make sure nobody thought I was serious. Funny thing is I've never said I would rather not be in the CCG. I'll take anyway we need to get there BUT I would rather earn it on our own merits. I don't want the help until we need it and I don't feel we'll need it. We just have to take care of business which, for me for now, includes defeating a higher ranked Michigan. If we stumble, I'll change my tune but not until then. If it turns out to be too late then, I am confident that what I or anyone wants now has no bearing on what is going to happen anyway. So, I'm just livin the dream. I am just glad I am not so far gone to make statements like "dignity doesn't matter", "respect is overrated", "it's not the 90's anymore-get over it", "we'll never return to dominance" etc. If those are true, I would have to seriously evaluate why I watch college football and why I care about the Huskers. IMO, if we don't strive for excellence and national prominence then it is just a waste of time. Might as well just play checkers. Heck CSU is only about 20 miles from where I live. If I want my team to depend on help from a weak conference, I could try being a Rams fan.

Something tells me that you and I are going to get a long real well on this BBS.....

Weird...don't see how rooting for Iowa to win is throwing support behind the implied acceptance of permanent mediocrity for our program, but to each their own, I suppose.

Common sense is a rare commodity, Matt. Especially when a seemingly weaker Michigan team would be equally offset by a seemingly stronger Iowa team.