Welcome to the B1G indeed

So, we've heard it for a while. Welcome to the B1G! You're about to see what Big 10 football is all about, Husker fans.

And so on...

What I thought about the Big 10 before this year was that it was the most over-hyped, over rated, slow, boring type of football that was readily available on television. Every year they'd get 4 or 5 teams ranked. They'd each look incredibly unimpressive in non conference play, but then, fortunately for them, they got to play similarly over ranked, over hyped teams ...... each other. They would then beat each other up for the next 8 weeks, while ESPN would talk about what a gauntlet the conference schedule is and how the teams are so elite and evenly matched. Then.....bowl season. And after each bowl game loss by a Big 10 team, the analysts would ask each other 'did we maybe over rank some of these teams?'. LOL

So now, as I watch the B1G pull it's usual gambit of playing unimpressive, uninspiring football, where all the teams seem to be able to beat each other and no team resembles anything special, I find myself quite depressed realizing that my Cornhuskers are part of this fiasco.

We lost to an apparently very mortal Wisconsin team. Snuck by a very ordinary Ohio St squad. Beat a classically over rated Michigan St. team, who was earlier destroyed by the poster child of hype, the Fighting Irish. And just now lost in a very head scratching affair on their home field against a team with 5 losses.

We were over rated. We are mediocre.

Welcome to the B1G, indeed.

• Fire 1

The B1G has been and still is a very overrated conference. Nebraska is a very mediocre team and we are one of the better teams in the conference. There are really no elite teams in the conference. This conference is full of a bunch of 10-25 ranked teams. Come bowl season....this conference will get shown up again.

Meh, its hard to say if we're 'overated'. What conferences are consistently better than us? Sure the SEC is on top but the Big XII is down to two National Powers, the Big Ten now has four and the SEC has what? like 5 to 6 depending on who you count. The ACC has 1 maybe two as does the Pac 10. I'm pretty happy with where the conference is now and where we're headed.

Yes, Oklahoma was much more inspiring while being face-raped by Texas Tech. Put down the pipe and watch a game or two.

The same Tech team that got destroyed by Iowa St. the next week and now UT ran for over 400 yards against. The best team in that conference gives up something like 30 points a game.

I'll stick with the B1G.

Meh, its hard to say if we're 'overated'. What conferences are consistently better than us? Sure the SEC is on top but the Big XII is down to two National Powers, the Big Ten now has four and the SEC has what? like 5 to 6 depending on who you count. The ACC has 1 maybe two as does the Pac 10. I'm pretty happy with where the conference is now and where we're headed.

We really don't have the first clue about how the conference stacks up because you have Wisconsin playing absolutely NO ONE non conference. Ohio St barely survived it's all-Ohio non conference tour. Penn St. got beat handily by Alabama. Sparty got smacked by Notre Dame.

I can't think of a single point of reference that suggests that this conference is the 2nd best in the nation.

We really don't have the first clue about how the conference stacks up because you have Wisconsin playing absolutely NO ONE non conference. Ohio St barely survived it's all-Ohio non conference tour. Penn St. got beat handily by Alabama. Sparty got smacked by Notre Dame.

I can't think of a single point of reference that points to this conference being the 2nd best in the nation.

I wasn't arguing that, I'm simply saying if not us than who? and I'm talking Big Picture here, I know the Big XII is stacked for a quick second but that will pass.

I can't think of a single point of reference that points to this conference being the 2nd best in the nation.

I wasn't arguing that, I'm simply saying if not us than who? and I'm talking Big Picture here, I know the Big XII is stacked for a quick second but that will pass.

Pac 12 has two legitimate top 10 teams. I would assert that Oklahoma would be the best team in the Big 10 by a substantial margin this year. And, like you said, the SEC is the SEC.

I think you could make an argument that the B1G is no better than the 4th best conference in the FBS.

All this being said, I'm not slitting my wrists after today's game. I just realized two things:

a) in spite of the glaring weaknesses on this team, we still have a good shot at making the CCG

b) that being said, who regards the title 'Big 10 Champion' very highly given the performance of the conference as a whole up to now?