Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

Is this right?

Penn State received a penalty of 10 initial scholarships and 20 total

per year starting in 2013. What this means is that Penn State's recruiting class size is

restricted to 15 for each of the next four years, and that the maximum

roster size for each of the next four years is 65.

Since the reduction starts in 2013 so it breaks down like this:

2012 - 85

2013 - 65

2014 - 65

2015 - 65

2016 - 65

2017 - 85

PSU also cannot award more than 15 scholies per year to new recruits from 2013 - 2016.

I thought it was 10 initially and 20 Total over 4 years.

2012 - 85

2013 - 75

2014 - 70

2015 - 65

2016 - 65

What I am missing?

Jesse Palmer and Lou Holtz make me sick.Nothing but sympathy for Penn St. No mention or sympathy for any of the victims.ESPN and Penn ST, get a F'ing clue.Penn State is getting what they desserve.

Holtz's comments were laughable. He was cited by the NCAA for learning about rules violations and not reporting them at Notre Dame. He also had violations at Minnesota and South Carolina. Having him comment on the NCAA sanctions shows really bad judgment by ESPN.

• Fire 3

Holtz's comments were laughable. He was cited by the NCAA for learning about rules violations and not reporting them at Notre Dame. He also had violations at Minnesota and South Carolina. Having him comment on the NCAA sanctions shows really bad judgment by ESPN.

Amen. But then, ESPN long ago stopped caring about credibility.

• Fire 1

Desmond Howard had a great response to all the "the NCAA decision hurts people who had nothing to do with the scandal"

Current players can leave and play immediately, future recruits can choose to go elsewhere, even Coach OBrien can probably leave.

The real people who were hurt were all the kids who were victimized by Sandusky because Paterno and Spanier (Chancelor "vulnerable") and others did nothing.

You might be right, I really don't know, I found that on the Penn State site. I think that they can't have over 65 scholarship players at all, until 2017?

Rittenberg/Bennett@ESPN_BigTen

As far as total scholarships, PSU must play with only 65 scholarship players for 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 seasons. Back to 85 in 2018.

That's harsh IMO to destroy the program for the fans and the alumni(who I hate by the way) just because of 4 men.

Desmond Howard had a great response to all the "the NCAA decision hurts people who had nothing to do with the scandal"

Current players can leave and play immediately, future recruits can choose to go elsewhere, even Coach OBrien can probably leave.

The real people who were hurt were all the kids who were victimized by Sandusky because Paterno and Spanier (Chancelor "vulnerable") and others did nothing.

What a lot of people seem to forget is every NCAA sanction hurts the innocent. This situation is clearly outside the realm of what the NCAA has handed down sanctions for in the past, but the general idea is the same. A few people screwed up, and now an entire program has to pay. Is it fair to all parties concerned? No. But like I said, in most of these situations, fairness isn't the priority. It's about sending a message and making an example.

Furthermore, as you pointed out, the real people who were hurt were those that suffered from Sandusky's pedophilia. The sanctions do nothing to rectify the physical and emotional damage that's be done to those kids. People keep saying "how does this help the kids who were hurt?" It doesn't, and it wasn't supposed to. This was about making a statement to other football programs.

You might be right, I really don't know, I found that on the Penn State site. I think that they can't have over 65 scholarship players at all, until 2017?

As far as total scholarships, PSU must play with only 65 scholarship players for 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 seasons. Back to 85 in 2018.

That's harsh IMO to destroy the program for the fans and the alumni(who I hate by the way) just because of 4 men.

it is harsh, but it was not *just* four men. it was the most powerful four men who ran that institution, not to mention everyone else who knew about it and did nothing either to protect the school or their own jobs.

Not sure there's any way to prove it, but I would be very surprised if only four people were in on the cover-up. Still, it's sad that a heinous crime that has absolutely nothing to do with football can take down a great fb program like this.

What a lot of people seem to forget is every NCAA sanction hurts the innocent. This situation is clearly outside the realm of what the NCAA has handed down sanctions for in the past, but the general idea is the same. A few people screwed up, and now an entire program has to pay. Is it fair to all parties concerned? No. But like I said, in most of these situations, fairness isn't the priority. It's about sending a message and making an example.

This is absolutely right. The NCAA is essentially saying, "If you allow this to happen in your program, we're going to bitch slap you into the previous decade." It's all about sending a message.

Usually, vacating wins is a merely symbolic event and folks still consider team “X” as a defending conference champion or streaks remain intact in the consciousness of fans etc.

But with the heightened awareness because of Paterno’s record, this will have more traction.

So, from a purely parochial and selfish viewpoint, doesn’t this move us up on the all-time wins list ladder?

Why would it? We're already ahead of Penn State in all-time wins...