Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

Jesse Palmer and Lou Holtz make me sick.Nothing but sympathy for Penn St. No mention or sympathy for any of the victims.ESPN and Penn ST, get a F'ing clue.Penn State is getting what they desserve.

Holtz's comments were laughable. He was cited by the NCAA for learning about rules violations and not reporting them at Notre Dame. He also had violations at Minnesota and South Carolina. Having him comment on the NCAA sanctions shows really bad judgment by ESPN.

Whenever Holtz speaks, I visualize a small miniature windshield wiper over his mouth protecting my flat screen from spittle projectiles............

• Fire 1

Usually, vacating wins is a merely symbolic event and folks still consider team “X” as a defending conference champion or streaks remain intact in the consciousness of fans etc.

But with the heightened awareness because of Paterno’s record, this will have more traction.

So, from a purely parochial and selfish viewpoint, doesn’t this move us up on the all-time wins list ladder?

Why would it? We're already ahead of Penn State in all-time wins...

Thanks.........I knew we were pretty close to them and was unsure who was ahead between us..........

Usually, vacating wins is a merely symbolic event and folks still consider team “X” as a defending conference champion or streaks remain intact in the consciousness of fans etc.

But with the heightened awareness because of Paterno’s record, this will have more traction.

So, from a purely parochial and selfish viewpoint, doesn’t this move us up on the all-time wins list ladder?

Thanks.........I knew we were pretty close to them and was unsure who was ahead between us..........

PSU moved from 5th all time to 13th.

Now I am also hearing down to 14th, not sure which number is correct.

What happens if during the criminal trials of the PSU administrators it comes out that it was the State College Police Dept mishandling of that matter that led to their poor decisions not to take harsher actions against Sandusky? When the allegations first came out, weren't they reported properly to the police and the police found no evidence? PSU administrators could have relied on that info.

Anyway, it seems as if the NCAA lowered the hammer relying solely on the Freeh report and more information is yet to be decided in the legal system.

Will a manatory retirement age come out of this? No more coaching past 65/62.

What a befuddling comment. You're saying people lose all sense of morality when they get old?

Also... 62 and 65 are weird ages to pick. I'm guessing you don't know many people in their 60s or 70s if you think people suck at decisions when they're that young.

Will a manatory retirement age come out of this? No more coaching past 65/62.

What a befuddling comment. You're saying people lose all sense of morality when they get old?

Also... 62 and 65 are weird ages to pick. I'm guessing you don't know many people in their 60s or 70s if you think people suck at decisions when they're that young.

Mandatory retirement ages are not uncommon. I have one in my business. You don't think some of the issues would have been averted if JoePa was forced to retire 5,10 or whenever years ago and he hadn't accumulated all the power he had?

Mandatory retirement ages are not uncommon. I have one in my business. You don't think some of the issues would have been averted if JoePa was forced to retire 5,10 or whenever years ago and he hadn't accumulated all the power he had?

What you're talking about has nothing to do with age, but with remaining in a head coaching position for a long period of time.

I actually had to watch it twice just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating what they were actually saying. No wonder the cover-up lasted as long as it did. The PSU coaches, president, and administrators knew they had nothing to worry about as long as they were confident the fan base wasn't going to care or say jack-sh*t about anything they knew. Long live the football program.

Spend 15 minutes on a PSU message board (the best stuff is on BWI/McAndrews).

It will shake your faith in humanity.

The SEC's biggest competitors have been slammed recently - USC, B1G (OSU, PSU).

Come on, even with their recent troubles the TSUN is still a bigger fish than PSU. Heck Wisconsin has a pretty strong argument that they are as well.

Also interesting that the NCAA left them selves a window for further punishments if more information comes out.

An absolutely necessary decision. The NCAA has no subpoena power. Freeh had no subpoena power. You have the potential of federal investigators coming in who actually can subpoena individuals & records not to mention the upcoming decade of civil suits that will force people to actually answer questions under oath.

This is just the very beginning of the story.

They are now Indiana University for the forseeable future.

Tom Crean laughs at your claim.

Amen. But then, ESPN long ago stopped caring about credibility.

Troof

Pete Thamel ‏@PeteThamelNYT

Crunching the numbers on Penn State and scholarships. They likely won't be back to 85 scholarships until 2020. Think about that.

Not sure how he got to that number, but hey here is what he is thinking.

At the end of the reductions they will have a class of seniors graduating. Due to the 25 max new players per year it will take them a couple of years to get back up to full strength.

So 65 - (let's say 15 seniors) + 25 = 75

it is harsh, but it was not *just* four men. it was the most powerful four men who ran that institution, not to mention everyone else who knew about it and did nothing either to protect the school or their own jobs.

Despite his misgivings Provost Rodney Erickson went along with the decision to name Jerry Sandusky 'Professor Emeritus' in 1999.

Rodney Erickson is the current interim President at PSU.

There are a lot more than 4 people who allowed Graham Spanier & Joe Paterno to use position to force through their personal agendas.

That made me chuckle. If you want to really get a laugh take a look at who the majority of the PSU victories were over (before they joined the Big Ten).