Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

The reason I liked the 'fan ban' idea is that it sends a clear message, not only to PSU but to programs around the country. I've watched a couple of the games in Italy that have imposed the 'fan ban', and to be honest, it really doesn't affect how good or bad the game is, but you're watching it thinking, 'wow, this is crazy.'

That, and the message can be interpreted as 'our football team has no support this year...kind of like how children had no support for 14 years under this school's watch.'

I made a suggestion to Sports Nightly the other day about being in support of something they occasionally do in European soccer. Make your team play in front of an empty stadium. No fans. Just the teams, some media, medical personnel, and the refs.

What would you guys think about making PSU play all of its' home games this year with a fan ban?

I think taking cues from soccer is always a bad idea.

They should make the football team play soccer and the soccer team play football

I tried to picture soccer players playing football. For some reason this is the only thing that came to mind:

mark-sanchez-flinch1.gif

• Fire 3

Anyone else get the feeling that this punishment is going to be anti-climatic and in the end, something like no bowl games for two years and a loss of 5 scholarships for 3 years.

I just get that feeling that in the end, it won't be all that harsh. Maybe it is because I was thinking along the lines of

1. Four year bowl ban

2. Two years with no home games (to me, this will always be the harshest form of punishment)

3. 10 scholarships per year for four years

Whatever it ends up being, I seriously doubt there will be any Goldilocks endorsements. It will either be too lenient or too harsh, I have a feeling no one will say "this one is just right."

Count me in the too lenient. I was thinking something more like this as appropriate:

1. 2 year TV ban

2. 5 year postseason & bowl ban

3. loss of 10 scholarships for 14 years

4. 10 year probation.

5. Vacating last years wins - Give the record back to Robinson

Oher thoughts:

Should be interesting to see how the B1G reacts to the sanctions. If PSU is no longer a revenue generator will that be what motivates the B1G to cut ties? It doesn't seem like what PSU perpetrated was enough to consider expelling them.

NCAA is not acting too fast. This has been going on since November.

Will PSU fans still want to donate football profits to charities after the NCAA sanctions don't require it?

Paterno family statements are just getting more absurd. Shouldn't expect anything else from a family who's head was a pedo enabler.

I need to turn off TV if BTN is going to repeat their special presentation. I could watch the statue come down all day and it wouldn't get old.

http://www.cbsnews.c...nst-penn-state/

Says there will be unprecedented penalties announced tommorrow.

Am I the only one who feels that doesn't make any sense?

Has there been indication that PSU has sent the NCAA their formal response to the initial inquiry yet? I'm all for nuking Happy Valley but why in the world would you trip over yourself in a rush to do it before you've dotted all the 'i's & crossed the 't's?

I realize some probably are and its a damn shame too. "How can we benefit from decades of child rape? Let's get going on this guys, I've got a great feeling!"

You know damn well that at this very moment Bielema is brainstorming on a way to score 100 against the team formally known as Penn State.

Pretty sure this is a joke?

But I do agree with the ND bit. It would behoove the Big Ten to distance itself from Penn State altogether.

It is.

The wet dream of Penn State fans is for the B1G to kick them out. WIthout the uber-program @ State College the B1G would sink to MAC levels while Penn State would join the ACC & cause it to rise into an eastern power on the coattails on the 'nits.

BTW that is not sarcasm. It's been posted by the PSU faithful many times on their boards over the years (even before the Sandusky scandal broke). They truly believe Penn State is the only thing propping up the Big Ten.

If PSU had done something immediately and turned Sandusky in and given him the boot everyone would have applauded them. I think there is more to this than we will ever know. It just doesn't add up. Something like this going on in the program with janitors even aware? I am sure there had to be a lot of rumors circulating. One has to look back at the Husker program and rumors that circulated concerning various coaches and their sexual, albeit legal, excapades who ended up getting pink slips.

If you go back and read the articles that came out shortly after Sandusky was indicted (spring 2011) there are at least a couple that state flat out that the Sandusky situation had been an open secret in the area for years. There was a charity golf event associated with The Second Mile whose dwindling attendance for a number of years was cited as being directly connected to people knowing about Sandusky's acts.

Boring too.

The SMU sanction was for no home games. So they wouldn't have played in front of empty stadiums, just ones full of the opponent's fans.

That idea actually appeals to me. Their actual 2012 schedule is very, very home friendly. They don't play any of the bigger games on the road.

Count me in the too lenient. I was thinking something more like this as appropriate:

1. 2 year TV ban

2. xxx

3. xxx

4. xxx

5. Vacating last years wins - Give the record back to Robinson

I totally agree with you on 5. They should vacate the last 11 to 13 years of wins (from whatever day Paterno talked the A.D. out of doing anything).

I will be surprised if there is a t.v. ban. That would affect the Big Ten Network and the other teams in the league and there isn't any evidence to suggest that the league knew about this. I think the t.v. ban is a thing of days gone by. A two-year t.v. ban coupled with multi-year scholarship and post-season bans would be significantly worse than a one year death penalty, imho.

Iowa’s Mason: Big Ten might punish Penn State, too

.../snip/...

“I think you can expect when the NCAA is ready to talk about what the appropriate actions are with regard to Penn State, that we’ll be ready to talk about appropriate actions with regard to the conference as well,” said University of Iowa president Sally Mason, chairman of the conference’s powerful council of presidents and chancellors

.../contd/...

Don't know if this has been suggested yet, but one unique sanction might be to allow ALL currently committed and signed PSU players the option to transfer immediately without penalty or loss of a year's eligibility.

Yeah...not like it's their fault.

I know it isn't going to happen, but I wonder what the NCAA would do in a situation where the B1G booted PSU out of the conference, since that would put the B1G down to 11 teams. Would they still let the CCG continue?

Don't know if this has been suggested yet, but one unique sanction might be to allow ALL currently committed and signed PSU players the option to transfer immediately without penalty or loss of a year's eligibility.

I know it isn't going to happen, but I wonder what the NCAA would do in a situation where the B1G booted PSU out of the conference, since that would put the B1G down to 11 teams. Would they still let the CCG continue?

It might force them to finally let us play Indiana................. :)

It might force them to finally let us play Indiana................. :)

Haha, that'd be interesting, but I doubt scheduling would allow for it. Maybe they'd just allow a 'forfeiture' by PSU until another school had to be brought in?

watching the fans defend paterno, and their arguments, is pretty disturbing.

I actually had to watch it twice just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating what they were actually saying. No wonder the cover-up lasted as long as it did. The PSU coaches, president, and administrators knew they had nothing to worry about as long as they were confident the fan base wasn't going to care or say jack-sh*t about anything they knew. Long live the football program.

Just a shot in the dark, but I'm going to guess that one part of their punishment consists of a large percentage of football revenue to be donated to victims. So if said punishment is 5 years, then victims fund will be 5 years worth of football revenue. This would be separate from the $$ PSU will have to dole out via Civil suits.

Again, just speculating here.

This is floating around as what the penalties will be...

Bowl ban until 2015

No scholarships for 2013

Current roster allowed to transfer without penalty

Clearing House to facilitate all transfers

Transferring players will not count against scholarship numbers of acquiring teams

Reduction off scholarships by 8 for 5 years beginning 2014

Beginning of 2014 option to field team in Division 1AA or secondary sub division

Records going back to 1998 will be vacated

Financial fines from 30 60 million

this would be unprecedented