Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

Book: Paterno, Sandusky were at odds

By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com, Aug. 17, 2012

<snip>

The Patriot-News reports on the relevant passages from the book, which divulges that Paterno had written what the family called a "Why I Hate Jerry Sandusky" memo in 1993.

"In it Paterno complained that Sandusky had stopped recruiting, seemed constantly distracted, had lost his energy for coaching, and was more interested in his charity, The Second Mile. "He would gripe about Jerry all the time," one family member said."

LINK

So now we find out that Joe Pa hated Sandusky. Next thing you know Penn State will be putting that statue back up. :facepalm:

Book: Paterno, Sandusky were at odds

By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com, Aug. 17, 2012

<snip>

The Patriot-News reports on the relevant passages from the book, which divulges that Paterno had written what the family called a "Why I Hate Jerry Sandusky" memo in 1993.

"In it Paterno complained that Sandusky had stopped recruiting, seemed constantly distracted, had lost his energy for coaching, and was more interested in his charity, The Second Mile. "He would gripe about Jerry all the time," one family member said."

LINK

So now we find out that Joe Pa hated Sandusky. Next thing you know Penn State will be putting that statue back up. :facepalm:

I recall something of this nature coming out months before Sandusky was officially detained, for some reason...but I naturally can't find it.

The thing is, *if* this were true, then why did Joe Pa keep Sandusky on at all? Makes me wonder if Sandusky had something on Joe Pa, et al, that he was able to leverage to keep his job and, later, his access to the program.

And then I think back to the rumors of 'Second Mile' money being used as a slush fund to pay players and recruits...

"one family member said"

Heh.

Hey family, I have this great idea, if we make it seem like Jo hated Sandusky, it won't make him look as bad, yawn, f#*k the entire institution and the patterno's

yeah. and honestly it makes it worse. so he hated this guy (or whatever), but not enough to stop him from being a predator?

yeah. and honestly it makes it worse. so he hated this guy (or whatever), but not enough to stop him from being a predator?

That is exactly what I thought as well.

Trying to protect a friend is certainly less repulsive than trying to prevent something from affecting your own name/legacy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another day in Happy Valley

.../snip/...

“I just remember how terrible the traffic was getting in and out of Penn State that day,” Osborne recalled. “We were on a two-lane road, and it seemed like it took us forever. I remember leaving for the stadium and getting behind this guy who was driving about 35 miles an hour because he knew it was our bus behind him. Because of the traffic coming at us and having only two lanes on a busy highway, there was nothing we could do. We went about 30 or 40 miles that way, and this guy finally pulls off, so our bus driver pulled off with him.

“I was really angry,” Osborne admitted. “I got off the bus and went over to his car, and it wasn’t a very pleasant sight. This guy obviously had been drinking, and he had a car full with his wife and kids, and they were all crying when I came up to the car. I just said to him: ‘Please don’t ever do something like that again.’ I mean, he deliberately stonewalled us, but when I saw the kids, I felt really bad. I didn’t know what I was going to do to him. I was just so angry that somebody would do something like that, and I just didn’t want it to happen again to someone else.”

.../cont/...

31 Years Ago Was a Long, Winding Road for Osborne