Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

There is no good black and white argument for whether the NCAA should be involved or not. The major players at the university and in athletics likely did what they did because they were worried about how the news would effect recruiting. In that case the NCAA should get involved. At the same time, those people are all gone now.

I just don't see that as a school trying to get a competitive advantage, that is a school trying not to be placed at a disadvantage (and not just for football, the entire school would have been cast in a bad light--albeit not as bad as it is now which is of course the school's fault). Ohio State coach playing players that he knew were ineligible: attempting to gain a competitive advantage; Miami allegedly using illegal recruiting tactics: attempting to gain a competitive advantage. I just do not see that with the PSU case. IMO the whole mess should be handle by criminal and civil courts, but I know there are several if not a ton of people that disagree with my thought process.

Well, I'll stop bitching about the NCAA now.

This would have been a much better example for that source in the ESPN article I cited:

Stewart Mandel@slmandel

Remember when Baylor player murdered his teammate & coach tried to cover up $$? Would Emmert now step in if happened today? If so, why not?

Was that player going to be there for the next 13 years murdering more people?

what's that got to do with the price of tea in China? And ask Stewart Mandel, he's the one that wrote it; I simply said its a better argument for the guy in my original post as an argument for the NCAA not getting involved with criminal cases that are outside its intended control (which is what he was attempting to argue the UVA case with).

This would have been a much better example for that source in the ESPN article I cited:

Stewart Mandel@slmandel

Remember when Baylor player murdered his teammate & coach tried to cover up $$? Would Emmert now step in if happened today? If so, why not?

He didnt step in because that was a one time tragic event, and it was terrible. But this PSU thing was a major cover-up by an high ranking officials over the span of YEARS. But this is just my honest opinion.

There is no good black and white argument for whether the NCAA should be involved or not. The major players at the university and in athletics likely did what they did because they were worried about how the news would effect recruiting. In that case the NCAA should get involved. At the same time, those people are all gone now.

I just don't see that as a school trying to get a competitive advantage, that is a school trying not to be placed at a disadvantage (and not just for football, the entire school would have been cast in a bad light--albeit not as bad as it is now which is of course the school's fault).

I honestly see the two things as equivalent in this situation. They did the wrong thing to protect their reputation. It's an advantage over the situation they assumed they would have had if they did the right thing.

Was that player going to be there for the next 13 years murdering more people?

what's that got to do with the price of tea in China? And ask Stewart Mandel, he's the one that wrote it; I simply said its a better argument for the guy in my original post as an argument for the NCAA not getting involved with criminal cases that are outside its intended control (which is what he was attempting to argue the UVA case with).

And I replied like I did because it's still a bad argument. *shrug*

Stewart Mandel@slmandel

Baylor imposed it's own sanctions, and the NCAA did step in and make them harsher. According to wikipedia (bad source, I know), "The sanctions so crippled the Bears that they didn't have another winning season until 2008. It is one of the harshest penalties ever imposed on a Division I program that didn't include a death penalty."

So this was a good example. In favor of the NCAA taking action against Penn St.

• Fire 3

Watching the coverage of the statue being taken down, and the interviews of PSU fans really make me hope the NCAA drops an enormous hammer tomorrow. These backwoods muppets are so completely in denial/fantasyland about this whole thing it isn't even funny. Hell, I'm surprised they're not picketing in front of the jail Sandusky is in and trying to get him free.

I understand, support your school. But that's not even what they're saying. Singing the praises of Paterno and Spanier? STILL?

'Oh, but there's no proof that anyone did anything wrong.' :facepalm:

Stewart Mandel@slmandel

Baylor imposed it's own sanctions, and the NCAA did step in and make them harsher. According to wikipedia (bad source, I know), "The sanctions so crippled the Bears that they didn't have another winning season until 2008. It is one of the harshest penalties ever imposed on a Division I program that didn't include a death penalty."

I misread it then

Stewart Mandel@slmandel

+1

AND.........some of the news trickling out now suggests that the punitive actions being considered might make PSU wish it had gotten the death penalty instead............(not that I can conceive of just WHAT that all might entail)...

Watching the coverage of the statue being taken down, and the interviews of PSU fans really make me hope the NCAA drops an enormous hammer tomorrow. These backwoods muppets are so completely in denial/fantasyland about this whole thing it isn't even funny. Hell, I'm surprised they're not picketing in front of the jail Sandusky is in and trying to get him free.

I understand, support your school. But that's not even what they're saying. Singing the praises of Paterno and Spanier? STILL?

'Oh, but there's no proof that anyone did anything wrong.' :facepalm:

I watched it this morning before I had to go to work. Rick Pizzo interviewed some guy watching the statue being torn down, and this guy really said that the statue shouldnt be torn down because of one mistake JoePa made. I didnt know how to feel when I heard that, I thought maybe he was a little slow, or maybe he really truely believes what he saying is right.

Either way, that whle fan base needs a rude awakening tomorrow.

What do we have so far? This is what I've seen...

-Not the Death Penalty

-Something, unique by itself or as a combination, unlike anything we've ever seen

-Far worse than the Death Penalty

-To be announced tomorrow at 0900

That's what I see. From that what could it be?

Combination of fines, scholarships, and post season bans? Also maybe a ban on non-conference games? I've seen that all thrown out there. Maybe it'll be an issue of time, as in these sanctions last a very long time rather than the 1-2 year stints we saw for Southern Cal, UNC and OSU.

one mistake JoePa made.

Every time I hear that I'm thinking... every hour/minute/second that he decided to not do the right thing after 1998 or 2001 was another mistake.

Thats just what that Penn State fan said during his interview. May the NCAA ruin that program.

I made a suggestion to Sports Nightly the other day about being in support of something they occasionally do in European soccer. Make your team play in front of an empty stadium. No fans. Just the teams, some media, medical personnel, and the refs.

What would you guys think about making PSU play all of its' home games this year with a fan ban?