Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

PSU fans on that scout message board have gone off the deep end. They are blaming ESPN and threatening to cancel there ESPN and BTN subscription lol.....yeah good luck with that see if they care

Some of the chuckleheads are no longer going to support PSU. NCAAs corrective measures are already working - FACT

http://mbd.scout.com...=1395&t=9166693

I love how they're trying to vilify Rodney Erickson for taking the deal and not appealing.

Don't the PSU fans realize that the last thing they need is the NCAA snooping around even further into this, especially if the quid pro quo slush-fund for silence rumors from Sandusky's Second Mile Organization are to be believed?

Not to mention the fact that it would make them look like a-holes (I mean, more than they already do)

Now that Penn State and tOSU both have bowl sanctions it would be possible for a team to go 4-4 in B1G play, or worse, and still make the Rose Bowl. (That is, if they won the CCG). Look at Purdue last year sitting in third at 4-4. LINK. If that was tOSU and PSU ahead of them Purdue would've played in the CCG for a chance to go to Pasedena.

If UCLA could have gotten that elusive 7th win against Oregon last year they would have been in the Rose Bowl. Wisconsin is going to have to fall drastically short of expectations this year for a team to make it to the title game at 4-4 though.

Now that Penn State and tOSU both have bowl sanctions it would be possible for a team to go 4-4 in B1G play, or worse, and still make the Rose Bowl. (That is, if they won the CCG). Look at Purdue last year sitting in third at 4-4. LINK. If that was tOSU and PSU ahead of them Purdue would've played in the CCG for a chance to go to Pasedena.

If UCLA could have gotten that elusive 7th win against Oregon last year they would have been in the Rose Bowl. Wisconsin is going to have to fall drastically short of expectations this year for a team to make it to the title game at 4-4 though.

Yeah, I don't think that will happen. I'm just saying that any team that shows up with a pulse this year in the Leaders is going to get a CCG invite. It won't take much better than a .500 record to get in. So the Wiscy cheese-head fans might as well start booking hotel rooms right now.

Just proves that you don't put up statues of people that are still a part of this world.

9YYqD.jpg

err, we have a statue of Osborne in front of our stadium.

Our's is a statue of Berringer..........T.O. just happened to wander by..........

• Fire 1

Kinda doubt that it is the statue of a living person in front of the stadium that forms the problem. Seems to me is IS a problem if the person the statue represents has a skewed set of priorities. A poster on a Penn State board pointed out that Paterno hated players skipping class, violating his rules, and having a beer a whole lot more than he hated child abuse. That is a pretty wobbly set of priorities IMHO. It would be very interesting to know how Joe Pa justified a continuing relationship with Jerry Sandusky even if he only knew that the guy showered with children! Seems to me pretty important that we recognize the incredible dedication the guy demonstrated to his version of a quality football program including high behavior and moral standards for his players. At the same time, I'm glad he no longer holds the total win record and we owe it to ourselves to always examine our priorities and those of our organizations to which we give allegiance.

What four losses do you see on our schedule?

Two I can see. I don't know about four and I certainly don't see UW being as bad as UCLA last year.

Yeah, one loss at least. Maybe two. I doubt you guys will drop four. But if you did, you'd still most likely get an invite to the CCG. That's all I meant by my post above. (Translation: Sans tOSU and Penn State, your side of the conf doesn't have much competition at the top).

Two I can see. I don't know about four and I certainly don't see UW being as bad as UCLA last year.

Yeah, one loss at least. Maybe two. I doubt you guys will drop four. But if you did, you'd still most likely get an invite to the CCG. That's all I meant by my post above. (Translation: Sans tOSU and Penn State, your side of the conf doesn't have much competition at the top).

Thou shalt not slander Indiana.

Desmond Howard had a great response to all the "the NCAA decision hurts people who had nothing to do with the scandal"

Current players can leave and play immediately, future recruits can choose to go elsewhere, even Coach OBrien can probably leave.

The real people who were hurt were all the kids who were victimized by Sandusky because Paterno and Spanier (Chancelor "vulnerable") and others did nothing.

What a lot of people seem to forget is every NCAA sanction hurts the innocent. This situation is clearly outside the realm of what the NCAA has handed down sanctions for in the past, but the general idea is the same. A few people screwed up, and now an entire program has to pay. Is it fair to all parties concerned? No. But like I said, in most of these situations, fairness isn't the priority. It's about sending a message and making an example.

Furthermore, as you pointed out, the real people who were hurt were those that suffered from Sandusky's pedophilia. The sanctions do nothing to rectify the physical and emotional damage that's be done to those kids. People keep saying "how does this help the kids who were hurt?" It doesn't, and it wasn't supposed to. This was about making a statement to other football programs.

This goes beyond current players and future recruits. This goes beyond the football program. It's going to negatively impact other sports, the academic side, the community, employees, etc. Misbehaving programs should be punished, but as much care as possible should be used to contain it to just the individual program, and the actual people involved. Too often, the main offenders are barely affected. Think Pete Carroll.

And I also have a little trouble without seeing this as a golden oppurtunity for the NCAA to come out and look "tough" when they're so ineffectual at dealing with anything else that goes on in the league. They can feel free to pile on, and anyone who cries foul becomes a pedo-enabler.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more it seems the NCAA panicked and had to come up with something on the spot. They really had no plan for something like this but were afraid to say it was beyond their reach.

I wonder if the NCAA will use their new bad behavior powers equitably.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more it seems the NCAA panicked and had to come up with something on the spot. They really had no plan for something like this but were afraid to say it was beyond their reach.

I kinda agree with this. I don't think the punishment meted out to PSU was too much, but I also don't think this was a well-thought-out punishment, either.

I also think that with all the bad press the NCAA has been getting lately, they felt they had to "do something big" to re-establish themselves. So they did, and I have no problem with the harshness of the penalties.

However, I would like to see a similar tough stance taken on other egregious offenders. With the obvious caveat that nothing on the slate right now remotely compares to the Sandusky scandal, it is to be hoped that a very large hammer is dropped on career offender Miami.

What four losses do you see on our schedule?

I said for a 4-4 team to make the title game Wisconsin is going to have to fall drastically short of expectations. I don't see four losses there.

I kinda agree with this. I don't think the punishment meted out to PSU was too much, but I also don't think this was a well-thought-out punishment, either.

I also think that with all the bad press the NCAA has been getting lately, they felt they had to "do something big" to re-establish themselves. So they did, and I have no problem with the harshness of the penalties.

However, I would like to see a similar tough stance taken on other egregious offenders. With the obvious caveat that nothing on the slate right now remotely compares to the Sandusky scandal, it is to be hoped that a very large hammer is dropped on career offender Miami.

I am guessing serial offenders like Miami are plenty worried right now..............