Any Way PSU Game is Called?

It kind of makes me wonder, though, how Paterno is getting flack for this when, from what I've read, people seem in agreement that, procedurally, he did everything necessary by reporting it to the A.D. Whether or not Paterno was involved in a coverup, I have to wonder what kind of message this sends to any other head coach who could potentially deal with something like this in the future; if a coach finds out about something like this, thinks it's too big for him to handle, and passes it on to the A.D. (Whose job it is, among other things, to handle such things pertaining to the athletic department) and he still ends up in hot water, then what procedure should a head coach follow? Emotional reaction out of the sickness of the situation aside, what does this say to other coaches?

this thought i do not understand. maybe he did do everything preternaturally, but it was not enough. he should have kept at it until he knew sandusky was no longer a threat. if that meant continuing to go the AD and legal authorities, or going to the press if it came to that. he did what he did, and then washed his hands of it, knowing the problem was nowhere near solved. in my mind, he is complicit in this and i am not sure how he can leave with himself. if you knew someone did what sandusky did, would you be able to work with him, let alone look at him?

I rememeber a Yahoo sports reporter saying over the summer that there will be scandel reveiled this year that will make the USC, Scam Newton & Ohio St problems look like minor infractions. I wish I could find it again & wonder if this is what he was talking about.

I remember reading that article you are talking about it and I think it was referring to the Miami scandal.

It was. It was the Nevin Shapiro case.

And as bad as that one seemed to us...this one is 100x worse.

It was Yahoo! Sports’ Charles Robinson. He worked on both the Reggie Bush/USC and Oregon stories.

While being interviewed on ESPN radio last march Robinson hinted about a story that would be a "10." He said he’d been working on since November and thought it would likely be ready before the start of the 2011 College Football season.

ESPN: So is there another team, another organization, another sport that should be nervous right now because you're working on something comparable?

Robinson: Yeah [laughs], we've still got a couple more coming.[several moments of back-and-forth banter]

Robinson: I've got probably a six to a seven, maybe an eight depending on where you live coming in the next two weeks, and then by August, a ten.

ESPN: Well, what would you consider the Tressel story, on a one to ten?

Robinson: Probably an eight.

ESPN: So there's something even bigger than that coming in the summertime?

Robinson: Yeah. Yeah. There's one I've been working on since, I don't know, I'm probably entering my fourth month on it, and we'll probably get a good six, seven months more in on it before I'm done.

I remember how huge that story was when it broke. It was all over, talk of Miami getting the death penalty, questions about what other schools might have been involved, speculation that it'd completely destroy any chance of Miami ever being a college football powerhouse again...

It's mind-boggling to think about how small that story suddenly is in comparison to this one.

It kind of makes me wonder, though, how Paterno is getting flack for this when, from what I've read, people seem in agreement that, procedurally, he did everything necessary by reporting it to the A.D. Whether or not Paterno was involved in a coverup, I have to wonder what kind of message this sends to any other head coach who could potentially deal with something like this in the future; if a coach finds out about something like this, thinks it's too big for him to handle, and passes it on to the A.D. (Whose job it is, among other things, to handle such things pertaining to the athletic department) and he still ends up in hot water, then what procedure should a head coach follow? Emotional reaction out of the sickness of the situation aside, what does this say to other coaches?

this thought i do not understand. maybe he did do everything preternaturally, but it was not enough. he should have kept at it until he knew sandusky was no longer a threat. if that meant continuing to go the AD and legal authorities, or going to the press if it came to that. he did what he did, and then washed his hands of it, knowing the problem was nowhere near solved. in my mind, he is complicit in this and i am not sure how he can leave with himself. if you knew someone did what sandusky did, would you be able to work with him, let alone look at him?

Exactly. Its not like there was a report sandusky was smacking a player around because he messed up. The report was he was raping a kid in the shower. How do you not follow up with that, how do you not ask your long time friend what the hell was going on. If it were my legendary coach it wouldn't matter. He might not of done it, but he didn't do anything more to help prevent it.

You wonder how Paterno is getting flak for this? Let's review:

2002 – Paterno is told that Sandusky was witnessed having sex with a child in the team's showers.

2002-last week: Paterno does NOTHING to restrict Sandusky's access to campus, the team, the facilities or to the press box, with young children in tow.

AT NO TIME did Paterno report this incident to the police. Legally he may have done what he is required to do. Morally he failed, utterly, and his inaction allowed a known pedophile to continue to prey on young children.

How many more children were victimized by Sandusky because the man you think did nothing wrong didn't raise hell?

If you were told by an eyewitness that a man like Sandusky had been assaulting a child, would you tell your supervisor and then never say anything again? Would you allow that person (Sandusky) access to your facilities, your team, your recruits, without ever saying anything again?

I'm not wondering why Paterno is getting flack, I understand that his reaction seems questionable. I absolutely agree that he should've done more to ensure this wasn't happening, in his facility or elsewhere. What I said was that procedurally most people are saying he did what was expected of him. My question is more focused on how other coaches might react to this, knowing that they could be in Paterno's shoes one day, god forbid.

(Edit: I just realized that my first sentence says I was wondering why he was getting flack..hah, that isn't what I intended to ask there. Sorry for the confusion. It was early in the morning >.>)

I don't think they will punish the student-athletes for this. Canceling the game is punishing the players and fans more than anything. Suspend of fire whoever needs to be, but don't cancel games.

At this point cancellation is not about punishing the players, it is about something terrible that will have a much longer term affect on the victims than cancellation would have on the players. I am as big a fan as the next person, but the situation that occured is probably the most aggregious and serious in recent memory. Sometimes perspective is necessary, now is one of those times i believe. Sadly, there is too much money involved for the University and local economy and it is hiighly doubtful that cancellation will occur. It is kind of a sad statement of the way things are socially prioritized. It will definitely be an awkward feeling watching this game knowing the circumstances ocurring currently at the University.

Cancellation could also be about the safety of the players and fans, both visiting and PSU fans. These are students who have literally rioted after victories. What kind of atmosphere are we sending our players into?

So far there haven't been any incidents that would make me believe this game should be called. But if the Board of Trustees moves to oust Paterno before the game, you never know what the students will do.

Cancellation could also be about the safety of the players and fans, both visiting and PSU fans. These are students who have literally rioted after victories. What kind of atmosphere are we sending our players into?

So far there haven't been any incidents that would make me believe this game should be called. But if the Board of Trustees moves to oust Paterno before the game, you never know what the students will do.

I believe the students aren't dumb enough to attack our players or coaches, but I can't say the same about our fans that travel to the game. From what I've heard from long time B1G fans, Penn State is one of the more hostile environments in the country for opposing fans, and that's for a normal game. This game is going to be anything but normal for the Penn State fans.

I believe the students aren't dumb enough to attack our players or coaches,

Not to cast aspersions on the Penn State students, but we've seen our players come under assault by snowballs, batteries, coins, bottles, etc, from other fans. It is not out of the question at all.

I guess I should clarify. I don't think the Penn State students/fans will actually confront any of our players or coaches. As for throwing things at them, I would be more surprised if they didn't do something like that.

Tom Deinhart from BTN thinks the game should be cancelled:

A football game is scheduled for this Saturday at Penn State. Nebraska is coming to town. This looked like an important game as recently as just last week. Now, it’s insignificant.

Should it even be played? How can players and coaches focus on a game now? How can fans show up and shake a pom-pon for Penn State knowing what they know? Maybe out of respect for the victims and the families, the game should be postponed. Maybe the rest of Penn State’s season should be cancelled. That’s an epic decision, but we are witnessing an epic event.

This is a program and athletic department that has been rocked to the core by sickening allegations that have the entire nation white hot with rage.

Perhaps Penn State should focus on getting its house in order and not worry about playing football. Anywhere Penn State goes the rest of the season, this story will follow. But whatever you do, don’t weep for anyone other than the children and the families involved in this American tragedy. They had no choice in this matter.

Maybe the Penn State community, the Penn State family, should just spend the weekend honoring and thinking of them.

LINK

How many kids continued to get sodomized after the conscious decision by the staff to protect the Penn State "brand"? (What I'd also like to know is how you could possibly walk away from witnessing an adult sodomizing a child without giving him a bat to the temple first?)

How many of you would report that to your boss and then do nothing more? We're wayyyyyyyyyyy beyond NCAA violations here. How many things could possibly be worse than that? Those sick SOB's protected a pedophile rather than have a black mark on their program. The guy still had a locker and office on campus forgodsakes! If there's ever a reason to give a program the death penalty, this is it. Nuke their program and prosecute all those involved to the fullest extent of the law. Draw the friggen line. If not here, where?

Paul, I couldn't understand why the Grad Student or the janitor didn't stop what they saw happening? I'm with you. My husband and I lost our only son. If he would've lived and someone had done something to him like that ...well, that person would be singing soprano if you know what I mean.

I'm very sorry for your loss. If anything ever happened to my son, I'm not sure how I could go on. What saddens me is to see so many people come to Paterno's defense basically because he's an icon. I think that if this were to happen to almost any other college coach, there wouldn't be the support that you're seeing him get. The guy would be thrown to the lions.

This whole mess is turning into a frenzy--you have students rioting last night (to the point where they were broken up by police with tear gas, riot gear, and pepper spray), and there's a mass sit-in that is only going to get bigger and more virulent as this drags out.

Nebraska fans going to Happy Valley need to watch their six, especially if we win, as I'm worried that all sorts of hell will break loose at that point.

Delaney needs to do what is right and call this game off, find a way to postpone it, move it to a neutral site (or Lincoln), or *something*--this is a power keg environment that is going to blow up in the Big 10's face if they're not careful.

The events that have transpired over the last few days really make this a HUGE game. This will be the most anticipated game of the week from a national perspective. Not because two power houses are clashing, but because of all of the attention this story is getting from the media.

I'm very interested to see how the Penn State football team will respond to all of this.

I think the Huskers will come out and play much better than last week. I really want a win this week!! No cancelations please!