Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

Reading some posts on their Rivals board it seems many of them want out of the Big Ten;

1) We have never been accepted. This is quite obvious. From the lack of support for national championship in '94 to the extra 2 seconds at Michigan to the piling on our current penalties and countless other examples. The Big 10 resents Penn State. Some of it was that Joe was bigger than anything they EVER produced and some of it was the way we came in to the league and immediately made them look silly with how bad we were destroying their flagships like tO$U.

2) The Big 10 area and Big 10 schools are in major decline. Their future is dim. Economically their region is crumbling. They refuse to join the 21st century and it is doing them in. All of the young talent with a future from their universities are moving to other areas of the country where they actually have a future.

3) Other areas of the country and conferences are on the rise. Specifically I think the ACC makes the most sense. First, they are our natural rivals. Second, they are reinventing themselves economically, innovating, and experiencing significant growth. Third, we would get a fresh start and a fair shake. We don't get any of that with the Big 10. The Big 10 currently pulls in more money, but a Big 10 minus PSU and on it's current downward path will easily be surpassed by an exciting and growing ACC with PSU (and possibly Notre Dame) in the near future.

4) The time is now. We were dealt a horrendous hand with this Sandusky crime and the misapplication of justice as a result. We don't have to accept being pummeled by the Big 10 and constantly reminded by them of the crimes of a heinous individual and a few who didn't stop him. We don't have to let the Big 10 shape us as their whipping boy like they have done to every Big 10 school not named Michigan or tO$U. But in the ruins, there is a rebirth of Penn State. We can be free of the sins of the past if we get a truly new start. We CAN move on. We can make a new beginning in an exciting new conference that would treat us with respect and we can be Penn State again. We are...PENN STATE!

Penn State ain't gonna work on the Buckverine Plantation no more......and we're taking the East Coast recruiting pipelines and television networks with us.

The ACC instantly vaults past the Big Ten and into the league of the SEC and Big 12 the minute Penn State's name is dry on the contract. Whatever, the ultimate ramifications of the sanctions, the ACC knows that they would be making a hundred year decision in taking Penn State.

Penn St would fit into the ACC better than it does with the Big Ten in 3 key ways: academically, culturally, and geographically.

ACC football has been so close to the Big Ten in quality that the difference does not matter.

So they'd rather play teams like Maryland, Wake, BC, Duke and GT each season than Nebraska, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Ohio State? I suppose that makes sense given some of their history and location but as a fan that'd be a horrible downgrade. Like all things found on message boards its hard to tell how representative these posts are of PSU's fanbase as a whole. Are they speaking for others or are they simply a vocal minority?

Hypothetically speaking...assuming they all feel this way then I say go ahead and get the hell out. Won't miss you.

Reading some posts on their Rivals board it seems many of them want out of the Big Ten;

1) We have never been accepted. This is quite obvious. From the lack of support for national championship in '94 to the extra 2 seconds at Michigan to the piling on our current penalties and countless other examples. The Big 10 resents Penn State. Some of it was that Joe was bigger than anything they EVER produced and some of it was the way we came in to the league and immediately made them look silly with how bad we were destroying their flagships like tO$U.

2) The Big 10 area and Big 10 schools are in major decline. Their future is dim. Economically their region is crumbling. They refuse to join the 21st century and it is doing them in. All of the young talent with a future from their universities are moving to other areas of the country where they actually have a future.

3) Other areas of the country and conferences are on the rise. Specifically I think the ACC makes the most sense. First, they are our natural rivals. Second, they are reinventing themselves economically, innovating, and experiencing significant growth. Third, we would get a fresh start and a fair shake. We don't get any of that with the Big 10. The Big 10 currently pulls in more money, but a Big 10 minus PSU and on it's current downward path will easily be surpassed by an exciting and growing ACC with PSU (and possibly Notre Dame) in the near future.

4) The time is now. We were dealt a horrendous hand with this Sandusky crime and the misapplication of justice as a result. We don't have to accept being pummeled by the Big 10 and constantly reminded by them of the crimes of a heinous individual and a few who didn't stop him. We don't have to let the Big 10 shape us as their whipping boy like they have done to every Big 10 school not named Michigan or tO$U. But in the ruins, there is a rebirth of Penn State. We can be free of the sins of the past if we get a truly new start. We CAN move on. We can make a new beginning in an exciting new conference that would treat us with respect and we can be Penn State again. We are...PENN STATE!

Penn State ain't gonna work on the Buckverine Plantation no more......and we're taking the East Coast recruiting pipelines and television networks with us.

The ACC instantly vaults past the Big Ten and into the league of the SEC and Big 12 the minute Penn State's name is dry on the contract. Whatever, the ultimate ramifications of the sanctions, the ACC knows that they would be making a hundred year decision in taking Penn State.

Penn St would fit into the ACC better than it does with the Big Ten in 3 key ways: academically, culturally, and geographically.

ACC football has been so close to the Big Ten in quality that the difference does not matter.

tumblr_m7otno8WVF1qkiabg.gif

So they'd rather play teams like Maryland, Wake, BC, Duke and GT each season than Nebraska, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Ohio State? I suppose that makes sense given some of their history and location but as a fan that'd be a horrible downgrade. Like all things found on message boards its hard to tell how representative these posts are of PSU's fanbase as a whole. Are they speaking for others or are they simply a vocal minority?

Hypothetically speaking...assuming they all feel this way then I say go ahead and get the hell out. Won't miss you.

I don't remember any Penn State fans calling for membership in the ACC before this whole fiasco. It's obviously because they know they won't be able to compete with top Big Ten teams for several years, if ever again.

One way or the other, distancing itself from Penn State would be a good thing for the Big Ten.

I guess they might do better in basketball? Maybe? I guess they could finish higher than 7 or 8.

I think what is happening is that they going through those stages of grieving and now they are starting to realize a few things

1. Players are leaving the team, they might not all be the stars but the depth is going to get really thin

2. Sure as of right now the the current verbals are sticking with the team but we all know how that can change

3. The "uh-oh" feeling of Indiana, Purdue and Minnesota all getting some wins

4. At first, no bowl games was "no big deal" now, its starting to sink in that it sucks.

Personally, I think they have a 50% chance to keep the current verbals together, for the most part. After this year, is when it will get UGLY

The transfers are starting to become known. My guess is that this week is just the first round of transfers. The next week is when it starts to snowball, if it is going to snowball. Other more marginal players see the key losses and that the team is going to seriously struggle and suddenly transferring to Tulsa or Maryland doesn't seem like such a step back anymore.

The transfers are starting to become known. My guess is that this week is just the first round of transfers. The next week is when it starts to snowball, if it is going to snowball. Other more marginal players see the key losses and that the team is going to seriously struggle and suddenly transferring to Tulsa or Maryland doesn't seem like such a step back anymore.

I think a few will before this season, but it might be a tidal wave come December. They will have the benefit of spring ball to earn a roster spot.

They need to transfer before reporting for practice to play immediately at another school. PSU starts practice Monday, so it looks like most of the transfers will be over the next few days. There is another rule that doesn't exactly mesh with that one, which is that if they haven't played in any games for PSU after the start of the season then they can transfer and immediately play.

''He (Sandusky) continues to believe that the truth will come out at some point, and that he'll get another trial or another opportunity to establish his innocence.'' --Sandusky's lawyer Joe Amendola told the Associated Press. LINK

In an unrelated story, O.J. Simpson continues the search for his ex-wife's killer.

• Fire 1
In an unrelated story, O.J. Simpson continues the search for his ex-wife's killer.

He's in Nevada.

I hope your conference commissioner and PsTB are taking notes on how the punishment is becoming a boon to Southern Cal and the PAC.

On death's door: Inside the negotiations that brought Penn State football to the brink of extinction

By Don Van Natta Jr. | ESPN The Magazine Updated: August 3, 2012, 6:09 PM ET

<snip>

That same morning, NCAA President Mark A. Emmert called Penn State President Rodney A. Erickson and told him the majority of the NCAA's Division I board of directors -- 18 university presidents -- had coalesced around a decision: Shut down Penn State's football program for four years.

LINK

Fascinating account of the inner workings of a university in turmoil.

On death's door: Inside the negotiations that brought Penn State football to the brink of extinction

By Don Van Natta Jr. | ESPN The Magazine Updated: August 3, 2012, 6:09 PM ET

<snip>

That same morning, NCAA President Mark A. Emmert called Penn State President Rodney A. Erickson and told him the majority of the NCAA's Division I board of directors -- 18 university presidents -- had coalesced around a decision: Shut down Penn State's football program for four years.

LINK

Fascinating account of the inner workings of a university in turmoil.

But Penn State consented to the sanctions. I got sanctioned on NDNation for comparing it to another kind of consent.