Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

I'm sure they do. I'd like to see them pool those resources and create something tangible, a center of study unlike anything in America. Crowd it with grad students and experts tasked with finding the root causes of this perversion, preventing its manifestation and healing the pain it wreaks.

If I'm a shot caller in the new State College regime it'd be a top priority. Anything to regain some credibility and respect...show that we're addressing the problem and at least trying to somehow make things right. Firing folks, hiring Freeh, canceling football, paying some fines...that's all woefully insufficient.

I'd build that center and I'd throw it up right in front of Happy Valley. They'd share a damn parking lot. Furthermore I'd plop Paterno's statue in the building's atrium as a permanent exhibit. A reminder and a testament to failure and institutional idiocy involving this issue.

That'd only be a start to atoning for this.

Just proves that you don't put up statues of people that are still a part of this world.

Florida and Alabama take notice.

And it's also as creepy as hell.

Even worse when one of them is of a guy who's still in his early twenties. Whole life left to do embarrassing things.

I heard something like:

5 year bowl ban

10-15 scholarships per year for 5 years

Probation

Huge fine (30 million+)

Not sure if anything else.

If that all is true,

Does anyone think that the penalty will be reduced on appeal? Something like a 5 year bowl ban is an effective DP, I can easily imagine it gets reduced when the issue moves out of the public eye.

Also that fine raises my eyebrow, well both because I can't do The Rock's eyebrow. What does the NCAA do with the money? Why do they get it? Shouldn't it go to the victims? I get that when the ABC Corporation defrauds shareholders, the Feds intervene and levy a fine on ABC. In theory that deters companies like ABC and Uncle Sam spend that money on law enforcement to stop future crimes. I just don't see the NCAA fitting into that analogy.

I heard something like:

5 year bowl ban

Probation

Huge fine (30 million+)

If that all is true,

Does anyone think that the penalty will be reduced on appeal? Something like a 5 year bowl ban is an effective DP, I can easily imagine it gets reduced when the issue moves out of the public eye.

Also that fine raises my eyebrow, well both because I can't do The Rock's eyebrow. What does the NCAA do with the money? Why do they get it? Shouldn't it go to the victims? I get that when the ABC Corporation defrauds shareholders, the Feds intervene and levy a fine on ABC. In theory that deters companies like ABC and Uncle Sam spend that money on law enforcement to stop future crimes. I just don't see the NCAA fitting into that analogy.

Apparently PSU has said they will NOT appeal the sanctions.

The CBS Sports article said that the fine will go towards a charity. That's usually the case for all NCAA fines though.

I heard something like:

5 year bowl ban

Probation

Huge fine (30 million+)

If that all is true,

Apparently PSU has said they will NOT appeal the sanctions.

The CBS Sports article said that the fine will go towards a charity. That's usually the case for all NCAA fines though.

thanks. It's all academic in 2.5 hours

I heard something like:

5 year bowl ban

Probation

Huge fine (30 million+)

Are they saying players will be able to transfer, penalty-free, if they choose to do so? 'Cause what's being described here is pretty bad...in some aspects, the 'Death Penalty' may have been kinder...

...and what's odd is that I would be perfectly content with this punishment being metered out to, say, a Miami program that has been a wretched hive of scum and villainy (and willfully so) for quite some time. To me, the Miami issue shows that the institution is rotten to the core, down to the players that were on the team.

As for Penn State, the players and fans had nothing to do with this, and the University will be (fiscally) flogged repeatedly in public during the subsequent civil trials. This does smack of piling on by the NCAA, just to be on the right side of history for once since the early 80s.

Not saying that Penn State should go though this unscathed by the NCAA, as there is a certain lack of institutional control here...but I don't know that the NCAA is going about this correctly, or making the punishment fit the crime.